Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-12-2003, 01:26 AM
fongangus

Power Steering does not work when weather is hot!!!

My power steering light will on and my car will lose power steering when the weather is cool, warm or hot. Everything will be normal only when the weather is cold. Recently the PS will need a even more colder weather to be normal. Anyone knows where is the problem? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

It sounds like the pump is worn out. How noisy is the pump? Could also be that your cooling tube is blocked with leaf material or has a dent in it. That would lower the flow. The fluid would hot fast. How hot is the tank? I change the fluid in the tank every year. I assume you have no warning lights on.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:24 PM
fongangus

There is no noisy from the PS. Just the function fail. And when the function fail, the PS warning light will go on.
And where is the cooling tube?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

It's in front of the a/c condensor.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
You might want to check the wiring harness to the sensor at the PS pump, it's just under the reservoir. I've seen the inside of the pump and there is no way for the pump to not spin while the engine is running, so even if the pump was worn out, it wouldn't be an all on/off type of failure. I'm not sure what that sensor does, but since we have speed sensitive steering, it might be some sort of actuator that controls the output of the pump. It could be that part that is bad or dirty.

KuoH
Old 02-12-2003, 08:09 PM
fongangus

Do I need to remove the reservoir to reach the sensor?
Old 02-13-2003, 01:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
You can see it here. It's the black part just left of center. You can't reach it without removing the reservoir, but you can get to the wiring harness here. Perhaps someone else here will have the information on how to test it. At the very least, you can remove and clean it. You might also want to consider temporarily bypassing the cooler and see if the problem goes away to eliminate the possibility of a clogged cooler. And ofcourse you have checked the fluid level and that it is ATF and not plain PS fluid right?

KuoH
Old 02-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Is there a diagnostic check for the speed sensitive power steering system? I seem to recall a list of trouble codes somewhere being related to steering components.