IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
How to install H3 fog HID's? (DDM)

Hey guys,

I ordered some H3 fog lights from DDM Tuning and after I fussed with them for about an hour and a half, I finally gave up and decided to ask the experts.

I've looked for a while and can't really find a write up or a how to for how to install these buggers. Some threads say just simple plug-n-play but it's not that easy at all.

Could someone maybe make a write up or possibly list what wires I should "splice" or "cut" to get this thing to work? I unscrewed the piece that covers the bulb, then I unscrewed the little screws that hold in the bulb and noticed that there is a copper colored cord attached to the bulb and I don't know what to do next. What attaches where?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: How to install H3 fog HID's? (DDM)

If I remember right, you shouldn't have to unscrew anything. There's a crazy spring loaded paperclip thing that you unhook and hinge out of the way. The bulb has a single lead on it and grounds through the round metal disc it's mounted to.

I don't know what DDM sent you (pic?) but it should go in with a similar fashion if they truly sent you H3s.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

The only modification I had to do was enlarge the hole on the center of the gray plastic cover that you twist to get to the bulb. My wiring/connector was a little too large to fit through the stock hole.

There is a key notch, which allows the bulb to only seat one way. Once it is in, the spring clip locks in and holds it secure.

When you take out the old H-3 bulbs and see how they lock and unlock, all will become clear.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 03-16-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I unscrewed the piece that covers the bulb, then I unscrewed the little screws that hold in the bulb and noticed that there is a copper colored cord attached to the bulb and I don't know what to do next. What attaches where?
I think this is what he is talking about. Click HERE

Contact OT to see how he put them in. We did not have to do all that cutting and fabrication.

I believe the ones we used were more like this:

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 03-14-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I think this is what he is talking about. Click HERE

Contact OT to see how he put them in. We did not have to do all that cutting and fabrication.

I thought about giving up and bugging him a few times and it's really easy to just say " I give up" and contact him since he is right down the road but this is going to be different.

The ONLY things I have done on my own with this car is paint the center grille and install a new thermostat. I want to learn and see if I can do it on my own without relying on someone else to do it for me. I'm sure you'd understand too. I just need a little nudge in the right direction...
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

There is a product difference between the Lava Lux (which OT sold) and the DDM. He can just give you a little guidance and show you the differences and let you do it on your own.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
There is a product difference between the Lava Lux (which OT sold) and the DDM. He can just give you a little guidance and show you the differences and let you do it on your own.

Yeah the Lava Lux ones are the ones I'm using for my headlights but the DDM's were cheap and I couldn't pass them up.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Here are some pics of what I'm describing and the kit that was sent to me.. I coded the connections with numbers from 1-7 for ease of identification and to direct what goes where.

Here's the headlight bulb attached to the "paper-clip" spring:

What the heck does the blue, (pink) and gold wire hook up to?

Here's the kit that was sent to me:

Anybody else run into an issue?

Last edited by Freeman; 03-14-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Here are some pics of what I'm describing and the kit that was sent to me.. I coded the connections with numbers from 1-7 for ease of identification and to direct what goes where.

Here's the headlight bulb attached to the "paper-clip" spring:

Anybody else run into an issue?
Forgive me, but that installation was rather simple when I did it.

Plug the leads from the bulb into the ballast (the shiny grey box). Each plug only fits in its female mate. There should be three wires going between the bulb and ballast. #3 into the ballast itself and 4 into 2 and 5 into 1.

Then, plug the red lead on the bulb (6) into the lead from the car (where the old bulb would plug into) and 7 needs to go against the metal ring for a ground somehow (or I suppose that you could just run a 14g wire with a spade connector from the neg. pole on the battery to the ground wire plug 7; pick your poison on that one).

The difference with the 9005's/6's is that the ground is built into the plug of the harness for the bulb itself whereas with the H3, the ground is that metal ring.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Sounds simple enough. Leave it to me to take something simple and turn it into an issue. I'll try this when I have some daylight tomorrow. At least there will be a through how-to or a write up once I'm all done.

EDIT: What do I do with the gold wire attached to the stock bulb?

Last edited by Freeman; 03-15-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
with the H3, the ground is that metal ring.
If that is correct, then whoever replaced my cars fog lights did something wrong. I just replaced one of my foglights, and while I was grabbing the wire that came off of the bulb it touched my PWR radiator, arced, and lit the fog light.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
EDIT: What do I do with the gold wire attached to the stock bulb?
Nothing. It's part of the bulb. If you were to buy a new H3 in the store, that's what it would look like.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

It wasn't as easy as I thought but it wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be. Looks like crap under the hood cause I couldn't get the center pieces to fit in the screw cap thing but they are functional!

Thanks a lot for your help guys! Once again, you've proved to be a very very valuable resource..
Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Keith
Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM

Registered SVX

Manarius, I tested the other '92 that's sitting in my driveway, and the cord that comes off of the bulb is the ground. The ring has a constant 12v while the car is off. All I did was unplug the bulb lead and ground it to make it light up.