Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
5mt/6mt Conversion Kits

THIS PROJECT IS ON HOLD FOR NOW

We offer conversion kits for your svx with all the custom parts fabricated and ready to go.

Our basic Kit $500 includes:

Modified shifter
Custom Xmember
Modified Pedal Assemblies
Shifter bracket

Advanced kit (still in development) includes:

Basic Kit
Modified plug and play wire harness for NSS bypass (w/ or w/o clutch pedal switch)
Extended and Balanced Drive Shaft
Custom Shifter Bezel
WRX Transmission
WRX Rear Differential with Swapped Carrier Bearing (retaining LSD)
WRX Clutch Master Cylinder
WRX Clutch Fork
WRX Clutch Assembly
WRX Flywheel
Mode Short Throw Shifter

Pro kit (still in development) includes:

Basic Kit
Modified plug and play wire harness for NSS bypass (w/ or w/o clutch pedal switch)
Extended and Balanced Drive Shaft
Custom Shifter Bezel
STI Transmission
STI Rear Differential
STI Clutch Master Cylinder
STI Clutch Fork
STI Clutch Assembly
Lightweight STI Flywheel
Mode Short Throw Shifter

Kits will be customizable but advanced and pro kits will be more heavily discounted because they are bigger packages.

Last edited by Johnybeas; 03-09-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 5mt/6mt Conversion Kits

I am not mechanically competent enough to tackle a conversion but I have to say, I love that you are doing this. I hope you sell a bunch of them.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

We'll include detailed instructions with the kits, but there are already some pretty good how to's on the network. It's mostly just nuts and bolts type stuff. with the advanced and pro kits you'll have everything you need minus maybe a drill bit or 3, some sockets a ratchet and some brute force.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Just for curiosity's sake, how much would adding a lengthened driveshaft be to the basic kit? or also to buy it outright?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

nate post me a comment on facebook so I remember to check this tomorrow when I'm making phone calls.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 PM

Registered SVX

one thing i never understood was swapping the rear end when using most wrx transmissions. afaik 02-05 wrx which are the most common trannies to come by for a cheap price share the same ratio so they dont have to be touched.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 PM

G'day,

have you got a picture of the kit?

Cheers
Old 11-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
one thing i never understood was swapping the rear end when using most wrx transmissions. afaik 02-05 wrx which are the most common trannies to come by for a cheap price share the same ratio so they dont have to be touched.
only reason to do this would be to replace an older diff with one with less miles... in my case swapping 75K mile diff for one with 206K. If mileage and condition was similar on both I'd recommend keeping the SVX diff just for the fact that it'll be less work as well as I prefer LSD over Open.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-top View Post
G'day,

have you got a picture of the kit?

Cheers
Have pictures of a few parts I got from Tom that he had for his kits. As of right now I've got a lot of R&D projects going on.

We plan to take Tom's Xmember and make a Jig out of it and make a cleaner TIG welded version just for aesthetic reasons to make it look more like a professional product not a DIY. Nothing against Tom's workmanship because it is an awesome product and definitely rigid and does the job well. However, we feel that to make this more of a production item we'd like to clean it up around the edges a bit.

Also I'm working on a plug and play option for the confusing NSS bypass as well as a few other items to make the conversion easier for the average person to install and to give a factory look to the conversions.

Our whole goal is to make it easier for SVXer's. We'd like to make it a one stop shop kinda deal where you order the conversion kit and you get everything you need and aren't looking for more parts or having to modify anything else. Also you'll have the piece of mind that it's a quality kit that's well thought out and has a proven history of success by others in the past.

We'd also like to produce a nice set of instructions with the kit so that it's a fairly user friendly job and a person with enough motivation can get the job done and not get overly stressed or feel lost and confused.

I know it's a lot to ask for to have all these things. But we at TruSpeed feel that it's important to do the job right the first time so that our customers are satisfied and impressed for years to come by the work that we do for them.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
Incorrect... You must swap the rear end when using ANY WRX transmission. The only exception is using an '07+ STi transmission. Reason being is that all WRX trannies had a 3.9 final drive ratio and the SVX has a 3.54 final drive ratio. The '07 and up STi trannies also had a 3.9 final drive ratio but they had a 1.1:1 step down to the rear. This allowed them to use a 3.54 rear diff.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

The rear differential in a 2002 WRX has a 3.545 gear ratio as does the Subaru SVX... they are the same.

Rear differential for a 2002 Impreza WRX

92-94 Subaru SVX

These are taken from ALLDATA who got the information directly from the manufaturer
Attached Images
File Type: gif svxdiff.gif (21.2 KB, 1382 views)
File Type: gif wrxdiff.gif (13.6 KB, 909 views)

Last edited by Johnybeas; 11-16-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 PM

When will the kits be Available?
Cheers

Last edited by H-top; 11-15-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Our projected timeline as of today is CAI kits before xmas. Headers and Manual conversion kits by Jan. or Feb. is our goal. We also have a few other SVX specific items we're bringing out that we haven't announced yet. Keep an eye on the TruSpeed thread for updates.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Incorrect... You must swap the rear end when using ANY WRX transmission. The only exception is using an '07+ STi transmission. Reason being is that all WRX trannies had a 3.9 final drive ratio and the SVX has a 3.54 final drive ratio. The '07 and up STi trannies also had a 3.9 final drive ratio but they had a 1.1:1 step down to the rear. This allowed them to use a 3.54 rear diff.
Yea, so do the 02-05 WRX transmissions... 3.90 FD dropped down with a 1.1:1 reduction gear to use 3.545 rear diff... just FYI

Tom
Old 11-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Yea, so do the 02-05 WRX transmissions... 3.90 FD dropped down with a 1.1:1 reduction gear to use 3.545 rear diff... just FYI

Tom
but then they changed in '06?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5