Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-13-2002, 05:57 AM
speedingpenguin

how much does it cost to have a manny tranny installed?

yeah when i get my SVX i'm gonna buy a 5 speed from a used subaru parts store. I dont feel i have the knowlege and i'm definatly not confident enough to try and do it myself, so i plan on taking it to an auto shop. How much (about) does it cost for a place to do a tranny swap? thx

BTW also, how much do the 5 speeds go about? whatever is the best one for the swap....
Old 12-13-2002, 08:44 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
about the only way you will geta mechanic to put in a 5speed and have awarrenty on it like i do is to buy the kit from smallcar perforance. ($3g's) and then 15-22hrs of labor ($1000-$1500) depending on how long it takes them. They will not just merely give you "Book" becuase there is no such thing, so they will charge you as long as it take them, unless you find a very generous mechanic So all in all your looking at $4000-$4500 depending on the parts you chose.
phil
p.s. the impreza 94-99 RS tranny is the most common swap.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
or...

you could do it for parts and your time only and it would save you thousands...thats what i plan to do, ill just take my time and see if i can do it or not...If i cant then i 'll have to have someone do it for me but atleast im giving it a shot...hopefully i can figure it out...There was a good write up on it here in the past threads that i found one night, I'll see if i can find it for you...
Old 12-13-2002, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Lots to consider here...

Transmission, front differential ratio, rear differential ratio,
clutch release type (cable, push hydraulic, or pull hydraulic), pedal assembly to match the clutch release type, clutch type and brand, flywheel type, drive shaft modifications.....

Transmission costs range from $200 (older Legacy cable type) to $5000 - $10,000 for a 6 speed (used vs. new). Depending upon the transmission you choose, you'll need the pedals/linkages/cable or hydraulics. I've just bought a set of pedals from a new WRX with linkages for $150. Clutches can be OEM, performance aftermarket, basic aftermarket. Cost here is $100 to $500. Flywheels are the same thing depending upon type, weight, material, OEM vs aftermarket.

Also depending upon transmission you choose you may or may not need a rear differential depending upon the front differential ratio. Available rear differential ratios are 3.54:1 VLSD (SVX and new USDM WRX), 3.90:1 VLSD and open(Legacy Turbo, certain Outback models), 4.11:1 open(Legacy, Forrester, Impreza) and 4.44:1 open(Impreza, Forrester). I've spent a lot of time at my dealership making copies and tracking down info. Again costs vary from dirt cheap to $750 for a complete new rear diff. I just bought a Legacy turbo 3.90 LS rear diff for $200. If you were to find a new WRX transmission, you can use your existing rear diff as the USDM spec WRX transmissions use a gear ratio multiplier on the output to the rear end to match the 3.90 front ratio to the 3.54 used in both the WRX and the SVX. This makes for an easier swap, but WRX transmissions are the most pricey of the 5 speeds ($850 -$1200).

Then you have mounts, driveshaft modifications, wiring, shifter and modifications to it.... a lot to think about.

That said, I'm doing mine this winter. Most likely with a Legacy Turbo trans, but possibly with a WRX trans (I'll know later today). I also have a complete older Legacy trans/rear diff/pedal set using the 4.11:1 ratios. Choices, choices, choices....

Todd
Old 12-13-2002, 12:39 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

unless you are a mechanic, and have pulled engines/trannys then you are NOT gonna be able to "just figure it out" There is so muvh knowledge required, none of which is general. Its no where near safe. Like they say, do it right, or do it twice.....
Old 12-13-2002, 01:01 PM
speedingpenguin

well how much would it cost for me to have someone install it for me?
Old 12-13-2002, 01:53 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
about the only way you will geta mechanic to put in a 5speed and have awarrenty on it like i do is to buy the kit from smallcar perforance. ($3g's) and then 15-22hrs of labor ($1000-$1500) depending on how long it takes them. They will not just merely give you "Book" becuase there is no such thing, so they will charge you as long as it take them, unless you find a very generous mechanic So all in all your looking at $4000-$4500 depending on the parts you chose.
phil
p.s. the impreza 94-99 RS tranny is the most common swap.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
unless you are a mechanic, and have pulled engines/trannys then you are NOT gonna be able to "just figure it out" There is so muvh knowledge required, none of which is general. Its no where near safe. Like they say, do it right, or do it twice.....
Gotta disagree with you here. Alex (alex_umn) here has replaced his 4EAT witha manual transmission with minimal prior automotive experience. I believe he was #2 or#3 with a manual trans.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
finally

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Gotta disagree with you here. Alex (alex_umn) here has replaced his 4EAT witha manual transmission with minimal prior automotive experience. I believe he was #2 or#3 with a manual trans.
someone who isnt totally rejecting the idea of the manual being installed by someone other than a mechanic...so from what ive been reading if you can find a wrx tranny than you dont even need the rear axle correct???so wouldnt this tranny in a sense be easier to install then the legacy tranny???just curious..Ive got time to look for the tranny..
Old 12-13-2002, 07:04 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

understandable....im just putting my two cents in about what ithink is safe to be driving on the street....i am doing some of the swap myself, and am watching my mechanic do the rest so that i am not just up in the air about this. I can't aford(nor can most) to make a big mistake. I just dont want someone to buy a tranny off ebay and then ask, "what do i do now." I figured id poke around on the forums for a couple years and wait for these few pioneers to do the swaps first, and the R&d of the kit addresses EVERY problem that comes up. NO question on to if you have/need parts and what ones work. Alex_umn:I wish i could have done what you did, quite impressive. If i'd had a daily driver with the first SVX i owned i may have done the samething
phil

Last edited by Phast SVX; 12-13-2002 at 07:08 PM.