SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Small Car shift kit

Hello,
I am a relatively new member to the site and newer owner (May 05) of a Pearl 92 SVX-L, currently 57K miles, it was babied. It runs great, but in order to insure that I have added the smallcar shift kit and soon a tranny cooler. I have researched a fair bit on this website concerning the shift kit, and apparently I am like some other SVX owners with the shift kit installed to get the 16 flashes of the power light when starting the car. I just bought it last week. My subaru mechanic did the install according to small car's directions. He cut the green wire/red stripe. Upon completing the self test (3 times now), my power light blinks every 1/4 second, which is normal according to other posts/results. So, should I ignore the 16 blinks every cold start-up? I say cold because if I shut the car off, then immediately turn it on, no flashes. The shift kit seems to be functioning (factory setting), my SVX does shift faster. It was fine before though. So, my question to other SVX owners, should I ignore the 16 flashes? Move the setting on the shift kit? Remove it, ask small car for a new one? Thanks, BIRD
Old 09-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

The old Smallcar shift kits caused the blinking power light. My understanding is that a resistor was added to prevent this. Do you have a resistor between the two posts?

The old model had 3 posts and sometimes the wires were connected to the wrong post. I think the new version only has two posts. If not, check to make sure it is connected to the right posts.

--Matt
Old 09-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I know it "shouldn't" make a difference but... this can't be a coincidence.

Everyone who I know who has successfully installed the kit, myself, Chike, Immortal Suby (check his locker), newsvx, and others has cut the green wire with the yellow stripe and left the green/red one intact.

Trevor, one of our more experienced and knowledgable members, first suggested this when the kit first came out. He also was the one to help smallcar configure the resistance circuit to stop the 16 blinks. Trevor recommended cutting the green/yellow, so I went with his advice and cut the green/yellow one (just to be safe).

I noticed that you had cut the green/red wire instead. Why not reconnect the green/red wire and splice the green/yellow one. Shouldn't take too long . I know it shouldn't make a difference, but... we're talkin' SVX here.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Which wire ?

Hi John hope you are well.

It doesn't matter which wire you cut. That does matter is which end of the wire is connected to the resistor that is in the Shift kit, when it opens.

g/r wire------dropping res-------kit res------switch contacts-----g/y----A sol.
This will run the g/r wire to ground through the kit resistor, and all will be well.

If it is connected;
g/r wire----dropping res-----switch contacts----kit res-----g/y wire---A sol.

When the kit switch opens, the dropping resistor line is open circuit, and the A sol is connected to ground through the kit resistor. This will bring on the light, as the TCU detects the open.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. As far as the shift kit goes, I have cut the green wire/yellow stripe, installed it according to the directions and I still get the 16 POWER flashes at start up. Calling Small Car, I confirmed the kit was installed correctly and the 16 flashes are not of concern. Car seems to be shifting well, and shifting faster. Hope it stays that way, BIRD
Old 10-07-2005, 08:54 PM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I just installed mine tonight....It's the green w/yellow stripe.
I had the 16 flashes before hand, now I don't. Car seems to shift well...Although Small Car could have provided some extra slack with the hose....I had a hard time reusing the current hose and trying to fit that onto the wimpy t-fitting which I almost cracked. Note to self - buy new t-fitting and newer hose before it gets to used and unbendable
Old 10-10-2005, 06:20 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
resisitor turns off Power light

Bird. I have a 92. had same issue with power light. If the power light annoys you, you can keep it from coming on by adding a resitor bridged between the gr/yellow & gr/red wires. You add the resistor before the shift kit and stock resistor. I was using the "new" shift kit (new shift kit is same as old with an added resistor and the center pole connector cut off.)

nordique14 actually posted some good stuff on getting the light to go off using an add on resitor. I added three resitors in series to total 514ohm - (2.25 watts). It fixed the problem. No more blinking power light. Shift kit works the same!!!