How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Persistent wheel bearing failure

So, I know this car is notorious for bearing failures and mine are failing too. I've been wondering: is there something I can do to make this next set last longer? Was the cause of the failures ever identified?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Persistent wheel bearing failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
So, I know this car is notorious for bearing failures and mine are failing too. I've been wondering:
1) is there something I can do to make this next set last longer?
2)Was the cause of the failures ever identified?
1) You can use ONLY Factory Subaru seals!
(I only use Factory Subaru bearings)
If you use Subaru bearings be sure to wash them/clean them thoroughly to get the "packing" grease out of them before you pack them with a high temperature grease.
I personally like Advance Auto Parts #2 Extreme Pressure Lithium Grease (red).

2) I believe that the cause was installing new bearings without cleaning and repacking them.
There is another theory that the "packing" grease was incompatable with the "American" grease used and caused the combination of greases to fail.

Another thing that you can check is if the front axle has been replaced with an aftermarket axle, does it fit the factory seal?

Sometimes aftermarket axles are incorrectly made allowing water/debris to enter the bearing area causing early failure.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
... Another thing that you can check is if the front axle has been replaced with an aftermarket axle, does it fit the factory seal?

Sometimes aftermarket axles are incorrectly made allowing water/debris to enter the bearing area causing early failure.
Luckily (?) my current failure is with the rear axles but when/if my fronts fail I'll keep that in mind.

Regarding the greases: I ran that past my dad, who was a master tech for Subaru when these cars were just going out of production. He said that Subaru told them about the greases and they still had them come back after a couple months. His theory is that the hubs weren't cut deep enough and the extra pressure caused them to fail. The techs were finally told to take the car for a drive after replacing the bearing and, if the hub was warm, to replace the hub until it came back cool.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:52 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Don't over tighten the Axle nut, torque to specs.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:35 AM

I, erm, don't mean to be argumentative, but I have trouble believing it's something as simple as correct torque on the axle nut. I agree that it will help but I don't think that's the root of the problem...
Old 08-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Over torquing has been said to permanently deform the hub which will lead to continued bearing failures even if they are correctly torqued.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Over torquing has been said to permanently deform the hub which will lead to continued bearing failures even if they are correctly torqued.
Okay, that makes a little more sense to me. So a new hub should take care of the problem?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
I, erm, don't mean to be argumentative, but I have trouble believing it's something as simple as correct torque on the axle nut. I agree that it will help but I don't think that's the root of the problem...
I was just adding to the many possibilities

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
1) You can use ONLY Factory Subaru seals!
(I only use Factory Subaru bearings)
If you use Subaru bearings be sure to wash them/clean them thoroughly to get the "packing" grease out of them before you pack them with a high temperature grease.
I personally like Advance Auto Parts #2 Extreme Pressure Lithium Grease (red).

2) I believe that the cause was installing new bearings without cleaning and repacking them.
There is another theory that the "packing" grease was incompatable with the "American" grease used and caused the combination of greases to fail
According to Subaru, all of the new replacement bearings now come packed with the proper grease, ready to install. They said they no longer use the inferior shipping grease, FWIW.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I will second the hub suggestion. Nate told me that after I had a replacement bearing fail after a year. I had my mechanic replace the bearing AND hub when I got back from Reading in 2012 and the new bearing is still OK. Turns out, he was an ex-subaru mechanic as well and said that a return bearing issue was dealt with in this exact manner. If repeat failure, replace hub.

The whole grease thing confused the hell out of me. I was told the same thing about bearing no longer being packed in crappy grease by both Subaru people and Timken people. I went ahead and cleaned and re-greased the new bearing with M1 grease. It was a nasty and messy job which I probably made harder than it needed to be. I don't think I will do that again.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM

Looks like I'll be ponying up the cash for some new hubs then. But holy cow... $140 each!?! Is there an aftermarket option for these?
I know owning an SVX is an expensive proposition but $480 + shipping for the whole job is... ouch.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I will second the hub suggestion. Nate told me that after I had a replacement bearing fail after a year. I had my mechanic replace the bearing AND hub when I got back from Reading in 2012 and the new bearing is still OK. Turns out, he was an ex-subaru mechanic as well and said that a return bearing issue was dealt with in this exact manner. If repeat failure, replace hub.

The whole grease thing confused the hell out of me. I was told the same thing about bearing no longer being packed in crappy grease by both Subaru people and Timken people. I went ahead and cleaned and re-greased the new bearing with M1 grease. It was a nasty and messy job which I probably made harder than it needed to be. I don't think I will do that again.
Are you talking about the hub, the part that rotates and the disc bolts to,
or the housing that the bearing gets pressed into.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Are you talking about the hub, the part that rotates and the disc bolts to,
or the housing that the bearing gets pressed into.
I think I am talking about the part the bearing gets pressed into. I don't remember. I think Nate gave me the part number at the time.

EDIT:

Found my old order. Here are the parts, aside from the Timken bearing which I bought from Rock Auto:

1 28015AA080 OIL SEAL $8.47
1 28015AA070 OIL SEAL $7.00
1 28035AA010 SNAP RING F $2.34
1 28052PA010 HUB CP R $140.42

So which part was I talking about?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 08-06-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I think I am talking about the part the bearing gets pressed into. I don't remember. I think Nate gave me the part number at the time.

EDIT:

Found my old order. Here are the parts, aside from the Timken bearing which I bought from Rock Auto:

1 28015AA080 OIL SEAL $8.47
1 28015AA070 OIL SEAL $7.00
1 28035AA010 SNAP RING F $2.34
1 28052PA010 HUB CP R $140.42

So which part was I talking about?
I made this exact part list today. That is the part listing for the hub, not the bearing holder.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
I made this exact part list today. That is the part listing for the hub, not the bearing holder.
I just looked at the picture and realized I was confused. Big surprise. I thought the bearing was pressed onto the hub. Now I see it is pressed into the housing. How loose is the fit between the bearing inside race and the hub?

Regardless, it was the hub I replaced with the bearing, not the housing.