Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM

Re: AC Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1One1AndOnly View Post
Wow that hose is coming out to 150$ even after discount. Does anyone have that hose in good condition, or is it better for me to just get it knew?
Lot of pressure in that system... I would "bite the bullet" and do it right.

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 08-03-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

@ kwren> I see... Your right, after all it is a hose, I guess I got no choice..
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Registered SVX

I'm using Liberty Subaru in NJ with the SVX network discount (getting 150$), If anybody knows a better spot to get it for a lower price please let me know, I will be ordering it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback, I will let you know how it went after installation.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Registered SVX
Wink Re: AC Question

BTW, > (Add a color to or change the color of (something) by soaking it in a solution impregnated with a dye.)
The guy used a purple light and was able to tell where the leak was when it came out of the whole after putting it into the system, not a bad way to find it, I don't get the fuss..

I don't get the misconception and need for unnecessary dialogue. No point of arguing over this. I'm tired of arguing on this site or.. unless someone gets of line.

Suppose to be here to support the SVX network and help out.

Once again appreciate all the help..
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

It's not you, or your specific problem, man. Those two like to argue.

Using dye to find an A/C leak is a common thing. You just have to have a UV light in order to see the particular dye used. Usually they find a leak in the O-rings between the hoses, but sometimes the lines or hoses themselves can be bad. O-rings are several hundred times cheaper than hoses, so it's nice when that's all you need. Did you have a look for yourself to make sure the hose itself is leaking?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Registered SVX

No worries...

Yeah I did, they both had a **** load of tares. The dealer said the O-rings are included with the hose. Going to order it first thing tomorrow.

Appreciate the feedback Icing, I think you send me the link for the axel's before, It was a great price and fit, do you have a similar link for bearings and struts?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Registered SVX

I agree: "Sarcasm" has it's time..

It's a bunch of online B.S. Just keep it real..
Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Haha, I forgot about that. Anytime man.

Struts, you're stuck with good used, Konis, or OEM. Getting good struts from someone converting to coilovers would be a good option. New OEM ones have been reported to go bad quickly because they've been sitting for so long. Konis can be purchased here: http://classicgarage.com/subsvx19fron.html but they are inserts and, thus, a pain to install (search the forums to find more on how they have to be installed). Lifetime warranty, but they do go bad every so often. I think they're rebuildable also. I haven't had to replace struts yet, but I will be converting to coilovers eventually. Not sure what the best option for you would be.

Rear wheel bearings, timken has a part that fits and worked fine for me, and is pretty cheap. I dunno the part number, but it's very easy to find online.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
No worries...

Yeah I did, they both had a **** load of tares. The dealer said the O-rings are included with the hose. Going to order it first thing tomorrow.
A word of caution... Might make sure the "O" rings are all 4... 2 for the compressor and 2 for the accumulator as well. Take a good luck at the "0" rings as each of the 4 is a different size.

I would be surprised if they all came with one new hose.

Good luck,
Keith
Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Registered SVX

Yeah Its 4 *O-rings, thanks for the reassurance. I ordered it, should have it by FRI. I will let you know how it went..

The daily driver is a '92, struts never been changed. Although it only has 105k it is a "20 year old car", just looking for future change if needed, same for the bearings, I don't have a problem with them, but they also have never been changed, I just like doing things sooner then later to avoid future problems.

I have a '95 SVX with under 100k but a bent valve in the engine causing heavy gas drainage and a cylinder not to work, a lot of noise> but drives fine lol. Struts body and everything else including trans. are in good condition, I am thinking of parting it and keep all the parts as spares for the '92, not sure yet, although on the '92 most of the parts are new, including a rebuilt trans. running smooth and like new.

Everything else is great, cant wait to get the paint job done already on the '92, its gonna look fresh, will post pics.. Looking to garage it for the future as a classic .
Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 PM

More "Fatherly advice"... I would give that parting out option on your 95 a "bunch of serious thought" before I decided on that direction...

Keith
Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Sorry I am late to this party, but it looks like you are doing all the right things on your a/c system. Definitely smart to get the new parts...don't mess with used UNLESS you thoroughly flush them (need a air compressor, tank gun and the proper solution...nothing difficult but will take time to gather all the parts if you don't have them).

Since you'll be opening up the system you'll have to pull a vacuum. I am not sure if you're doing all this yourself, if you are I could give you more info than I am sure you'd care to ever know. I just reinstalled and replaced with new parts every component of the svx's a/c system.

Oh and FYI our svx's use a receiver/dryer not an accumulator. In accumulator type a/c systems they use an orifice tube. In our svx's we use a receiver/dryer with an expansion valve. I would strongly advise you to flush the evaporator, a big PIA (requires removal of the glove box and removal of the expansion valve). WIthout doing this you may just be recycling crub through your system and you'll end up right where you are now. These a/c systems are so damn expensive I took the time to do it. Good luck, no a/c and this heat wave is a bad combo!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Yeah Its 4 *O-rings, thanks for the reassurance. I ordered it, should have it by FRI. I will let you know how it went..

The daily driver is a '92, struts never been changed. Although it only has 105k it is a "20 year old car", just looking for future change if needed, same for the bearings, I don't have a problem with them, but they also have never been changed, I just like doing things sooner then later to avoid future problems.

I have a '95 SVX with under 100k but a bent valve in the engine causing heavy gas drainage and a cylinder not to work, a lot of noise> but drives fine lol. Struts body and everything else including trans. are in good condition, I am thinking of parting it and keep all the parts as spares for the '92, not sure yet, although on the '92 most of the parts are new, including a rebuilt trans. running smooth and like new.

Everything else is great, cant wait to get the paint job done already on the '92, its gonna look fresh, will post pics.. Looking to garage it for the future as a classic .
It would be a very rare occurrence for a valve to be bent in this engine. Maybe a collapsed lifter?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Keith, as for the o-rings I don't believe the compressor has any o-rings (absent the bolt that allows access to the oil). There are only two o-rings near the compressor...the low side hose and the hp hose from the compressor to the condensor and these o-rings attach to the hose fittings themselves.

When the parts are bought new from Subaru new o-rings are included...so he's good to go! Keep those nifty plastic plugs that come with the parts they would sure come in handy again if you were to ever disassemble the a/c system.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Keith, as for the o-rings I don't believe the compressor has any o-rings (absent the bolt that allows access to the oil). There are only two o-rings near the compressor...the low side hose and the hp hose from the compressor to the condenser and these o-rings attach to the hose fittings themselves.
Good point , but what's the point The "lo presure" hose fastens to the suction side of the compressor where the "O" ring seal is and the "High presure hose fastens to the compressor on the other side where another "O" ring seal is located.

I consider the two valves that the hoses fasten to a part of the Subaru SVX compressor, but since I have never actually purchased a new compressor for a SVX, I would not swear that the valves would be attached when the compressor is shipped. As far as "these o-rings attach to the hose fittings themselves, I think they "just lie there and when the bolt that holds the hoses to the compressor is torqued in place, the "O" rings have no place to go! At least that is the way it is on all 3 of my SVX's.

You are correct about the accumulator having a dryer-filter capability... a point that isn't necessarily important to know when replacing a nose.

Don't be sorry that you were "late to the party"... the main thing is that you are here now!!!

Keith