Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 PM
My92SVX
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
christmas tree lights. Not the pretty ones!!

After doing some research... Nothing more I can think of other than asking right out.. Sorry guys..

Hey guys.. I'm at my witts end here.. About ready to call it quits and just sell the car.. I just recently started having issues with the alternator. I had it checked and indeed it was bad. I had a spare good alternator. I slapped it on. After a day of driving around, it started with the christmas lights again. Then I figured may be the battery.. I replaced the battery and I had the first alternator fixed at an alternator shop here.. I slapped on the refabed alternator and with the new battery, still getting christmas lights after 2 days.. Alternator is good. I had it checked yet again.

Could the problem be the fusable link? The alternator is definitaly charging the battery. Car starts right up with no hesitation or problem. Could it be the negative cable somewhere? . All the cables look good, no rust or broken cables that I can see in plain site.

thanks
Carlos from Dallas TX for now..
1993 Subaru SVX LSL Barcelona Anniversary #99/purchased with 82K miles *** 89K miles as of 07/2012
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl/Black #7200/purchased with 72K miles *** 101K as of 7/2012
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Ebony Pearl/purchased with 88K miles *** SOLD***

Last edited by My92SVX; 12-20-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Needed some additional info added.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: christmas tree lights. Not the pretty ones!!

I could be wrong but the christmas lights are caused by too much or too little voltage. Did you check to make sure your pulley is not separating? I would suggest using a paint marker and drawing a line down the crank pulley to make sure it is not separating. Did the other alternator cause this as well?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM
My92SVX

Registered SVX

Haven't looked at the pulley. But, if it were that. Would it not effect the power steering also? Power steering works fine. Yes, other alternator did the same thing.
1993 Subaru SVX LSL Barcelona Anniversary #99/purchased with 82K miles *** 89K miles as of 07/2012
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl/Black #7200/purchased with 72K miles *** 101K as of 7/2012
Old 12-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I had this problem a long time ago. The alternators would check out fine off the vehicle but would die after it was installed. Go to an alternator shop and have them check the alternator on the vehicle. Could be the voltage regulator or the wire plug.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
I had this problem a long time ago. The alternators would check out fine off the vehicle but would die after it was installed. Go to an alternator shop and have them check the alternator on the vehicle. Could be the voltage regulator or the wire plug.
Not sure about the PS but that was my next suggestion was the voltage regulator.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Carlos,

This is most likely an alternator problem. I have asked Trevor for information he has about this in the past, as well as Christian at Maniac Electric Motors, in DALLAS.

Trevor said the following and I have confirmed that this has happened in the past on other cars:

The flashing of several dashboard trouble indication lights instantaneously can indicate a rather obscure alternator fault.

The indicator light test circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. A fault within the alternator rectifier network, often involving only a single diode, can result in alternating current being induced on line. As a result, pulses of reverse voltage pass the blocking diodes in the circuit which energizes the indicator lights.

Those testing alternators, including professional technicians, can often fail to detect this problem, due to there being only a very small discrepancy in the D.C. output.

Testing battery voltage with a multimeter switched to the alternating current range, will often disclose the presence of the unwanted alternating current, whereas a normal direct current output voltage check will not. An oscilloscope will certainly disclose the problem.

Steady Dash light indication

Steady simultaneous illumination of dash lights (battery charging, steering, and stop lamp) indicates one of several alternator faults, which can be detected by the alternator’s electronic diagnostic module.

It would appear that for safety sake in the event of an alternator fault, those indicator lights which are not illuminated for test purposes at start up, are operated simultaneously.

Personally, I would head over to Maniac Electric Motors in Dallas to have them take a look at your alternator. They have the best test equipment and experience in diagnosing/repairing alternators. They do all of their own rebuilding, and use the best German electronics. No one better at what they do and a new rebuilt alternator should be no more than $88.00 exchange. They also have the electrical plugs if you need them. Christian is the best and they will figure it out.

Maniac Electric Motors
9819 Elam Road
Dallas, Texas 75217

Call 972-557-5768
christian@maniacelectricmotors.com
8:00 - 6:00 Mon-Fri
8:00 - 3:00 Sat

From downtown Dallas, about 10 miles from you, off of 175 or the LBJ freeway

Apart from the lights, any driveability/ starting issues, or other electrical oddities

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 PM
My92SVX

Registered SVX

Hey John,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Maniac Electrics is out of Dallas or so near. I will definitely take the car over there if the trouble persist. I just put in another new alternator that I had already purchased a few weeks back. The weird thing is that with this last alternator. Lights came on for about 15 sec and then off, driving in to work, during the day with no driving lights,radio or a/c/heat on. On the way home at midnight, driving lights on, No christmas lights. Battery charging with no problem. What ever the trouble is,its definitely intermittent..

Frustrated..