Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
The Molinator

Head Gasket? .. Engine rebuild.. ??

Yesterday, it was 109 degrees here in beautiful Fresno, CA!

Coming home from work.. at about 105 degrees.. suddenly my AC started to spew hot air! I wondered about the AC compressor.. but left it off til home 20 minutes later. Checked the overflow coolant reservoir.. bubbles coming up into the overflow container! Noticed a lotta bugs in my radiator.. so cleaned as much as possible with simple green and high-pressure hose nozzle..

This morning.. overflow reservoir was full to high mark with green coolant water (?).. Opened radiator cap.. water looked almost clear, some junk in it.. maybe from head gasket compression leak?? .. My oil level was down about one quart (hadn't checked for 2-3 months?)..

AC and engine worked OK to go to work this morn.. at 86 degrees temp..

This smells of head gasket.. Huh? I had driver side done about 5 years ago .. Hmmm?

Well.. this is a real bad time for me.. since I'm trying to finish a fairly intense restoration/major tuneup on my 308GT4 Dino.. for annual car show in Monterey on August 17!

SOOOoooo!? Shud I get a short block? Rebuilt? HELP! ???

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Re: Head Gasket? .. Engine rebuild.. ??

A quick test to see if your getting combustion gasses in your coolant via a head gasket: Smell the coolant. If its bubbling into the overflow tank, give it a sniff as well as *when its cold* pop the cap on the radiator and do the same. If it smells like exhaust or gasoline, then regretfully you have a bad head gasket. This will lead to your radiator blowing all of its coolant into the overflow tank in a short time, like a few days. Pop the cap when your car is cold and see if the radiator is loosing a lot of coolant. Its a tell tail sign.

Head gaskets are not too bad. Just time consuming. You just need an engine lift and a good solid weekend of time.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

It most likely is a head gasket, but not necessarily. I replaced them in my 96 at 120,000.

A bad radiator cap will let excess coolant flow into the reservoir when the engine is not, but not allow it to be drawn back into the radiator when it cools down.

Also the possibility that you have sediment that has collected in the bottom of your reservoir tank. Coolant goes in under pressure and bubbles through the sediment. When the engine cools down, there is not enough vacuum to draw the coolant back through the sediment.

I would check or replace the radiator cap and pull the reservoir tank and clean it and blow some compressed air through it in case there is a clog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
This smells of head gasket.. Huh? I had driver side done about 5 years ago... Hmmm?
You took the engine apart and you only did one side?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-12-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:43 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I think it just overheated. My '92 did the same thing until I put the proper rad in it. The guy that sold it to me had rigged a used legacy rad which wasn't up to the task when it was hot out.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 PM

Registered SVX

You could just take it to a garage and get them to do a chemical test on the coolant and know 100% for sure, most places do it for free in the UK...they want the work if it's a head gasket job.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM
The Molinator

Yah! I've been wondering about that radiator cap.. I just got one!
I'll check the bottom of the reservoir too.. .

Thanks, Jim

P.S. What about the thermostat? How is that diagnosed.. ? Could that be the problem?

P.P.S. I'm trying not to smell exhaust in the coolant! It does have an odor beside the coolant smell.. Hmmm?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
The Molinator

Question Re: Head Gasket? .. Engine rebuild.. ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
You took the engine apart and you only did one side?
Actually, a Porsche mechanic I trusted.. did the work. Don't remember if both heads were done? I will try to check invoice..

Thanks, Jim

P.S. I'm gonna put Victoria Secret cologne in the reservoir.. to MAKE SURE .. I don't smell exhaust!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
The Molinator

I put a new cap.. cleaned mega bugs from the radiator.. It's worked OK for about a week now! .. ?? It does however smell like exhaust in the reservoir and radiator ..

The coolant level is holding OK.. When I open the radiator, the coolant is about 3/4-1 inch low.. ? Seems like it used to be right up to the top?

Can I just drive til oil is milky (fine now?), and/or coolant reservoir gets low.. or radiator gets low ???

If I do head gaskets .. Shouldn't I seriously consider rebuilding .. or swapping for a rebuilt engine?? I have 236K miles!

Thanks, Jim

P.S. DOn't you just really think .. it's healed itself.. and will be just DaNdY from now ON!?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Can I just drive til oil is milky (fine now?), and/or coolant reservoir gets low.. or radiator gets low ???
i tried that , and it ended up pressurizing the system enough to pop the heater core , which resulted in my feet being sprayed in hot coolant
got that bypassed and it blew the bottom tank off the rad about a week later

i suggest getting it fixed before you end up with more things to replace
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM
The Molinator

YIKES! You gave me a huge laugh (sorry for your misery Tho!) with that response.. I GET YOUR POINT!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
YIKES! You gave me a huge laugh (sorry for your misery Tho!) with that response.. I GET YOUR POINT!
hahha , thats what i was aiming for
thanks haha
i can laugh about it now but at the time i was just a little scared
doing 100 kph , roundabout is about 200 meters away and i had to put the brakes on while i had a burnt foot and steam is still pouring out of the foot well vent , and windsheild was fogging up to the point where i could not see anything
Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 AM

Registered SVX

i had a small leak on the head gasket on my ford ranger. It was just a work truck so i thought maybe i would try some of that bars head gasket fix. Believe it or not, it worked. It has about 35,000 miles on that fix now. I never thought that stuff would work but they say that the crack where the leak is gets hotter than any other spot and sucks the bars stuff to the hole where it seals it. Maybe give it a try, nothing to lose.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:58 AM
The Molinator

COOL!
Actually, it does have some BAD side effects.. but doesn't always cause a problem..
It also tends to clog up ALL water passages.. especially in the RaDiAtOr!

BUT.. I'm thinking about IT!

Thanks, Jim

P.S. You're talking bout that metal (Al?) flakey stuff in a small container.. that you put in the radiator.. RiGhT?

P.P.S. Is the crack you're talking about.. in the gasket? .. or the head??
Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
The Molinator

Seriously thinking about using the Bar's Head Gasket Fix .. I bought a couple weeks ago! Cant find a used low-mileage engine..
With the gaskets, seals, etc that have been suggested with (just a) head gasket replacement.. Subaruparts totals about $347.88!
Hmmm?
Thanks Y'all .. .
Jim
Old 08-03-2012, 05:53 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Seriously thinking about using the Bar's Head Gasket Fix .. I bought a couple weeks ago! Cant find a used low-mileage engine..
With the gaskets, seals, etc that have been suggested with (just a) head gasket replacement.. Subaruparts totals about $347.88!
Hmmm?
Thanks Y'all .. .
Jim
Is this with using the rebuild gasket kit that Subaru has?