How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-27-2003, 07:23 AM
95_Lsi

Exclamation Severe smoking, pls help!!

Hello everyone from your newest member! I have a severe problem. My 95 SVX Lsi (black w/ tan interior, in case anyone was wondering) has started to smoke severley when cold.
It is definately oil smoke. It smokes like an insect control sprayer truck when first started and eventually stops after a while. (A while meaning 10-15 minutes of driving). After that it seems to clear up.
My first thought when I saw smoke was head gasket, but coolant level is fine.
I have seen a mechanic who thinks that the oil rings are frozen. This doesn't seem to make sense for a couple of reasons: 1. The car has been meticulously cared for , oil changes, etc. 2. If the oil rings were shot wouldn't it smoke all the time??
Another mechanic (friend of mine) thinks it could be valve seals, when engine is off oil runs past seals into cylinders. Upon starting oil burns off.
Someone on another SVX message board suggested PCV valve but it seems like a lot of smoke for a PCV valve.
I don't yet know how much oil is burnt per 500 or 1000 miles because I really haven't been driving her much since the problem started.
Back in the day I was competent enough to build (and re-build) a few muscle cars like a 440 road runner, 454 chevelle, 351c mustang, etc. and up until about 94 I've always done my own work so I'm not a total numbnuts when it comes to cars.
This one's got me stumped. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Got me stumped, too, Red. This is one for the Beav. Hope he can help ya.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi neighbor,

IS it just a cold weather problem and better in the summer? What kind of oil are you running?
When you first start the engine, open the oil filler pipe and see if any smoke comes out. Give it a little rpm and it should pull a vacuum on the filler hole with your hand over it.
How many miles on the engine?

Old 01-27-2003, 09:10 AM
ww111

Valve seals

In the couple of times I've had this happen to me (1 car, 1 bike) It's been the valve stem seals. But I don't think the Subarus Intake valves are situated where they would be subect to that type of oiling problem. I would agree with you about the oil rings, I've never heard of a problem with them on any vehicle short of a major failure. You could try a motor flush with your oil change and go to a higher viscosity oil, just to see if that helps. Good luck!

Collins
92 pearlie
80 TR-8
91 FZR 600 Race Bike
Old 01-28-2003, 07:19 AM
95_Lsi

Thanks all for your input. By the way, who is the BEAV???
Old 01-28-2003, 08:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by 95_Lsi
Thanks all for your input. By the way, who is the BEAV???
Carl Beaver (SN Beav), who is an excellent tech and an SVX owner. He has been unselfish in his dispensation of information and a major asset to the Network. His diagnoses are always "spot on."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
*Needs a rubber hat now* :)

I'm going to ask the first obvious question here: you have checked that the engine oil isn't overfull, haven't you? Boxer engines are more prone to smoke from overfilling than I, T and V type engines, especially if parked on non-level surfaces. Due to the angle of the valvetrain, stem seals are usually less of a problem as the oil tends to run off the valve before making its way down the stem. Almost every small block Chevy built spits a small cloud of smoke when first started due to their poor ...uh, I'll not go into that here...anyway, the amount of smoke they spit out when started rarely lasts more than a few seconds. If your problem lasts longer than that you can probably write off the valve stem theory.

Another consideration is that the muffler sits at the very rear of the car and as a result collects a great deal of moisture from the air when cooling. As the muffler cools the moisture condenses. When the engine re-heats the muffler this condensate steams until the muffler is completely dry inside. This is very common, especially in cool, humid climates. I know at this time of year my car will easily steam for 10-15 minutes. If you're like me you'll notice the cloud when idling at a stoplight, etc. but not really see anything once underway. Best bet is to keep an eye on your water and oil and if you're not using either you're probably good to go.

Last edited by Beav; 01-28-2003 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:02 AM

Registered SVX
See?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-28-2003, 11:32 AM
95_Lsi

Beav,
Thanks for the thoughts. It's definately more than condensation and it's definately oil. If you stick your finger in the tailpipe you can almost SCOOP it out

Water level doesn't change at all, but oil does go down. How much I still can't say because I'm not driving it a whole lot.

I'm getting pretty scared. Any tests you think I could have performed to help narrow things down?

Thx,
Bob
Old 01-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Pull the spark plugs and look for one or more that are oily. If/when you find them do a compression test and let's go from there.