How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-08-2013, 02:59 PM

Registered SVX
Lightbulb Ultimate SVX

I'm curious why the Japanese never made a model that has all the best bits from every market/country, even if they kept it for themselves. For eg, why did they fit plastic headlamps and no heated seats to the Alcyone?

I'm happy with my UK spec car, but if it came from the factory with 4 wheel steer, electric folding mirrors, high level boot brake light, front fog lights, 3rd rear lap belt seat belt, cat warning lights, seat belt chime, rear side illuminated side marker lights, auto headlights, it would be the perfect SVX

Anybody think of anything else i've missed?

Mal
Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 PM

Re: Ultimate SVX

I want the rear ionizer!
And a jdm wing!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymal View Post
I'm curious why the Japanese never made a model that has all the best bits from every market/country, even if they kept it for themselves. For eg, why did they fit plastic headlamps and no heated seats to the Alcyone?

I'm happy with my UK spec car, but if it came from the factory with 4 wheel steer, electric folding mirrors, high level boot brake light, front fog lights, 3rd rear lap belt seat belt, cat warning lights, seat belt chime, rear side illuminated side marker lights, auto headlights, it would be the perfect SVX

Mal
Does the cat warning light work for other animals on the road such as badgers and deer?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymal View Post

Mal
The 1992 Alcyone SVX Version L in Japan is the flagship. It was optioned with nearly all (if not all) of the high tech goodies you mentioned and more... a few reasons for some options (differences) in other countries....

Heated seats are not much of a need in Japan.

For Europe and GB:

The glass headlamps, rear fogs, 3rd brake, etc. light are a different story and made just to meet European regulations...

The plastic headlamps were the highest standard for the SVX at the time. Glass headlamps were a requirement for Euro regulations and not a feature. All headlamps had to be made of glass (this is no longer the case).

This applies to the front fog lamp delete as well because it was also a requirement that fog lamps had to be mounted under the bumpers at the time.

The wiring for the 3rd brake light was used to power the rear fogs because the rear fogs were a requirement and a 3rd brake light was not.

Also the headlamp aiming and washer systems were a requirement to meet regulations on newer style (for the time) projection headlamps.

The Euro models were a strange combination of compromises and additions both good and bad. Mostly good!

While the US models got alot of the neat stuff, we never got the most important thing... a VTD transmission.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 02-08-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
The 1992 Alcyone SVX Version L in Japan is the flagship. It was optioned with nearly all (if not all) of the high tech goodies you mentioned and more... a few reasons for some options (differences) in other countries....

For Europe and GB:

The glass headlamps, rear fogs, 3rd brake, etc. light are a different story and made just to meet European regulations...

The plastic headlamps were the highest standard for the SVX at the time. Glass headlamps were a requirement for Euro regulations and not a feature. All headlamps had to be made of glass (this is no longer the case).

This applies to the front fog lamp delete as well because it was also a requirement that fog lamps had to be mounted under the bumpers at the time.

The wiring for the 3rd brake light was used to power the rear fogs because the rear fogs were a requirement and a 3rd brake light was not.

Also the headlamp aiming and washer systems were a requirement to meet regulations on newer style (for the time) projection headlamps.

The Euro models were a strange combination of compromises and additions both good and bad. Mostly good!

While the US models got alot of the neat stuff, we never got the most important thing... a VTD transmission.
I beg to differ on the cold bit. I spent 1.5yrs there and traveled up north on Honshu. Went skiing actually, it was a lot like Aspen in winter.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post
I beg to differ on the cold bit. I spent 1.5yrs there and traveled up north on Honshu. Went skiing actually, it was a lot like Aspen in winter.
What I mean is that there is not much demand for optional heated seats in cars; just as there is not much demand for a sunroof in cars purchased there either. I wasn't trying to comment on the weather conditions of Japan.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
They do have snow and rain in Japan David.

On the other hand, my GCC specs SVX came with heated seats for no reason whatsoever. So as my 350Z I brought with me from Qatar

I sweated many times like a pig over there when I mistakenly pushed the buttons until I removed the fuse off

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

I wish I had heated seats in all my cars
Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 PM

The 1992 Alcyone SVX Version L in Japan is the flagship

That's what I drive and it pretty much has all the toys. Heated seats would have been nice here in Scotland though.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX

I also crave for the ultimate SVX.

Has anyone mentioned OBDII yet?

Also, I saw a video of the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show where a 5 EAT transmission was on display.

I frequently carry heavy things in the trunk, so I would LOVE adjustable headlamps and front and rear fogs. 4WS would be so sweet.
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM

Smile Re: Ultimate SVX

I fitted a rear ionizer to mine - only took about 2 hours, very cool!!! (especially for rear seat passengers).

I also wanted to fit central locking switch beside gear selector, but once the switch for ionizer went in, there was no room.....

Fitted the USA front indicators (with reflectors) changed the bulb to orange...

I also retro-fitted the rear side marker lamps (from USA) as here in NZ we only get the reflectors + fitted Europe type rear lamp bar - because it had stop lamps - where as in NZ again we only got reflectors.

+ a couple of other items, that I have forgotten about....
Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX

I don't know if this is true but didn't the original SVX concept car have a voice command based console with navigation and hydroneumatic suspension along with all the other good tidbits that made it into the SVX L?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob View Post
I don't know if this is true but didn't the original SVX concept car have a voice command based console with navigation and hydroneumatic suspension along with all the other good tidbits that made it into the SVX L?
Navigation existed back then?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Smile Re: Ultimate SVX

Navigation did exist back in 1989 - when the concept model was around, I saw it working at the car show here in Auckland, NZ.

Remember that the GPS constallation has been around (no pun intended here) for over 40 years - it is only in the past 25 years that certain areas of the world were opened up for civilian uses.

Connexant/Qualcom were the first users (and miltary chip designers at the time).

Talon Technology (later called Navman) here in Auckland, NZ were the first non-commercial users of these chips for outsourced miltary use in the late 80s (I know because I helped design many GPS gadgets for them way back then.......these chips were very expensive) - I worked for Navman for over 10 years as contractor + full time job.

Later on Connexant "leased" another set of cheaper chips - on the proviso from the military that they could be "detuned" during conflicts. These are the ones that all consumers are now using everyday.

Of course I am unsure now if the same "detuning" applies for later GPS satallites that were launched recently like the ones from Japan/Europe & Russia + any other undocumented ones that other countries might have sent up over the past 15 years......

I still do contract designing of GPS units for various companies - being a PCB designer for over 30 years ....... you can see me on Linkedin.

Stephen Surtees (CID+)
Auckland
New Zealand

Last edited by SURTEESS; 02-13-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:04 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Very interesting. I didn't realize the consumer GPS tech had been around for so long. It wasn't until the 2000s that I started seeing them, but I guess they must have been around for quite a while longer, just out of reach due to expense. Wikipedia says that much of the initial commercial development was done during the 80s. What do you mean by "detuned"?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album