SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Ideas for the next Reading.

Insurance for a 10 car, 1 day event at the local kart track (yes, full size cars on the track) was about $800 from K&K.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Insurance for a 10 car, 1 day event at the local kart track (yes, full size cars on the track) was about $800 from K&K.
So if you are quick with figures, it would be $80 per car.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

For our event, there was the track rental, too... E$pen$iv!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I would do the scenic drive next year. Maybe I'll drink too :P (I actually do drink, just haven't been lately).

Maybe I should bring some models to shoot for a day? Maybe this will inspire people to shine up their cars
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I would do the scenic drive next year. Maybe I'll drink too :P (I actually do drink, just haven't been lately).

Maybe I should bring some models to shoot for a day? Maybe this will inspire people to shine up their cars
OT might even take a shower!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
hey he showered....I saw him with wet hair once.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
I believe that I took five showers from Friday untill Sunday, however Sundays shower did not happen untill about 11:30 as I had to work on Nan's SVX early Sunday morning...
Reading to me is to meet friends, take showers, and sleep...
As the rest of my life is too freekin hecktic for sleep or friends....
Earl, you bi+ch!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
I completely agree A+++ for the idea.
I also agree ...... We could have a "car (SVX) Show" where awards are given out - "BEST OF ......." could be many things like
- best of show,
- best wheels / tires combination,
- best looking engine,
- most unique,
- most original,
- etc.
These awards could / should be judged by the group attending as a whole - each registered SVX owner having a single vote. We have done this kind of thing at local car shows forever.
We could also have the following:

- best mechanical condition (judged by a knowledgeable tech person)
- coming the greatest distance (registration based)

Events during the meet are, I think, also important, but as John alluded to, these things take coordination and volunteers - who will step up to the plate? If not for John H., this last Reading probably would not have happened. In the past the same applies for Dave and Ben and others.
Even a "Dine and Drive" would be nice - a nice ( perhaps 25 - 50 mile) scenic drive to a nice place to eat that has reasonable costs and good food.

I also think there should be less emphasis on "drinking" - sorry, OT, Ron and others. I would not want the READING meet to become (as I am afraid it has) for simply drinking in the parking lot using the SVX as an excuse.

Tech sessions are good also, but this could (and usually is) a huge burden on a select few, and if not enough are doing it, those individuals end up only fixing other people's cars - for nothing.

Just my two (or three) cents ...... BOTTOM LINE: Those that complain about the meet need to step up and help with the organization and conduct of the meet. If not willing to do so, then DON'T COMPLAIN .....

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post
BOTTOM LINE: Those that complain about the meet need to step up and help with the organization and conduct of the meet. If not willing to do so, then DON'T COMPLAIN .....

Harry
well said. I helped organize the last drive we did and it was like pulling teeth to get people to go b/c they were too busy drinking and staring at somebodys _____. It was a thankless job that people found it too hard to look at a paper and follow directions.

Those who complain feel free to step up. As of now I see it for what it is...a party in a parking lot with some cars. Not every year has to be as awesome as the pace car year though.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Quote:
I also think there should be less emphasis on "drinking" - sorry, OT, Ron and others.
Is this the "pick on OT" thread? He does, indeed, shower (often) and drink (again, often), but these have nothing to do with Reading. Lighten up, guys!

[/begin soapbox]

I agree, this year was the least organized Reading thus far, due to the fact that nobody new is volunteering to help organize anything and the people who have been planning and organizing things in the past are tired of trying to come up with new ideas and then make all the arrangements (in their spare time.) And the cold weather made it difficult to get everybody in the same general area at the same time, so we didn't even organize a photo shoot this year. I admit I even dropped the ball on the name tags this year, because the rain on Friday and the wind on Saturday made it impossible to set up an area for it.

Most of the ideas presented here, as well as repeating some of the things we have done at previous meets, sound good, but talk is cheap. Until we have members willing to invest the time to make these things happen, they just won't. We owe a debt of gratitude to Benebob, Hocrest and John (sorry if I'm forgetting anybody) for all the time and effort they have put into the meets in the past, but if we want the meet to continue, we need volunteers!!!

