How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Registered SVX
Problems! Please help!

I have a small exhaust leak. It's quickly getting worse. Sounds like its the cat or the gaskets on the cat. Going to get it fixed in the next couple of days. I ran the codes for the ECU, and both O2 sensors came up. Does this mean they both went bad? Or is it just because of the exhaust leak? Will they need to be replaced? Also, would the leak also give me a significant loss in gas mileage? It's been really cold here and I let the car run about 5 min. or more before I take off anywhere. Usually go somewhere 3-5 times a day. I've went through 3/4 of a tank, and have only gone 110 miles.

The shifter lever has been acting up too. Sometimes, when I depress the brake and go to put it in gear, the button will not depress. So, I have to push the shift lever button to take it out of park. Then sometimes, it will work. When it does work, I push the brake in, and I here and feel a mechanical sounding click in the shifter lever. Then when I depress the button, I hear a loud electrical sounding click in the steering coulum. Any thoughts? Does some adjust need to be made? Where?

FYI- The shifter problem started right after I took my car to Tires Plus for new rubber and an alignment. Car has not been the same since I took it there. They said everything looks great though, including the brakes. Although I found one of my brakes/calipers to be hanging up. New caliper will be here today.

1995 Lexus SC400- Lexta Z
Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Problems! Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadedOne View Post
I have a small exhaust leak. It's quickly getting worse. Sounds like its the cat or the gaskets on the cat. Going to get it fixed in the next couple of days. I ran the codes for the ECU, and both O2 sensors came up. Does this mean they both went bad? Or is it just because of the exhaust leak? Will they need to be replaced? Also, would the leak also give me a significant loss in gas mileage? It's been really cold here and I let the car run about 5 min. or more before I take off anywhere. Usually go somewhere 3-5 times a day. I've went through 3/4 of a tank, and have only gone 110 miles.

The shifter lever has been acting up too. Sometimes, when I depress the brake and go to put it in gear, the button will not depress. So, I have to push the shift lever button to take it out of park. Then sometimes, it will work. When it does work, I push the brake in, and I here and feel a mechanical sounding click in the shifter lever. Then when I depress the button, I hear a loud electrical sounding click in the steering coulum. Any thoughts? Does some adjust need to be made? Where?

FYI- The shifter problem started right after I took my car to Tires Plus for new rubber and an alignment. Car has not been the same since I took it there. They said everything looks great though, including the brakes. Although I found one of my brakes/calipers to be hanging up. New caliper will be here today.
The shifter problem could be a bad brake switch, next time it does it (jams) have someone check to see of your brake lights are on while you have the pedal pressed. The clicking sound is the relays, which is normal.

As far as the exhaust, ours is luckily extremely easy to R&R so do the manifold gaskets first, clear codes, and then see what comes back.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Registered SVX

Would bad O2 sensors and/or the exhaust leak cause really the bad gas milage?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Would bad O2 sensors and/or the exhaust leak cause really the bad gas milage?
quite simply, yes... If there is an exhaust leak and extra "fresh" air is hitting the 02 sensors, they send a signal to the ECU saying that the motor is running "lean". In turn, the ECU sends signals to the injectors to put more fuel in. There's probably what is in fact happening. It can and will kill your gas mileage. Fix the leaky exhaust first, then clear the codes by unplugging your battery overnight and you may get lucky that the O2 sensors are fine but they are just seeing readings that are haywire so the ECU is signalling a code. Hope that helps explain it a little
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
The shifter problem could be a bad brake switch, next time it does it (jams) have someone check to see of your brake lights are on while you have the pedal pressed. The clicking sound is the relays, which is normal.
Checked it last night, and it's not the brake switch. I'm assuming it's the shift lock solenoid or the modual for it. Anyone know where to get those parts at?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Checked it last night, and it's not the brake switch. I'm assuming it's the shift lock solenoid or the modual for it. Anyone know where to get those parts at?
Used is probably your best and cheapest option. I may have one, but I'll have to do some looking

Edit: found it "shift lock unit" PN 88083PA010

PMing you now

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-04-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Edit: found it "shift lock unit" PN 88083PA010
Cost $97.89 + shipping at subaruparts.com in July of last year. "List" price was $141.87.

dcb
Old 03-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
You can bench test the solenoid once you get to it. - just apply 12 volts to it.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Cost $97.89 + shipping at subaruparts.com in July of last year. "List" price was $141.87.

dcb
It's now up to $108 and change plus shipping with a "list" price of $158 and change