SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Got some money, want some power+stick

I recommend you get the manual swap done first, as it really makes better use of the stock 230hp.....lower gearing will make the car feel much faster than the stock gears and the 4EAT
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Registered SVX

The order I would do things in:

1. Manual swap with either an earlier wrx trans, A LegacyGT trans, or an Sti 6 speed.
the earlier wrx and the lgt have a slightly longer gear set to make highway cruising a bit better. Don't forget a good quality clutch that matches the transmission, the eg puts out much more torque than the turbo engines and can eat clutches.

2. Brakes, our brakes seem to be susceptible to warping rotors more than other cars, A good set of slotted (Not cross drilled, just slotted) rotors and a quality pad such as hawk hp, the different color stuff pads, or a ceramic pad will help get the car under control.

3. Suspension. AMR or Ceika coilovers look like the best options right now, I wouldn't mind trying the Koni/Ground control combo since they seem to be working for every other import. Dont forget to add a Bontrager or SVX motorsports rear sway bar and some upgraded bushings like Whiteline or Kartboy's.

4. Power. If you want to do this right I'd recommend picking up a second engine to build on the side so you don't have to tear the whole car apart while trying to reach your power goals.

I'll elaborate more on what I think would be the best way to build it if you want.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
The turboing was app $10k in 2000 as a turn key project including full EURO emission testing, stainless exhaust system and all. This was done by the previous owner.

Not cheap, but mechanically very well executed and still works like a dream.

Br,

T
Thank you for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
I recommend you get the manual swap done first, as it really makes better use of the stock 230hp.....lower gearing will make the car feel much faster than the stock gears and the 4EAT
Well the transmission really depends on what the engine will make! If I wanna keep 230, then I wouldn't need to bother with an STI one! I'll just put a WRX one in! Much cheaper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
The order I would do things in:

1. Manual swap with either an earlier wrx trans, A LegacyGT trans, or an Sti 6 speed.
the earlier wrx and the lgt have a slightly longer gear set to make highway cruising a bit better. Don't forget a good quality clutch that matches the transmission, the eg puts out much more torque than the turbo engines and can eat clutches.

2. Brakes, our brakes seem to be susceptible to warping rotors more than other cars, A good set of slotted (Not cross drilled, just slotted) rotors and a quality pad such as hawk hp, the different color stuff pads, or a ceramic pad will help get the car under control.

3. Suspension. AMR or Ceika coilovers look like the best options right now, I wouldn't mind trying the Koni/Ground control combo since they seem to be working for every other import. Dont forget to add a Bontrager or SVX motorsports rear sway bar and some upgraded bushings like Whiteline or Kartboy's.

4. Power. If you want to do this right I'd recommend picking up a second engine to build on the side so you don't have to tear the whole car apart while trying to reach your power goals.

I'll elaborate more on what I think would be the best way to build it if you want.
I didn't say I just want to make more power! I have plans for the already warped rotors, and the completely shot suspension! I just didn't need to ask you guys about those! But honestly, I just can't justify to myself spending money on a car with so little power! It'd be an easier decision if I did autocross or something but I don't...it's already grippy enough and I love how the brakes feel!
Nobody comments on the LS conversion? It's starting to make a lot of sense to me! The LS is probably lighter, and if I can mount the trans on the rear axle, I'll probably get 55/45(or even 50,50), with RWD! So it has more power, and handles better, and it'll be much cheaper!
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
Nobody comments on the LS conversion? It's starting to make a lot of sense to me! The LS is probably lighter, and if I can mount the trans on the rear axle, I'll probably get 55/45(or even 50,50), with RWD! So it has more power, and handles better, and it'll be much cheaper!
This one has a small block Chevy.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/09/...ys-subaru-svx/
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 PM

removed by user

Last edited by Shamus McFeeley; 01-21-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:26 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Yeah, that's the one! Guess I'll be better off asking him how he did it! Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus McFeeley View Post
I'm curious as to what kind of R6 brings $10K. If people where you live have that kind of money to throw away, let me know so I can sell my FZ for twice what its worth!
Ever thought about me having some money put aside? Then selling the R6 and adding it to what I had?! It's really simple!
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Please stop saying EJ33. It makes me sad.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-25-2013, 12:00 AM

I say, gut the motor, trans rearend, drop in an LS1 with a 6 speed and a Vette rearend.then tune it to 600 HP problem solved.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:25 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Please stop saying EJ33. It makes me sad.
I'm sorry. I was hanging out with a friend a few days ago, and he, being the stubborn a--hole he is, assured me that it's the EJ...I noticed it the first time I wrote it like that but decided to not edit the post. Now I can't stop!!!
Note to self, it's the EG33!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simboglide View Post
I say, gut the motor, trans rearend, drop in an LS1 with a 6 speed and a Vette rearend.then tune it to 600 HP problem solved.
Oh I would so do that...just gotta make sure I can fit some tire back there! Doubt there being room for anything bigger than a 285!
Lets see how it goes...hopefully I'll be the proud owner of the most powerful SVX on here...deserving of an "infidel" sticker (you know, doing an LS conversion and all!)
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

First, I would like to say, great posts by Icingdeath and Crazy Pilot. You guys are great.

I would like to take a completely random and crazy turn. How about waiting for someone to total their 2014 Forester XT and swapping in the 2.0L turbo and CVT into the SVX? We could get great gas mileage, a bit more HP, less front end weight and some sort of different from the CVT.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 05-25-2013, 10:47 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
First, I would like to say, great posts by Icingdeath and Crazy Pilot. You guys are great.

I would like to take a completely random and crazy turn. How about waiting for someone to total their 2014 Forester XT and swapping in the 2.0L turbo and CVT into the SVX? We could get great gas mileage, a bit more HP, less front end weight and some sort of different from the CVT.
I like this idea but I would still prefer a 2.5l over the 2.0l just to make sure the torque is available to move our beasts.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
I'm sorry. I was hanging out with a friend a few days ago, and he, being the stubborn a--hole he is, assured me that it's the EJ...I noticed it the first time I wrote it like that but decided to not edit the post. Now I can't stop!!!
Note to self, it's the EG33!

Oh I would so do that...just gotta make sure I can fit some tire back there! Doubt there being room for anything bigger than a 285!
Lets see how it goes...hopefully I'll be the proud owner of the most powerful SVX on here...deserving of an "infidel" sticker (you know, doing an LS conversion and all!)
Tub the rear fender wells.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post

And buy a handgun while I'm at it, to kill myself because of the sound the CVT makes! Yeah I know that it can mimic a 6sp manual but no...
I can see the benefits but it's just not my thing! But very creative option.
I've certainly missed you, Mr. Huskymaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by simboglide View Post
Tub the rear fender wells.
If I wanna tub it, I'd have to do do something to the fronts as well. Can't have 345's on the rear and 245's on the front. Then I'd have to mess with power steering and for some reason that seems more work than an LS conversion! We'll have to see! But lets not get ahead of ourselves. I have to see if I have a friend who can stuff a V8 in the place of an EG33 (icingdeath approves? )
Right now I'm looking at C5 vette engines. Can get the engine for under $1500, and trans for $850! Need a ton of tools, so if all goes right, I should have right around 350hp for 5k I would say! I'll start working on the more important stuff (as some people would say) after the conversion is done!
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I have to say I'd be surprised if this project gets anywhere.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Registered SVX

Isn't it time someone built an electric SVX?

Separate motors running front / rear ends? Modern AC technology...

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

/Tapanu