[/end soapbox]

I think we should continue to offer ideas, bounce them around and check their feasibility, and then maybe after Christmas or so, offer them up and gauge interest. The top few can be scheduled and plans made and a solid itinerary drawn up. The list has already been started, let's continue to add to it.

Hopefully next year's meet will have more to offer. And more offerings = more people willing to make the trip = more SVXi and SVXers!

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Also, in my honest opinion, I think we need a woman to run it next year. It seems as though they're rather good at telling us what to do and the whole organizing thing..
Brett, that sounds like a cop-out to me.....

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Registered SVX

Tentative list of ideas for next Reading

1. Raffle
2. Scenic drive (I'd love to do the "covered bridge" tour)
3. Rally / Scavenger hunt
4. Photo shoot (maybe in a scenic location)
5. "Awards" ceremony
6. Dine and drive
7. Yuengling tour
8. Hershey Auto Museum tour
9. Drag racing
10. Mini-autoX
11. Dyno pulls
12. Tech sessions (just small stuff, like headlight cleaning, etc.)

Feel free to add to the list!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:

Just my two (or three) cents ...... BOTTOM LINE: Those that complain about the meet need to step up and help with the organization and conduct of the meet. If not willing to do so, then DON'T COMPLAIN .....

Harry
Couldn't agree more, which is why I feel I have earned the right to bit$h. Granted I'll never bit%h at anyone who does their part to keep the meet happening (thanks again John as I know you were instrumental in this years event and have always been the lead contact with the hotel in the past. There is that new thing called the internet which allows just about anybody to do some research into destinations, attractions etc from anywhere in the world. Hint... Hint Trevor and Joe

Now that the meet is again shrinking a group drive is again a possiblity without the hassles of 60 cars on public roads.

As for awards, Harry you've hit the nail on the head about the group voting.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
I had no idea we went for a drive, either meandering or to the museum this year. I would have been in for both!

The two sets of DIY hood strut repair hardware were part of my donation. That's something that pretty much everybody can use (except purists like Will who prefer $$OEM$$ ), and are about $10 of specific parts each. I hope that's not basement junk.

It is safe to say, though, that the selection was slimmer this year! Did we have an imbalance of new-to-Reading members who weren't aware of the raffle? Have the most generous donators from the past cut back, either from resources or from feeling taken for granted?

Now that I have a bit less subjesctive nature to my reading adventures, I will likely be willing to throw most of my stuff up for raffle next year... Realize, that I did indeed throw away a ton of SVX parts when I closed the shop because people wouldn't take them for free!

A concourse is a must, it must have prizes worth it though... This way people will even polish a turd! Again, I am willing to be a judge in this because quite frankly, I am not sure I will have an SVX by the next reading, so it will only take a bribe to swing my vote

Drives are good fun, but for many, they drove a hell of a lot to get there.... More driving seems a bit off of the top of the priority list.

Raffle needs to be tended to before hand... Sorry John, but there was no pumping up of the raffle this year. You won't always have big ticket items that are donated but still... This year was weak-sauce. I have shelves of parts, many new-in-box that a lot of you really want... If I cannot unload them, I will bring them next year to be given away. Someone needs to step up to the plate in a big way though... Most of you don't realize what a big deal getting the raffle together is like. Hell, when we raffled off the car it was one of the biggest undertakings I have gone through... But it was worth it ( not monetarily obviously). This reading was a smash and grab event. Many of the people like Hocrest, Ben, Melis, and myself who had planned a lot of the activities in the past just didn't have the time to put into it this year... I had hoped someone would pick it up in our absence but it just didn't happen... Don't give me that "I live too far away" BS either... Google maps is enough to plan a drive.... Send some emails to local places on interest to get information for a group gathering.... Start a raffle list early, make people commit to their donation, if they cannot make it, organize their donations to be picked up of shipped... Problem is, a lot of members just want to go, and leave... no strings attached and no work put into it.... Nothing will ever get done this way.

Reading is a labor of love, sometimes it takes months of stuff thats not fun in order to have a really great time

Tom
Old 04-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Is there any interest in the Covered bridge Tour as a Saturday activity for this Reading? The weather should be a lot better for enjoying the beautiful countryside and great photo ops.

Click HERE for the original post with maps and turn-by-turn directions.

Maybe we could do half the route then stop for something to eat, then continue the last half back to the hotel.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: