How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 PM

Registered SVX
anyone actually use 2.2 pistons?

Did anyone actually go ahead and use 2.2 NA or turbo pistons for a turbo build?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Registered SVX
Re: anyone actually use 2.2 pistons?

Pistons dictate compression. Turbo build you'd want the turbo pistons because they are dished out more to lower compression. I suppose you could use NA Pistons, but I would make sure to use thick headgaskets to compensate or you will have a 9.5:1 turbo detonation queen
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxxx View Post
Pistons dictate compression. Turbo build you'd want the turbo pistons because they are dished out more to lower compression. I suppose you could use NA Pistons, but I would make sure to use thick headgaskets to compensate or you will have a 9.5:1 turbo detonation queen
I wouldn't use thick head gaskets as it will open up the squish area to increase the amount of end gas that will cause major detonation.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Cool Re: anyone actually use 2.2 pistons?

I used a 0.5mm spacer plate in my old 1300cc Honda Civic (with 2" SU carb) - ran TO4 with 15-20lb boost waste gate from BMW 2002Tii.

Also ran with water injection (pressure switch mounted on the inlet plenum) - got clocked at 225km/h at a local club meeting at Pukekohe here in Auckland - not bad from 1300cc (this is when I got plate "1 OF 1" - that is now on the SVX)

Wolf in sheeps clothing - car was from show room (6 months later it was street legal machine). Torque steer was hard with 20lb boost due to uneven length drive shafts from front wheel drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukekohe_Park_Raceway
Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Registered SVX

i know there was that huge discussion on it whether or not to do it apparently the turbo pistons are 7something:1 compression in our cars
and the NA are 8.5:1
i was curious if anyone did it
Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I wouldn't use thick head gaskets as it will open up the squish area to increase the amount of end gas that will cause major detonation.

Harvey.
Not neccesarily. Look at the EJ25D engine, thicker headgaskets allowed lower compression = higher timing = increased power compared to the EJ253 and EJ251. The tops of the pistons are different shapes domed vs dished, so the thicker headgasket just lowers the compression to compensate for the domed piston. on USMB someone had come up with a formula for figuring out the combinations of pistons and head gaskets and the corresponding compression ratio using the different combinations.

if doing turbo conversion, I would use turbo pistons because I doubt there is a manufacturer out there that is making different thickness EG33 headgaskets.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Registered SVX

Cosmetic offers headgaskets for the eg33 in various thicknesses. I believe .066" is standard, and they offer 2 other (thicker) sizes.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

the combustion chambers of the 2.2l cyl heads are significantly different (smaller) than yours which would change everything. Get custom pistons or use stock ones... Those are the two options

Tom
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM

according to the chiltons repair manual the 1991 -96 svx and the 1991- 94 legacy turbo pistons have the same bore and stroke of 3.82 x 2.95

the dsiplacement of the 91-94 turbo legacy is 2212cc if you divide that by 4 you get a result of 553cc of displacement per cylinder.

the svx has a displacement of 3318cc, divide by 6 equals 553 cc of displacement per cylinder.

the difference in compression ratios are 8.0:1 on the turbo legacy, and 10:1 on the 93-96 SVX with a compression ratio of 10.1:1 on the 92 SVX.

so it looks to me like the block of the eg3.3 is the same as an ej 2.2 just with two more cylinders added on. As far as the combustion chambers being different between the heads, that doesn't make sense to me unless i am overlooking something here. if each engine has the same displacement per cylinder, same bore size, and same stroke, that tells me the cylinders are the same size, and therefore the combustion chamber of the heads are the same. according to the math here it looks as tho the eg33 is nothing more than a 6 cylinder variant of the ej22.

i have been researching this extensively as i am about to order legacy turbo pistons plus two from wiseco pistons for a turbo build of my own so if i am wrong please correct me now so i don't about 900 bucks.

anyways i hope this helps

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 03-28-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Dig around here for a bit and you'll find that some pretty prominent Network figures sorted out that the EJ22T pistons would make a poor match for the EG33, leaving you with (iirc) a 7.x:1 compression ratio. Bleah!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:31 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
according to the chiltons repair manual the 1991 -96 svx and the 1991- 94 legacy turbo pistons have the same bore and stroke of 3.82 x 2.95

the dsiplacement of the 91-94 turbo legacy is 2212cc if you divide that by 4 you get a result of 553cc of displacement per cylinder.

the svx has a displacement of 3318cc, divide by 6 equals 553 cc of displacement per cylinder.

the difference in compression ratios are 8.0:1 on the turbo legacy, and 10:1 on the 93-96 SVX with a compression ratio of 10.1:1 on the 92 SVX.

so it looks to me like the block of the eg3.3 is the same as an ej 2.2 just with two more cylinders added on. As far as the combustion chambers being different between the heads, that doesn't make sense to me unless i am overlooking something here. if each engine has the same displacement per cylinder, same bore size, and same stroke, that tells me the cylinders are the same size, and therefore the combustion chamber of the heads are the same. according to the math here it looks as tho the eg33 is nothing more than a 6 cylinder variant of the ej22.
i have been researching this extensively as i am about to order legacy turbo pistons plus two from wiseco pistons for a turbo build of my own so if i am wrong please correct me now so i don't about 900 bucks.

anyways i hope this helps
We know the math.
If you are going to spend $900 on Wiseco pistons why not look on here for someone who has CP pistons actually MADE for an SVX;
longassname at ECUTune sells or sold them brand new,
I believe that Mike, mikecg has a set to sell.
sicksubie... Got some?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 PM

sweet I appreciate the info guys.

I looked into the turbo pistons on ECUTUNE.com, but in my email i received a reply that the individual has no plans to make the turbo pistons again.

anyways 7:1 would be pretty low, i guess that would be fine if you were gonna run something like 35psi, and didn't mind having no power till you hit around 5000 on the tach. the good thing is if you get the compression low enough, you get to hook up a leaf blower to the intake every morning just to get it to start lol. anyways i will inquire about the set of pistons you mentioned svxfiles. thanks again
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

Quote:
As far as the combustion chambers being different between the heads, that doesn't make sense to me unless i am overlooking something here. if each engine has the same displacement per cylinder, same bore size, and same stroke, that tells me the cylinders are the same size, and therefore the combustion chamber of the heads are the same. according to the math here it looks as tho the eg33 is nothing more than a 6 cylinder variant of the ej22.
um yea your really missing the idea that the heads have nothing in common. most notably ej22t = sohc, eg33 = dohc. hell even the spark plugs are not in the same place in the combustion chamber... piston shape and combustion chamber shape are pretty important when it comes to how fuel is being burnt inside the cylinder.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM

i was simply referring the size of the combustion chamber. I haven't seen the heads side by side to note the actual differences, my comment was simply the combustion chamber was the same size mathematically, but i see in my original post i said the same. My bad, thanks for the correction.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
i was simply referring the size of the combustion chamber. I haven't seen the heads side by side to note the actual differences, my comment was simply the combustion chamber was the same size mathematically, but i see in my original post i said the same. My bad, thanks for the correction.
Don't forget that the piston shapes can be different, too. Bore and stroke are only 1 part of the equation.