How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-29-2004, 12:02 PM
slacker

Differential Lubricant Viscosity

My son acquired a 92 with Front Differential binding on hard turns, particularly left turns. No binding or problems straight line or mild turns.

Recognized the differential clutch binding problem immediately from experience with a 66 Riviera positraction rear end (changed the lubricant and it cured it).

On checking the LS front different fluid, it struck me the visosity seemed to thin, maybe about 40 weight (guess).

The car had only been driven for less than two miles (when checked). I realize the longer it's driven the lubricant warms up and gets thinner..

The GM Positraction lubricant was thick as honey in January, and took a while to put in.

Question (finally): Has anyone seen the differential lubricant and care to share with me the apparent viscosity.

Last edited by slacker; 02-29-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
API GL-5
80w/90 or
80w if it stays below 90'F

This is in the owners manual, but I'm guessing you don't have one if you are asking...

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 02-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Green1995SVX

I use 75w 90 synthetic. Try adding some posi additive to the differential with the fluid change.

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I was just in the garage and saw that I used 75w/90 Amsoil synthetic.

I remember now that I couldn't find 80w/90 when I looked.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 02-29-2004, 05:30 PM
slacker

Re: Lubricant

No, no owners manual, bid and paid for the complete service manual set a couple weeks ago and hopefull it has shipped (waiting on the U/L radiator hoses added to the order).

Is the Brad Penn #266-7478 the best and most widely used additive?

Thanks to all that responded.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: Lubricant

Quote:
Originally posted by slacker
No, no owners manual, bid and paid for the complete service manual set a couple weeks ago and hopefull it has shipped (waiting on the U/L radiator hoses added to the order).

That's what I use, but I think it's only available locally in western PA.

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 06:03 PM
SVX Appeal

You say FRONT differential binding? I'd say something else is going on. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but SVXs don't have a limited slip front differential, therefore no clutch binding.

Front differential exploded diagram:
http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=190-A

I've never seen an open differential bind for any reason other than munched spider or side gears. Also, the prominence during left turns indicates something mechanically awry. I'd drop a magnetic wand down the fill hole and see if it pulls anything up.

Most gearsets really aren't all that fussy about lubricants. Subaru's more complicated clutch assemblies and such are a bit of an exception to this. Surprisingly, water is actually a pretty good lubricant, but its tendency to promote oxidization (which happens instantly) makes it fairly useless as a lubricant. For this reason, in the short run some low viscosity lubricant shouldn't faze a simple open differential.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Green1995SVX

OHHH i didnt notice that where he said front. I asumed he was talking about the rear. If you have that sort of binding it's likely your AWD transfer clutchpack in the transmission.

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 07:40 PM
slacker

RE: Binding

Didn't realize the clutch pack for the front was in the transmission.

Guess a good flush is in order, and would the Brad Penn 266-7478 additive still be used for the transmission ATF lubricant?

Access to a spectrographic oil analysis facility would be helpful, they use oil analysis to monitor aircraft engine wear.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: RE: Binding

Quote:
Didn't realize the clutch pack for the front was in the transmission.

Guess a good flush is in order, and would the Brad Penn 266-7478 additive still be used for the transmission ATF lubricant?

Access to a spectrographic oil analysis facility would be helpful, they use oil analysis to monitor aircraft engine wear.
That brad penn lubricant has a 100% success rate for fixing binding transmission clutch packs. Dump a bottle in your gearbox and you'll be all set.

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 08:14 PM
slacker

Re: Brad Penn

Thanks Mike, I'll call Brad Penn in the morning, notice they distribute their products, didn't find 266-7478 listed

Did see a Gulf # 332401 additive (on their page) that may be the same thing. Gulf calls 332401 a slip additive concetrate.

We shall see in the morning,
Old 03-02-2004, 06:30 PM
gamblergw

Re: Re: Lubricant

Quote:

Can you tell me who you bought the service manuals from.. Was it on ebay? I to bought the 4 service manuals 3 weeks ago and have not received them yet.. I paid that day via paypal. They said that they would be in from SOA in a couple of days, and would ship then. That was about 3 weeks ago.I wonder????? ... Jim
Old 03-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
I'm wondering, after trying for days to find a way to get my hands on this "miracle" lubricant how I can get some out here to the Left Coast!! I've e-mailed with American Refining Group Tech Services, referred to Coyote Performance in Sugar Grove, where I left e-mail and telephone messages. I've noticed "binding" from the front and thought I'd give your "fix" a try before my 120K-mile service comes up. Ideas? Costs? Thanks guys!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Kudos to Coyote Performance!! They called this morning and I'll have some additive on it's way as soon as my check arrives, as they don't take CC's. My wife handled the call to my home and said something I thought would be appreciated here. The guy asked if I was an SVX Club Member, as they had been getting lots of calls for this product from SVX'ers! We're recognized again!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket