How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Registered SVX
anybody change their steering wheel?

As much as i like the interior of the svx the big grey marshmallow in front of me just doesnt seem to match the rest of it. Has anybody changed their steering wheel to anything else?
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: anybody change their steering wheel?

Lot of people put in the Momo wheel from the WRX. It is a huge upgrade in the looks department, however you lose the airbag.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Registered SVX

I fitted an STI version 8 wheel to mine, I lost the airbag but kept the cruise control .....
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM

How do you lose the airbag & still able to get compliance at testing stations ?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
How do you lose the airbag & still able to get compliance at testing stations ?
I don't believe the airbag system is checked in any state in the US. Very few states have actual inspections as it is and I don't believe any test/chek the airbag system. As long as the airbags are in place (even if different steering wheel) that is all that matters.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Icing did a momo swap and kept the airbag and the cruise.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveherman View Post
Icing did a momo swap and kept the airbag and the cruise.
Are you quite sure about that, my understanding was that they used different voltages.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

I used the SVX airbag charge from the stock steering wheel. (NOT responsible if something blows up in anyone's face). The wheel is a 90s Legacy GT wheel (pics in album linked in sig somewhere), and I think I had to trim the inside just a little bit to make the airbag charge fit, since it's a little bit bigger than the one that was in there. Also made sure the body of the airbag charge wasn't grounded to anything, since neither were when I got them. Making the horn work was pretty easy, and obvious once both wheels are opened up in front of you. As for the cruise, the place to mount the switch was already there, just had to cut a hole for the switch to poke out through in the back panel of the steering wheel. I did have to cut a wider hole on the back of the steering wheel where it mounts to the column to fit the wires through it, and because there was a round part that rubbed against the SVX column trim.

I picked a 90s legacy wheel since I figured the airbags themselves would be as similar as you could hope for. The airbag charge and the bag itself are from different cars, so there's no way to know for sure whether they will work perfectly together without blowing one up to try it out. I hope never to find out. The newer WRX wheels are smaller in the middle section, so I don't know if I would make the same assumption with those that they'd be close enough to work.

There are some MOMO outback wheels that are black with woodgrain on the top and bottom of the wheel itself, that look like it would match the inside of a later, lighter woodgrain SVX pretty well.

AGAIN, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BLOW ANYTHING UP.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Are you quite sure about that, my understanding was that they used different voltages.
Yes. I am quite sure.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post

There are some MOMO outback wheels that are black with woodgrain on the top and bottom of the wheel itself, that look like it would match the inside of a later, lighter woodgrain SVX pretty well.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post

Both our 2002 3.0 H6 VDC Outback sedan and wagon had the wood and perforated leather wheel. Some of the L.L. Bean models got the same wheel, but with MOMO in the center.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 02-10-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Both our 2002 3.0 H6 VDC Outback sedan and wagon had the wood and perforated leather wheel. Some of the L.L. Bean models got the same wheel, but with MOMO in the center.

that is sexy, though with it so glossy i would have to pull out all my "wood" trim pieces and clear coat them to match.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
that is sexy, though with it so glossy i would have to pull out all my "wood" trim pieces and clear coat them to match.
Far much easier to get some #0000 steel wool and take down the gloss on the wheel to more of a satin finish to match the dash.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

Ah, that explains why I couldn't find any examples on ebay. Thought they all had the "MOMO". I quite like my all black one. Maybe one day I'll get a woodgrain one for my 97. I worry how well the black will match the rest of the tan interior though. What do you think, having seen both in person?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 PM

So besides the woodgrain and the center name, the rest of the wheel's size and shape is exactly same ? Because I would like an all black wheel with subaru in the middle not momo