Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-01-2003, 01:23 AM
The Molinator

Smile Bad injector ? ? ? ? ? ?

Heh Guys! I THINK I'M GETTING CLOSE!!!

[Some of you know I've been plagued by an intermittent rough idle (and higher speed shuddering). . . . . WELL. . . . .]

Today, I was finally able to check something I had tried before, but couldn't, because this is an INTERMITTENT problem!!!

While running (idling) rough [usually lasts 2 to 3 minutes max!], I jumped out of the car, popped the hood, then frantically began removing injector connectors one by one. The first two caused an even rougher idle,BUT THE THIRD INJECTOR CONNECTOR, WHEN REMOVED, CAUSED NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL!!!!!!!!

Does this mean this injector is bad (I was told that injectors don't produce intermittent failures?), the harness is bad, or the controlling device (ECU?) is bad, or something else?

PLEASE let me know your thoughts - It seems we could be close!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS,
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 02-01-2003, 05:27 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

It appears to be the injector. Can you switch the position? Then you could see if it follows the move or stays with the wire.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:00 AM
The Molinator

Question Bad cylinder . . . . . .

I will swap the "bad" injector with another tomorrow! A mechanic today said that no change when pulling the connector to that injector didn't exactly mean it was the injector, but instead it indicated a BAD CYLINDER! In other words, if the coil pack were intermittently bad (not likely I hear), pulling the injector connector wouldn't change the performance, because that cylinder was already incapacitated. I'll change both (one at a time) to check each possibility SOON!

I SURE HOPE THIS IS IT!

Thanks again, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 02-02-2003, 05:07 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Hope you have got it Jim.

Best of luck!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2003, 04:44 AM
The Molinator

Thumbs up Last Hope . . . . . .

Well, I swapped the "offending" injector with another to prove it's that part (it will move the malfunction). I also put a good coil pack on the cylinder (that didn't change when the injector connector was removed during rough idle).

It should either be cured (by the "new" coil pack) or the injector (which indicates no change in performance) should change positions!

I'll keep you posted. THANKS, Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 02-03-2003 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:28 AM
ALsvx

Jim,

Did you check the voltage at the connection? If the trouble stays with the injector connector (wiring), it could be a bad connection in a harness plug or the ECU (worst case)?

Good luck
Old 02-04-2003, 09:32 PM
The Molinator

Question Injector, Coil Wire, Harness Connector or the Moon . . . . . . .

YAR RITE! It could stay with the harness - and hopefully then it would be the connector!

So far, my SVX is not idling rough enough or for long enough (either at startup or after shuddering and stopping to idle) to check which injector connector (the old or new location?) will yield no change.

However, it does still run rough and shudder a little!! [This means it was not the coil wire which I also replaced at the cylinder from where I moved the injector!!!]

I'll keep you posted, but please don't say ECU!!!! > > > > Don't even think about it!!!!!! . . . . I'm sure I could buy another Ferrari cheaper than the Suby ECU!

Thanks for your thoughts, Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 02-04-2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:27 AM

It might be worth your while to take a good long look at the connector on the wiring and the suspect injector. Maybe there is some corrosion on both ends of the junction. Now that you moved the injector it's better because some of the bad contact went with the injector and that is why it runs rough, two mildly poor connectors.

It's not the injector or ECU if you don't get the rough idle any more, is what I think.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:04 PM
The Molinator

Question INJECTOR! (I hope?) > > > > > >

WELL, since it still runs rough a little now, I deduced that the coil wire wasn't it! The only remaining things are the injector (which I moved to a new cylinder), the harness (you may be right - I normally use electrical spray on any connector, but didn't do it here ["looked OK"], or {God Forbid} the ECU.

So, today I received an injector I ordered from SubaruParts.com about two weeks ago (when I first decided the injector might actually be [one of the few left] culprits).

SOOO!, Tonite I replaced the possible "offending" injector!!! It looked a little different than my old ones (different injector end cap and smaller filter area), but of course it fit OK. I hope it was the right one - I thought I heard somewhere that you had to change all if the injector was different at all?

It worked good tonite . . . . . I'll let ya'll know, soon!

THANKS!

P.S. My wife made me drive a Nissan Murano tonite because she hates my SVX and I liked the Murano ad I saw. We have two kids, so a 5-seater would be nice. HELP! I DON"T WANT TO GET RID OF MY SVX - IF IT DOESN"T START BEHAVING SOON, I"M IN DEEP "CA CA"! [shethinksishouldspendtimewithmyfamilyinsteadofcons tantlyworkingonmycarorhereonsubarusvx.net]
Old 02-06-2003, 05:13 AM
Hater

good luck with the injector - hopefully that is the problem.
maybe i can help with the other stuff -
you can remind her that "car guys" rarely cheat on their wives. would she rather have you out in the garage saving money on repairs or spending it buying drinks for some home-wrecker (hope your wife has a sense of humor or this one could get you in trouble )
the SVX also means a lot of money you can keep in the bank as opposed to a down payment and monthly payments on a Murano or new _______. with the money you save you can take a bunch of nice family vacations.

Dr. Jones
SVX Psychologist

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-06-2003, 06:19 AM

Re: INJECTOR! (I hope?) > > > > > >

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott
P.S. My wife made me drive a Nissan Murano tonite because she hates my SVX
Me thinks that it is time to get rid of her (no, not the SVX)!

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:01 AM

Well I am past that now. My children are older and the SVX is my hobby now. My wife has been great about it and my sons love the car as much as I do.

There seat kid seat mounting points in the speaker grills. Very advanced for a 92. Why would you need seating for 5?
Old 02-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: INJECTOR! (I hope?) > > > > > >

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott
[B]My wife made me drive a Nissan Murano tonite because she hates my SVX...
*gasp*
Don't do it! Read this SUV page first... http://poseur.4x4.org/

If anything look into a Legacy Wagon.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:31 PM
The Molinator

Question 5 Seater ????

Is there a decent (or even legal) way to add a fifth seat in the center of the back seat?

[I'd do it.]

THANKS (I liked the Murano, but I should try an Outback sometime . . . . and since they're not giving any of them away at "0% - Don't pay for a year", AND . . . . . . .
SINCE MY SVX IS STILL WORKING WELL (YAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!),

I guess I'll just keep my wife and my SVX for now!!
Old 02-07-2003, 06:17 AM

I like the 95 legacy wagons, great family car. I would even get one with over 100k miles on it. Maybe it would work for you and then you keep the SVX too.