Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Jayahalasi

several problems hopefully someone can help.

The first problem i'm having is; whe I started my car today my brake light would not go off. I tried setting and releasing my parking brake.... checked my brake fluid.... the only thing that worked was, I Set my parking brake and reversed a few feet. and it went away when i released the the parking brake.

I don't know exactly what caused this and if it could be another problem that I need to look into. any suggestions?

a few other problems

1. There is oil that appears to be leaking from the rubber seals on either side of the egine. but I do not appear to be losing any oil.

2. A small amount of smoke occaisionally comes out from underneath the engine when I turn my car off (atleast thats the only time it's noticeable)

3. a large ammount of condensation builds up on various coolant hoses, and one of them appears to some "mysterious grean stuff" on it ( i am not currently using antifreeze)

thanks in advance
Old 10-14-2005, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayahalasi
The first problem i'm having is; whe I started my car today my brake light would not go off. I tried setting and releasing my parking brake.... checked my brake fluid.... the only thing that worked was, I Set my parking brake and reversed a few feet. and it went away when i released the the parking brake.
The brake light thing is probably a quirk and may not happen again if you topped-off the fluid, but keep an eye on the fluid level.

Quote:
1. There is oil that appears to be leaking from the rubber seals on either side of the egine. but I do not appear to be losing any oil.
Normal for any old Subaru. The cam cover gaskets are leaking.

Quote:
2. A small amount of smoke occaisionally comes out from underneath the engine when I turn my car off (atleast thats the only time it's noticeable)
Oil, transmission or power steering fluid leaking onto your exhaust.

Quote:
3. a large ammount of condensation builds up on various coolant hoses, and one of them appears to some "mysterious grean stuff" on it ( i am not currently using antifreeze)
Rotten hoses. And you ought to be using antifreeze in Knoxville, IMHO, because it's also anti-boil.

Good luck,
dcb
Old 10-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The brake light will come on when the fluid is low in the master cylinder. There is a float in the reservoir. Sometimes the rubber gasket can push the float down and make the light stay on. This usually happens in colder weather.

Valve cover gaskets are starting to leak. They will get worse.

Something else is leaking and burning on the exhaust.

Condensate will accumulate on anything cold. It could be your hoses are cold and the air is moist and condensate collects on the hoses over night. This should not happen during the day or when the engine is hot.