Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-06-2011, 04:02 PM

No start issue & cracked timing housing... and starter

I've got 2 problems I need a hand with on the same car....

Problem #1
Looking for ideas on a 92 SVX I can't get to turn over. the car was running rough and was leaning towards an issue with maybe the coil packs- so was going to transfer them off a another 94 SVX with relatively fresh coils and new plugs and see how far that would clear up the problem. Now the 92 with the issues has been sitting for about 3 weeks in a garage in a WI winter and now when turning the key to start, it won't start. Up till now, that was never a problem with it. I can smell a bit of fuel and a fresh battery was put it. I can't get it to even 'bump start' to get the crank pulley off to even start digging into my other problem listed below....

Problem #2
The bottom of the passenger side of the timing belt housing that's attached to the block has a crack in it and alot of oil leaked out from there. One of the corners that a bolt passes through from the passenger side outer cover is where the crack is. I found this pic and it's #5 -> Cover cp-belt, no2 right hand part number: 13532AA002. Any way to get this back cover off to replace if I cant get the crank pulley off?

I'm in a catch 22 with these 2 probs- any ideas?

thanks! john

Last edited by Heat Seeker WS6; 03-11-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: No start issue & cracked timing housing

If it won't even turn over, you have a power or starter issue, which will need to be addressed before going any further, try a know good battery in it before going any further.

#2 The timing covers don't seal up oil leaks, they are just dust shields, and the car can be run without them...so you have a seal leaking behind the cover, probably either the crank seal, or the cam seals.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
If it won't even turn over, you have a power or starter issue, which will need to be addressed before going any further, try a know good battery in it before going any further.

#2 The timing covers don't seal up oil leaks, they are just dust shields, and the car can be run without them...so you have a seal leaking behind the cover, probably either the crank seal, or the cam seals.
Thanks for the response- Here's what I've got so far....
I agree with you on the starting issue- I can't proceed without it at least turning over. We put in a new battery already and no change while trying to start. (still nothing beyond lights and dash lights turning on when attemping to start.) After work today we're going to look at power/ground wire issues & then starter. Maybe bad starter solenoid? Also, could that 'security' button w/ the red light under the instament cluster have anything to do with this? To me that button seems like a type of starting interrupt switch.

#2 response: There's no oil in that area? After sitting for 3-4 weeks, we have about a quart of oil under the car and it looked like it origionated from that cracked regoin. (lower passengerside). The oil filter area was dry of any oil and it didn't seem like the dain plug seal went bad. I do plan on pulling the drainplug to check the integrity of its seal though. Up until this point of sitting for this long, it would do a little bit of spotting, but nothing substantial. Are the crank / cam seals prone to leaking? Referring to when exactly where that crack is... looking at part #9 on that pic above, its the innermost of the bottom bolts; and the crack is in part #5.

Last edited by Heat Seeker WS6; 03-07-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:38 PM

On the seals, yes, the cam and crank seals are prone to leak after they get some years /miles on them, and most of these cars are almost 20 years old now, so most of the seals and gaskets could stand to be replaced.

Have to pull the timing belt to do those seals, and the oil pump seal is also on the front of the motor, and should probably be done at the same time if you have that bad of a leak.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Registered SVX

save yourself some time and just jump positive battery power to the signal wire on the starter, if nothing happens smack it with a hammer.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm up here in Sheboygan, if you need a hand, or a spare starter to test, just let me know. Otherwise try doing what the others have said to see if the starter is dead or what's going on. Do you get anything when you turn the key? clicking, anything?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I'm up here in Sheboygan, if you need a hand, or a spare starter to test, just let me know. Otherwise try doing what the others have said to see if the starter is dead or what's going on. Do you get anything when you turn the key? clicking, anything?
Thanks for the offer Nate and others chiming in, we got progress .... Hit the starter with the BFH and got the motor to bump over to use that technique to break loose the crankpulley's bolt. OK, now we're adding a starter to the shopping list. That was a curveball we weren't expecting to run into.
Got the left & right front timing chain covers off and tomorrow we're going to continue on.
Anything to be particularly aware of while removing the stuff to get to the cam & crank seals? I'm guessing those seals just pry out and the new ones need some massaging to get in.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6 View Post
Thanks for the offer Nate and others chiming in, we got progress .... Hit the starter with the BFH and got the motor to bump over to use that technique to break loose the crankpulley's bolt. OK, now we're adding a starter to the shopping list. That was a curveball we weren't expecting to run into.
Got the left & right front timing chain covers off and tomorrow we're going to continue on.
Anything to be particularly aware of while removing the stuff to get to the cam & crank seals? I'm guessing those seals just pry out and the new ones need some massaging to get in.
Just a drill bit and then screw to pull the old seals out, or any other way you seem fit as to not scratch up the sides. Then a large socket or something else that is round and the same size as the seal usually works well to press the new seal in with even pressure.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Re: No start issue & cracked timing housing ... and starter

Well, this got interesting... got all the way to the cam & crank seals and those regions had no sign of any oil leaks. Nice clean metal with not even any stain marks! The oil worked its way through the plastic cover and sure as heck made it look like those seals were the culprit. So, I'm going to leave well enough alone. I followed the oil trails a bit more closely and found that the culprit was the passenger side valve cover from several places. Pulled the cover & and ordered new VC gasket, the 2 small ones and the 10 new grommets from subaruparts.com and should be seeing them on Tuesday. Yeah it was alot of work to get this far but now have a good understanding of setting the timing and disassembly of that region under the hood. Any tips / tricks when putting the timing belt & etc all back together again?

The prob with the no-start condition was the starter- so now get to change that too. OK, I moved some of the stuff out of the way to better see it and got the connectors off of it, but whats the best and least painful way to get to it's lower mounting bolt?

Last edited by Heat Seeker WS6; 03-11-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Registered SVX

if you have a long extension and a wobble socket you can get it from underneath the car
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 PM

I was wondering about that. I jacked the driver's of the car but guess I didnt go high enough because I couldn't 'see' that path. Coming at it topside just wasn't working at all.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:04 AM

No way I'd have all the timing belt and sprockets off and NOT replace those seals...
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Registered SVX

the path is to hold the ratchet next to the trans, with the long extension running slightly over the top of it and pointed up a little, it's hard to see from the ground but if you have a second person have them direct the socket onto the bolt from up top while you are underneath
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
the path is to hold the ratchet next to the trans, with the long extension running slightly over the top of it and pointed up a little, it's hard to see from the ground but if you have a second person have them direct the socket onto the bolt from up top while you are underneath
Yep, and thats exactly how it went and was able to fanaggle the starter up and out topside. Was about to drop the exhaust to get it out through the bottom like I used to have to do on my T/A. New starter arriving today and seals tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:04 AM

Got the new valve cover seals installed and also swapped out the newer pass side coil wires from the 'donor' 94 SVX after discovering this car's wires were chafed and the wire core was exposed. New starter put in (ended up going through the top with it after moving all tubes & etc out of the way) Set the timing dead on and damn, this car now idles great for the 1st time since owning and feels much smoother & stronger! This is now going to be a FUN car to drive and run hard
Not a drop of oil has leaked out from it in the last 3 days

Thanks everyone for your input and ideas- all of it was very valuable and it all worked out great

Not sure if I can do this or not but I'm going to put a plug in for Subaruparts.com (Bruce Titus Subaru) in Tacoma Washington. They made sure I still got the parts (Milwaukee, WI) when I needed them even though at the time when I ordered the parts- shipping from the west coast & everything else was thrown off by the Tsunami.

Last edited by Heat Seeker WS6; 03-19-2011 at 08:42 AM.