Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-23-2012, 04:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 60-0 distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Agree... and lets face it the video only shows an SVX braking and stopping next to a cone with a "10" on it. I'm not sure what that proves!

Road and Track have it at 60-0 at 134 feet. And 229 feet from 80. they spent a lot of time with the SVX... long term tests etc. Very much in line with the cars of the day.
Yes, the Road and Track Guide to the SVX:

shows this data:

which seems reasonable to me. I think if we are discussing sources from when the SVX was new, then that should be the more trusted one in general, since they spent more time with the car than anyone else.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Yes, the Road and Track Guide to the SVX:

shows this data:

which seems reasonable to me. I think if we are discussing sources from when the SVX was new, then that should be the more trusted one in general, since they spent more time with the car than anyone else.
Excellent reference!
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Maybe motorweek was running uphill for the brake test...
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Maybe motorweek was running uphill for the brake test...
maybe the speedometer was faulty...
maybe the tires were hot so they gripped better
maybe the car had lots of aftermarket carbon fiber/fiber glass parts, so it was lighter
maybe their meterstick was imported from North Korea!!!

to be honest I have no good explanation on how there might be a +30ft difference between the two...does not make sense, especially on such a simple test...
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
maybe the speedometer was faulty...
maybe the tires were hot so they gripped better
maybe the car had lots of aftermarket carbon fiber/fiber glass parts, so it was lighter
maybe their meterstick was imported from North Korea!!!

to be honest I have no good explanation on how there might be a +30ft difference between the two...does not make sense, especially on such a simple test...
Could have been the awesome tires they had in 1992.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Registered SVX

Motortrend says the BRZ 60-0 is 109 ft for comparison. It's on the same width tires (215) that a new SVX would have been, and a lighter car. So the SVX should have a longer stopping distance.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_first_drive/
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Motortrend says the BRZ 60-0 is 109 ft for comparison. It's on the same width tires (215) that a new SVX would have been, and a lighter car. So the SVX should have a longer stopping distance.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_first_drive/
the weight of the car and the width of the tires don't necessarily result in worse braking...for example the Lambo and the GT3 rs right above it have the same tire width and the same basic brake hardware, but the lambo is what? 400lbs heavier?
The SVX dives under braking, unlike the BRZ...does that result in better or worse braking? no clue!
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
the weight of the car and the width of the tires don't necessarily result in worse braking...for example the Lambo and the GT3 rs right above it have the same tire width and the same basic brake hardware, but the lambo is what? 400lbs heavier?
The SVX dives under braking, unlike the BRZ...does that result in better or worse braking? no clue!
Diving? Worse.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Bah, the Lamborghini's got more tire on all four corners, including over an inch on each side in the rear.

Either way, you can't make a simple formula from mass and tire width that will give you a reasonable estimate of stopping distance.

The bottom line is this: The SVX has gobs of mass and nowhere near the amount of tire (in contact patch nor stickiness) it would take to slow it down to supercar proportions, even streetably modified.

Anyone who believes that an SVX at stock mass with stock tires can stop from 60 in 98 feet is astoundingly disillusioned. It just can't happen; physics won't allow it. All the videos and all the ridiculous homebrewed tests won't prove it otherwise. Some things can't be contested.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Either way, you can't make a simple formula from mass and tire width that will give you a reasonable estimate of stopping distance.
I do not entirely agree with this statement. I think you could approximate the stopping discance with a formula, granted making some assumptions for a lot of things. ABS, for example, has changed quite a bit over the years, I'm sure. However, in our BRZ vs SVX example, this is probably making only a very slight difference. The main thing here is the weight difference. The suspension might make a little difference too, and the size of the brakes themselve. But overall, the weight is the main thing.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Fair enough. Let's see it?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX

i would say thats a false claim at 98 feet , being early 90s probably didnt have the best testing equipment

i can tell you the evo x would rip your teeth out if you slamed the brake, 4 pison brembos with hawk pads on 2 piece rotors would put you in the windsheild, then add super stick 265's in the mix

the svx is just a boat when it comes to braking or handling but it wasnt built for that
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsvx View Post
early 90s probably didnt have the best testing equipment
Really? How advanced of equipment do you need to measure distance from a known spot? I'm not saying a thing about the distance claim, but how can you really say that they weren't advanced enough to measure a couple of feet?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
i would say thats a false claim at 98 feet , being early 90s probably didnt have the best testing equipment

i can tell you the evo x would rip your teeth out if you slamed the brake, 4 pison brembos with hawk pads on 2 piece rotors would put you in the windsheild, then add super stick 265's in the mix

the svx is just a boat when it comes to braking or handling but it wasnt built for that
Now that I think of it...

I bet the guys at Motorweek were 10 meters off (32 feet) in the measurement. A simple cone placement or a mistake by a round number like 10 and there you go...

They recorded the number, finished the edit for the show and didn't think twice... because the schedule for these types of shows are tight and they produce several on top of one another and they just missed it.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Bah, the Lamborghini's got more tire on all four corners, including over an inch on each side in the rear.
Rear doesn't affect braking (I ride motorcycles too)
Quote:
agreed, as I mentioned with the lambo, tire size and mass don't necessarily affect braking...that's, in my opinion, the only reason that the svx might have done a 98ft 60-0 once.(not saying that it has actually done it)
Quote:
98vs +130...doesn't need testing equipment to figure out...5ft can be due to measurement error but 30ft cannot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
I bet the guys at Motorweek were 10 meters off (32 feet) in the measurement. A simple cone placement or a mistake by a round number like 10 and there you go...
Could be a very good explanation if they had measured it in meters but if you see the vid, it's in feet
-Regasketed Engine @140k