Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 04-22-2010, 11:06 AM

Tappet noise

I haven't used my SVX for quite a while as I've had to buy a new van, started it up today and have noticed a tappet noise is this usual if the car is left a long time without use or a symptom of something else.
On another note I'm seriously thinking of selling the SVX as the new Renault Trafic I've bought is so comfortable. Not sure if I mentioned I bought the SVX to use alongside the Transit as it was too uncomfortable for long distances now with the new van being so comfortable the car is not being used shame really.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Phil & Belha

Re: Tappet noise

This is normal when the car has been parked for a long time. It usually goes away after you've run the engine for a while
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Hydraulic tappets. Maybe an oil change with genuine filter will help, even if only psychologically. Why would you choose an SVX purely for comfort? - I'm puzzled...
A Citroen XM perhaps, OK, but the qualities an SVX has in terms of performance and sheer grip outshine it's comfort, in my opinion, anyway.
Should point out I ride a bike most of the time so maybe not the most objective reply!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 AM

Yes the noise did go away so it was just a case of the oil draining out, the oil is new. Don't get me wrong I love the SVX and have wanted one since its launch its just that I had a reason to justify the purchase (as I have a few cars and the wife and accountant always give me a hard time about the number of vehicles I run) with the Transit but now the new van makes its use very infrequent.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Registered SVX

How anyone can compare a van to the SVX is beyond me, but each to there own I suppose.....

The only thing that dampens the fire on ownership of the SVX is the cost of fuel, but thats down to the fact we 'British' don't complain like the French!

Your tappets will drain of oil if left for a while with the pressure of the cam lobe on them, they quickly return to life when you fire up the engine.

John

the older I get, the faster I was
Old 05-09-2010, 03:09 AM

I'm not comparing the SVX to a van, I bought the SVX as an alternative to using the Transit for long trips to site. The SVX has been one of 'must buy' cars since I read an american test report on it when it was first launched I love the car and will make steps to try and justify it to others.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: