Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 04-29-2010, 03:08 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: building engines and turboing 2 svx's woot woot!

In fact, if it helps to grease the wheels, I have a 6-speed crossmember that I could lend you you could use as a template to make more of.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 AM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

What are your goals?
ours are: built engine with tuneable engine management and a turbo system capable of 18+psi and hoping for 400+AWHP and just crank it up from there, maybe run 110 octane and do some bigger numbers.
to sum it up the overall build will be something that is daily driveable and that we can turn up for the track and see the numbers. i personally can't ever get enough speed or power out of my internal combustion toys and really just want to see what this engine can do!
-cole
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM

Registered SVX

Mine would not need to be tunable, ecutune stage 2 ecu would suffice. 93 octane, and even if it only got up to like 250 whp that would make my day. If I wanted something that could make big numbers easy, I'd have a 240 like my brother. Basically, I want to turbo it without needing to build the engine and buying expensive engine management. Maybe in the future, but doubtful. Again, I have an engine that could be built if necessary. like 5-7 psi would probably get me where I want to go, and without having to lower the compression or build the bottom end.

Basically, my goal is non-built engine with a (single, intercooled) turbo pushing 5-7psi, in the range of 200-250 awhp. I want it to work well as a daily driver, since I've yet to make it to the track since I bought my svx. I don't really want to lose A/C or anything.

The closest thing would be Phil's initial system, as shown here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32280
If I were to try to make it up myself, that's what I would try to make. I think by moving the battery to the trunk that would make it easier to keep the A/C
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Last edited by icingdeath88; 04-29-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Like cole said well have to see what it takes to make ours, but my goal is to develop a sellable kit but my design that I have in mind should be pretty plug and play for any intercooler and single turbo and bov etc. After tomorrow we should know better.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

As far as your goals and keeping it low boost etc. My recommendation would still be to go with the hydra as apposed to the ecutune just because it leaves the door open for a later build and turbo upgrade, and on top of that if you get with big valley performance right there in tampa they can help dyno tune your svx where as a chipped ecu is limited to its initial map and the limits of your maf sensor. The kit I have kind of drawn out and plan to go over with cole tomorrow is similar to the way that phil (phast) ran his but we plan to cut more and possibly reenforce the frame with some other things while making it easier to run pipes. So ac will stay there and so will battery.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 PM

Registered SVX

I agree that the hydra would definitely be better, it's more a question of cost-effectiveness. The ecutune would only be $200 for me since I have the stage 1 already. And I really don't see going beyond those limits. If I did down the line then I could always add the Hydra then. It seems simpler to me that way. Keep me posted, as I am definitely interested.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

Ok so i've been doing some turbo calculations and i've been comparing the GT4088R to the GT3582R. the 35 series will provide faster spool up but not near the CFM of the 4088.
the flow charts are right in the center of the compressor efficency for both turbos.
here's the GT3582
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/...&product_id=42
And here's the 4088R
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/...&product_id=47

these numbers are based on a VE of 93% at 3800 RPM and 87% at 8200.
peak power is at 5500 and boost is max at 3800, target HP is 630.

What do you guys think? smaller frame for faster spool or larger frame for added CFM!?
both are pushing 23 PSI at 3800RPMs right off the bottom, granted different AR housing. the 3582R is turning 111000 rpms and is 78% of max duty.
82mm 56 trim .70 AR housing.

the 4088R is only 10000 RPMS and at 60% max duty, it's a 54 trim .72 AR and also is a divided housing versus the smaller T-3 single.
i lost myself on the last few lines

Ya if your wanting to stay in a budget and just do a small boosted setup then the ECUtune is fine for you. we have to ditch the maf because of the high CFM we're running. will keep you guys posted. i can pull the manifolds and have some flanges lasered out for the header design. i'm betting the "equal length" header design is going to be the hardest part!!

