SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Just installed my STi coilovers

Just wondering if you have gotten an alignment on it yet and whether or not there were any issues.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

I have an appointment Friday. I went in on Monday but they refused to align anything with a worn ball joint, so I'm putting that in tomorrow and then running back Friday. I'll let you know.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
The rear camber is NOT. The front is. You'll have to either buy camber bolts or a camber plate from another suspension (BC sells them for $150) in order to raise it much higher than I am now, otherwise you'll have positive camber.
Hmm, maybe it's the rear alignment adjustment that I'm thinking of.
Still definitely on my list of things to do!

SOLD - 1992 LSL 180K #8588 with svxfiles' all aluminum radiator; Wolf's head synthetic ATF in tranny and power steering; lighted power mode switch; Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil with Bosch 72158 filter; ACDelco A975C air filter; Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, Optima BlueTop battery
2002 F550 74K
SOLD - 2000 F450 215K
1987 BMW 535i 209K
1999 Yamaha SRX 700
Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Just a little update: my alignment was a success and they got everything back into spec as it should be. Took her for a little spin and cruised on the highway at 100mph. Needless to say I've never felt the car ride so smooth in my life. No vibrations, no noise; just a bullet. It felt very grounded. I'm a happy camper! Tomorrow will be a week of driving on the coilovers, and if anyone is leery of the stiffer spring rate, don't be! I hardly notice a difference unless I'm on extremely bumpy roads. I still don't have the sway bar installed, but it's #1 on my to-do list and I think I have a few ideas on how to attach it to the strut itself, not the control arm. I'll keep you guys posted

2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Last edited by B 4 You; 07-26-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Has anyone else use these coilovers?

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post

I think Green1995SVX has installed his on the pearlie. He was in on the original order and had his machine shop make the required modifications.

But he hasn't posted anything for over 2 1/2 months. Maybe Nate knows something.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-28-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Subaru Parts Guy

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
I know a lot of people are using them on the Impreza forums, but this is the first I've seen on an SVX.

Reviews are pretty straightforward. Cheap coilovers are cheap. No surprise there. However, for cars that see limited mileage (not daily drivers), I think they would do just fine. Rates seem about right. I'd like to see a fix for mounting the front sway bar.

For what it's worth, since I drive my SVX about 1000 miles a year, I'd consider picking up a set of these cheap coilovers and trying them out. Couldn't hurt.

1994 Legacy GT
2001 Forester
2002 Impreza WRX
2005 Impreza WRX STI

Need parts?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Cheap coils are cheap coils and that's all there is to it. The ride wold be significantly better, quieter, and more durable on a more expensive set of coils. Money is tight, and the old suspension was broken, so this is perfect. If I get 3 or 4 years out of them, I'll be ecstatic. I've yet to hear any stories about catastrophic failure with these, and 99% of the bad reviews came from people who have never owned a set... almost everyone just said for the money, they're great.

Edit: plus I would much rather start drilling and bending a set of $400 coils vs a set of $1500 coils any day.
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post

Edit: plus I would much rather start drilling and bending a set of $400 coils vs a set of $1500 coils any day.
I RESENT THIS.

But fuhreel...quality coilovers ride SOOOOOOOOOOOO nice
Old 09-18-2013, 11:24 PM

So I'm running fortune 500 05-07 STi coilovers with swift 9K front 7K rear coils. I just got the fronts in and wanted to let you see how i setup the front swaybar mounts. I am using whiteline front endlinks for the GD sedan chassis and I welded a tab that I made onto the control arm to mount them to.

This is the right side, 1/4 inch steel plate. Clears all parts and keeps the swaybar at the same height.

I havn't put the rears in yet, planning to do that in a week or two. For those I am swapping out the rear knuckles for the 05-07 rear knuckles to A) go with the brembo rear brakes to match the front 6 piston brembos and B) make mounting the rear coilovers a direct fit to the knuckles without having to enlarge anything on the coilovers.

