Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Mount Turbo

Take some pics man.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 PM

Thumbs down Re: Remote Mount Turbo

I did take some pics, but I am disappointed and it's late so I will likely post them up tomorrow. I got the engine swapped over, the MAF wired in, and the stage 2 ecu swapped over, however when I went to crank the engine over, my tachometer started break dancing, and my fuel pump relay stared having a seizure. I messed around with it for a while, swapped out the relay with another and the same seizure was happening. I tried to jump power to the fuel pump from the fuse panel bypassing the relay and my dash lights that come on in the run position would come on in the acc position. I checked my grounds and re checked them, remove my jumper wire and the dash lights went off. Upon more investigation, it seems the engine harness on my 92 donor engine is different from the body harness on my 94 daily driver. I took a picture of the connectors from the 94 engine and compared it side by side to the wires on the 92 engine in the car and they are in fact different. so it looks like I will yanking intake manifolds off and swapping engine harnesses around, so my 92 donor engine will have the 94 engine harness on it. I will post up some pics of the differences tomorrow because it's late now and I have to work in the morning. I was excited to fire this thing up, but now I am at the mercy of whether or not these manifolds are gonna cooperate with me.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Registered SVX

Just a note, I am sure you are aware of this.... the stage 2 won't work w/o the N62 MAF and 370cc injectors.

Kind regards and good luck with your project !

Tapani
Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
I did take some pics, but I am disappointed and it's late so I will likely post them up tomorrow. I got the engine swapped over, the MAF wired in, and the stage 2 ecu swapped over, however when I went to crank the engine over, my tachometer started break dancing, and my fuel pump relay stared having a seizure. I messed around with it for a while, swapped out the relay with another and the same seizure was happening. I tried to jump power to the fuel pump from the fuse panel bypassing the relay and my dash lights that come on in the run position would come on in the acc position. I checked my grounds and re checked them, remove my jumper wire and the dash lights went off. Upon more investigation, it seems the engine harness on my 92 donor engine is different from the body harness on my 94 daily driver. I took a picture of the connectors from the 94 engine and compared it side by side to the wires on the 92 engine in the car and they are in fact different. so it looks like I will yanking intake manifolds off and swapping engine harnesses around, so my 92 donor engine will have the 94 engine harness on it. I will post up some pics of the differences tomorrow because it's late now and I have to work in the morning. I was excited to fire this thing up, but now I am at the mercy of whether or not these manifolds are gonna cooperate with me.
You are putting a 92 engine into a 94 body or vice-versa? They should be plug-and-play, I have a 92 engine in my 94, there were no issues whatsoever.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 02-27-2012, 12:17 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
You are putting a 92 engine into a 94 body or vice-versa? They should be plug-and-play, I have a 92 engine in my 94, there were no issues whatsoever.
92 engine going in a 94 will need the intake manifold swapped. The 93+ and 92Cali spec cars use an EGR temp sensor that will throw a code. If you are using ECUtune, no need to worry as it is based off a 92 ECU.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM

does the entire intake manifold have to be swapped, or will the engine harness suffice?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
92 engine going in a 94 will need the intake manifold swapped. The 93+ and 92Cali spec cars use an EGR temp sensor that will throw a code. If you are using ECUtune, no need to worry as it is based off a 92 ECU.
Right, it will throw a code because of the missing sensor, but the harnesses are physically compatible. They will plug into each other no problem and all the other wires match up correctly.

I don't think he should need to swap the harnesses.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM

I will post some pics later on today. from what I see so far it will be necessary to swap the harness and the intake itself. I see the temp sensor located at the EGR. and from what I have seen so far, the harness plug is the same, but some of the wires are in different locations on the plug. I am referring to the main plugs at the back passenger side of the engine, of instance on the 94 engine harness there is a wire in the top right location of the top right main pug in, but on the 92 harness that wire location is blank. that's just one of the differences I saw right away. I will post up some pics of the harnesses so you can "see" what I am talking about.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 AM

here are some photos quick. this one is a picture of the 94 ENGINE HARNESS

Here is a picture of the 92 ENGINE HARNESS

Notice that the first pic of the 94, the left connector has 1 wire missing on the top row, and the SECOND CONNECTOR has the first row of wires full. You will see in the second picture that the left connector has the same wire missing on the top right , but NOTE THAT THE SECOND CONNECTOR ON THE 92 ALSO HAS THE TOP RIGHT WIRE MISSING. this was just kinda the first thing i noticed, even though the connectors plug in together I am willing to bet there are more wires in different locations with the symptoms being, the door chime doesn't work anymore (may or may not be a result of the swap) the file pump doesn't cycle, the fuel pump relay has a seizure when keyed up, and the tach hangs out at 2K RPM until I crank the engine then it moves around anywhere from 0-2K RPM while cranking, and when the key is returned to the ON position from cranking the engine over the tach goes back to 2,000 RPMs. I will continue to update. and will post more pics later on.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 AM

O man, I just looked at the pics and holy smokes guys, I guess a can of de-greaser and pressure washing is in store for the one still on the engine stand LOL
Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 AM

more progress. I got the intake off the 94 the hoses are all dried out and most are cracked so I will be replacing them, hopefully I can get some vacuum hose today after work. One of the air valves under there broke off both of the plastic nipples, I broke one of them trying to remove the hose, the other may have been broken already not real sure but I will get a few pics up and with your help can identify the name of the part. I found the write up my mychallio about taking the intake off with the fuel rails and the injector harness all off together as a unit so I will try that on the 92 (which is in the car). I am pretty sure the fuel rail aided me in breaking a few hoses since I removed just the upper intake manifold and left the fuel rails and everything else mounted. Live and learn right? At least with your help more learning and less damaging things.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 AM

It's been a few days but I am working on the intake manifold swap, does anyone know if the ENTIRE ENGINE HARNESS needs to be swapped, or is the difference just in the INJECTOR HARNESS? I am looking and it seems the injector harness is all that need be changed, but it's a lot of work to put it all back together and after trying to start it realize that it has to come apart again to swap the other harness over. Any help is appreciated
Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 PM

I have to say I think Georgia hates me. making some good progress and now it's raining cats and dogs, according to the radar it's still gonna be raining at 7 tonight. I am gonna pull the car into my carport a little more so I can get this finished up.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM

I also posted this up in the technical forum. these nipples are broken off and my parts one had one of them broken off. what is it? and what does it do? will there be any ill effects of just bypassing it? thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post

I also posted this up in the technical forum. these nipples are broken off and my parts one had one of them broken off. what is it? and what does it do? will there be any ill effects of just bypassing it? thanks
Purge control solenoid. Do you care about passing emissions or not? And having the charcoal canister working? Because if not, you can block off the lines going to and from it and wrap it up so it doesn't get any dirt/junk in it, and just leave it plugged in. It's not necessary to the operation of the car at all, but it helps with emissions just a tad. Search "charcoal canister", I have posted info about it before.