Last edited by superru; 04-30-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: ninja edit :)
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM

Registered SVX

Any idea what turbo would be more in line with my goals, but have the same flange and stuff to work with you guys' piping? You certainly seem to know your stuff, while I am very much new to the whole thing. Also, the part about the maf means that there would have to be at least some differences in my proposed setup. I was hoping for an exact duplicate as much as possible to make it easy on your end. Anyways, just try and keep me in the back of your mind while making your plans, to figure out just what all the options are.

Last edited by icingdeath88; 04-30-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

i think i'm going to start mine with the GT3582 which is a t-3 flange. so any t-3 turbo will fit it. plus the flange is not a hard part to change if you wanted to do something different. all the piping and bends are the same, you just need to change the flangos. IF we decide to do a 3rd set of piping i will let you know, and in the mean time decide what turbo fits your budget. check out some of the GT30 series, from garrett they are T-3 Flange. you can find some on ebay for around 500$ yo yo

just had a brain storm!.... why don't we take 3 equal length headers from the wrx. ( found on ebay for 70$ for a set.) take the 3rd set and use the piping and then just weld and extend and add the SVX flanges to them, that way all the mandrel bends are already done!! bling!

Last edited by superru; 05-01-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Wouldn't you feel performance drop and temperature increase when this happens? You can always stop and car and inspect it before anything breaks.

On the other hand I am not against one fuel pump, do not get me wrong, in fact I prefer one pump over two. Less complication I mean.
Your EGTs will go through the roof, but as a rule, no, you could not reasonably expect to react quick enough to the massive detonation that would occur at full boost if one of the pumps failed. You might get lucky and melt off a spark plug tip, which would cause a serious misfire, but that is about it. Strong forged pistons might last through this, but the bearings would likely sustain enough damage that they would either fail immediately, or in a relatively minimal number of miles after the event.

A more common practice is running meth injection. There is a reason why top manufacturers and experienced users run safety features on these kits. We have had customers loose their motors within a week of getting tuned on meth because they did not have active safety systems.

Depending on how lean the system runs when one of the fuel pumps fails you might get a loss in power, or you might get a slight gain momentarily, followed by a loss and things break.

Depending on how aggressively it is tuned, it is fair to say that anything greater than a .5 AFR lean out will lead to detonation on pump fuel. Assuming a low 11:1 AFR target while tuning you would not feel a loss of power until either the detonation became overwhelming, or you crossed above a 12.5:1 AFR.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:34 PM

Registered SVX

Taking notes guys? http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54403

Old 05-02-2010, 06:36 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

Johnny, what's the word on the oil supply we're using? a sandwitch block like the others? or while the engines are out tap one of the oil feed journals? have you totally bagged the idea of a twin setup? with the C-notch i've showed you i think i can fit 2 turbos under the hood and above the oil pan. what you think?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Have been looking more into the meth kit, looks pretty easy to fit in, but that's another 400 bucks. Also I'm thinking of a denso 300lph pump haven't run the numbers yet as far as what exactly well need.

Id like to keep single turbo just to simplify the plumbing, if we keep a similar route as svxtasy and phast we should be solid. The c notches will help as well also rotating and remounting the battery like I was tellin ya should give us plenty of space. As far as the headers I don't think they'll be that hard once we get an svx with a motor up on jack stands ill show ya more where id like to run the pipes. It shouldn't be all that bad.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 AM

Registered SVX

Pardon my ignorance, but what are C-notches?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 AM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

Basicily a C notch is where you remove some material from the frame in a "C" style and replace it with pipe or a bent peice of steel to maintain structual integrity. like this, http://image.streetrodderweb.com/f/t...ck_welding.jpg
although, instead of hand bending plate steel we would use pipe so it looks better and has the circular strength to keep the engine bay strong.
doing this allows us to run bigger pipes, and or pipes closer to the engine and to where we want them. keeping A/C and powersteering lines mostly stock.
that's where i was thinking about the twin turbo setup. i can C notch the rails next to the ABS system and the battery and put the turbos there.
even if i go single, we can run the piping much easier and the intercooler piping will be simple and short.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: