Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 PM

lol noob question (a/c)

maybe its broken but what is the air conditioning setting? i am gettin hot air, maybe my car is just hot from sittin in the sun but i dont leave anything on to see if cool air starts coming out because its too hot to drive :P
Old 05-15-2012, 01:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: lol noob question (a/c)

The lower you set the control temp, the colder the air will come out (assuming you have pushed the Auto button to turn it on in the first place. Econ will not let the A/C come one). If you set it to 65 and it's 30 out then the heat will come on. If you set it to 65 and it's 90 out then the A/C will come on.

SOLD - 1992 LSL 180K #8588 with svxfiles' all aluminum radiator; Wolf's head synthetic ATF in tranny and power steering; lighted power mode switch; Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil with Bosch 72158 filter; ACDelco A975C air filter; Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, Optima BlueTop battery
2002 F550 74K
SOLD - 2000 F450 215K
1987 BMW 535i 209K
1999 Yamaha SRX 700
Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

last part isnt true. Whatever you set the temp to no matter what the temp is outside it will blow out at that temp. if you set it to 65 and shut it off it will blow cold air to you feet same with heat if you set it to say 85 and shut it off it blows hot air to you feet. Econ mode if i remember still runs the a/c but at a bare minimum hence Economy mode.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Econ mode doesn't run the compressor. Only Auto and defrost use the compressor.

Auto mode uses feedback from the ambient temperature in the car to change the air feed from hot to cold to make the in car temp match what you put the setting to. If you put it on 70 and it's 80 in the car it will blow cold air to get it down to 70 and then it will try to maintain that temp. If You put it on 70 and it's 60 in the car you will get heat to get it up to 70 and again try to maintain that temperature. Econ mode works similarly but you will not get AC compressor cooled air when trying to cool the temp down, only outside vented air.

Once you turn it off though you are correct, if you left it blowing warm air when it was shut off, you'll get warm air. If you left it blowing cold air when shut off, you will get free air venting without heat.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 05-15-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Econ= Economizer. If the outside air is below the set point, then it will use the outside air. If the temperature outside is above the setpoint, then it will switch to mechanical cooling (compressor). That is how economizers work on building A/C units. I think it would also apply to autos, if not, then what is the difference between the vent button and an econ button?

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
Econ= Economizer. If the outside air is below the set point, then it will use the outside air. If the temperature outside is above the setpoint, then it will switch to mechanical cooling (compressor). That is how economizers work on building A/C units. I think it would also apply to autos, if not, then what is the difference between the vent button and an econ button?
The "VENT" control brings in air as is from outside.

The "ECON" mode is the same as "AUTO" but the compressor stays off during all operation.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 AM

so the control for temperature is where my outside temperature shows up digitally? maybe i have it maxed out but nothing shows up on that little screen until i press outside temp and it shows the outside temp. im guessing that will change all my temps?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyfinguhz View Post
so the control for temperature is where my outside temperature shows up digitally? maybe i have it maxed out but nothing shows up on that little screen until i press outside temp and it shows the outside temp. im guessing that will change all my temps?
You only get a display in the temp setting when it is set to "AUTO," "DEF" or "ECON." Or when you press the "OUT TEMP" button to see what the temperature is outside.

Here is an Owner's Manual you can download. It will explain everything.

https://www.wuala.com/dbarnblatt/Photos/SVX/

I sacrificed one of the several manuals I obtained in a bunch of SVX stuff I purchased. Every page scanned on a flatbed scanner. I scanned a 1994 Manual, because it covers both passive and regular safety belts, etc. So it it will apply to every year, except for a few minor details in the '96 and '97 models.

Please, anyone can download it, It's great to have if you don't have one... and it's cool to have an electronic version in your iPad, phone, etc.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 AM

alright thank you a ton i will read through
Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
The "VENT" control brings in air as is from outside.

The "ECON" mode is the same as "AUTO" but the compressor stays off during all operation.

AUTO regulates the temperature by means of the compressor.
ECON regulates the temperature with the outside air ONLY if the outside air is cooler than what the set point is.
If it is not, then you will have to set it to AUTO.

Subaru SVX for fun
Ford Ranger for work

Last edited by dannmarr; 05-17-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
last part isnt true. Whatever you set the temp to no matter what the temp is outside it will blow out at that temp. if you set it to 65 and shut it off it will blow cold air to you feet same with heat if you set it to say 85 and shut it off it blows hot air to you feet. Econ mode if i remember still runs the a/c but at a bare minimum hence Economy mode.
Auto uses the compressor
Unfortunatly, Econ does not.
If Econ does not reach your disired temperature,
then you will need to switch to AUTO.
Economizers usually do this for you automatically.

Subaru SVX for fun
Ford Ranger for work

Last edited by dannmarr; 05-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:06 PM

Registered SVX

I know this is old but I just hooked my ac up (idler pully was froze when I bought the car). So, if it is 64 outside the air will not come on? It is 64 here now and I am trying to see if it works but the compressor don't kick on. The front doesn't spin.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs92svx View Post
I know this is old but I just hooked my ac up (idler pully was froze when I bought the car). So, if it is 64 outside the air will not come on? It is 64 here now and I am trying to see if it works but the compressor don't kick on. The front doesn't spin.
Does it have freon? Have you checked the 10 amp a/c fuse under the hood next to the fwd fuse slot?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Registered SVX

I haven't checked anything yet, I was trying to figure out how it worked. The shop said if it wasn't leaking, it should be good. I would say there is a good chance it has leaked out. We have had it for 2-3 years and its never had a belt on it. The pulley was froze so someone took the belt off.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs92svx View Post
I haven't checked anything yet, I was trying to figure out how it worked. The shop said if it wasn't leaking, it should be good. I would say there is a good chance it has leaked out. We have had it for 2-3 years and its never had a belt on it. The pulley was froze so someone took the belt off.
Yeah, I would bet there's nothing in the system. I think once you start adding freon, the system will detect and start the compressor up. If not, you may need to jump the relay with a wire to turn the compressor on manually. Volvo's are that way when the system is completely empty.