I'm running stock height with mine though, the SVX is low enough as it is and the roads around me are awful. I had to max out the height adjustment on the front coilovers just to get it to almost stock height without messing with the coil preload adjustment to get more height. This will also help me clear the 265/35/18s I have to run on it.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 AM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
So I'm running fortune 500 05-07 STi coilovers with swift 9K front 7K rear coils. I just got the fronts in and wanted to let you see how i setup the front swaybar mounts. I am using whiteline front endlinks for the GD sedan chassis and I welded a tab that I made onto the control arm to mount them to.

This is the right side, 1/4 inch steel plate. Clears all parts and keeps the swaybar at the same height.

I havn't put the rears in yet, planning to do that in a week or two. For those I am swapping out the rear knuckles for the 05-07 rear knuckles to A) go with the brembo rear brakes to match the front 6 piston brembos and B) make mounting the rear coilovers a direct fit to the knuckles without having to enlarge anything on the coilovers.

I'm running stock height with mine though, the SVX is low enough as it is and the roads around me are awful. I had to max out the height adjustment on the front coilovers just to get it to almost stock height without messing with the coil preload adjustment to get more height. This will also help me clear the 265/35/18s I have to run on it.
Sounds like a beast of a setup. Definitely keep all of us posted on the hub swap, I've wanted to do one myself but don't have the means right now. Would you be able to use STi bearings as well?
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM

In the rear yes. I am swapping the whole knuckle from the STi over so it will use the STi bearings. I however have a feeling that the rear STi bearings are the same as our SVX bearings. I know the 190mm parking brake parts are all the same and the hub is the same and takes the same axle shaft, so I wouldn't be surprised if Subaru reused the SVX parts when they went to the 5x114 setup on the STi. The only thing different between the knuckles is the thickness of the strut mount, and the provision for the sway bar mount.

I am running white line lateral links from a WRX with the end link mounts on them, so I will end up with a completely different rear sway bar setup. Seeing as the rear bar is straight it will be easy enough to use a straight 3 piece sway bar for racing with the same end links I am using in the front mounted into the lateral link mounts.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 AM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

That's awesome. Would love to see pictures with detailed explanations of the install. How much fabrication have you had to do?
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 10-07-2013, 06:05 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX
Update: STi coilovers

Just a little update for everyone who is contemplating the swap. I've had these for a little over two months now, and I am very satisfied. It hasn't been your typical two months though. I just drove from Pittsburgh, PA to Irvine, CA with probably 500lbs or more of junk in the trunk, including (but not limited to): a heavy beach cruiser bike, disassembled, a full size spare wheel with tire, two passengers, a subwoofer, a china set, a really heavy bin of junk, a floor jack, two heavy tool boxes, and about eight 30-gallon garbage bags of clothing, along with a bunch of other junk I could cram in there. It was probably around 700lbs honestly. But the coils took us the 2600 mile trek all the way here! Not a single problem. 90% of the trip was with cruise control set around 80mph. I will say, the whole trip was very comfy. Obviously our backs hurt after sitting for 4 days in a car, but there was nothing abnormal that I didn't experience with the stock suspension. In fact, I prefer it. The missing sway bar isn't noticeable at all, and I'm just going to leave it out completely until the SVX community comes up with a beefy aftermarket option for one, otherwise it's just added weight. I installed them around 135,000 miles, and I just hit 140,000 a couple days ago. So far, so good! They're still just as smooth, if not better now.

I will say, though; that the added road noise is pretty annoying. Little scrapy sounds that normally couldn't be heard at all have become very apparent, and my wheel bearings sound a hell of a lot worse. I blame all of this on the cheap coils, since they're 100% metal. I plan on putting some noise insulating foam all over the rear deck area, and I think that will help a lot. The front noise isn't too bad. If I were to buy more expensive coils that had rubber for comfort, I can bet it would be nice and quiet.

Next on my list: bushings! The added stiffness definitely makes it more apparent that new control arm bushings and others should be replaced.

'Tis all!
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 06-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Hi guys!

I could get some bilstein b14 coilovers 05-07 STI but they have the OEM STI tophats.

Can I use these on the svx or can I use the svx hats instead ?

Thank You!