Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Need some help from SVX PCM gurus

I'm attempting to start this EG33 in the WRX and I've run into a problem. I have spark(visually referenced) and I have fuel injector function(again visually inspected) yet the motor will not fire. Motor is in perfect time.

The SVX harness I'm using on the car was gutted/void of any component that I was not going to use, and is wired in on it's own relay/fuse system completely independent of the WRX PCM on the car.

From the main harness I deleted things like the TCM,, various dash stuff(tach signal, CEL light output, etc) etc, etc. The select monitor plug and diag port were also removed as I wasn't anticipating needed them for this time but I'm digging throuhg my back of clips to find and rewire them back in..

From the engine side of the harness i removed anything AC related, Fuel pump modulator/resistor(WRX pump works on it's own circuit), All emissions stuff(EGR, purge solenoid, Aux air control solenoid), recir gas temp, and power steering pressure sensor..

The self shutdown wire has been disabled and the original main relay has been rewired itno a relay block to distribute the necessary power.

JECS memory battery wire is hooked up.

I know it has nothing to do with the new wiring for the relays and power distribution as the PCM and all required sensors/injectors/coils are getting a proper 12 volt key-on signal.

This motor and PCM ran just fine when I removed it form the SVX(blown tranny/busted chassis claret )

does anyone have any ideas(solid ideas)?

Where exactly does the Black/Yellow wire go to?(Jecs computer clip B61, pin terminal #10). It's listed as a starter wire, with 10-14v signal on cranking. I have to determine if that's voltage in or voltage out.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Need some help from SVX PCM gurus

Not going to keep it from running entirely but need to know if you took note of the typo's in the FSM about coil wiring? There were a couple backwards pins that I had to figure out through a couple days of troubleshooting to get the Hydra to work properly.

Other thing... It doesn't fire at all... Or it won't stay running?

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Everything grounded correctly? Same question as YT - is it not starting at all or starting and not continuing to run?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

It will randomly spit one cylinder or two every now and then but refuses to start. Plugs are getting wet with fuel, I just replaced with a new set 5 minutes ago and no change in firing on the motor.

I wasn't aware that there was a typo in the FSM diagrams on that one page Could you please advise on the discrepancies? I didn't get into hacking up any of the harness that needed to stay, so whatever the wiring was from the factory for the coils it is still the same as that now.

I did see one error in the pinout listing for a wire off the VSS that was listed as a MAF signal wire.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Maniac modifier

If you didn't mess with the wiring for the coils then you are likely fine.

First things first, if you are getting spark and fuel... Your crank sensor is reading properly. Can you confirm all 6 cyl are getting spark? Or put an O-Scope on the cam angle sensor to make sure it is picking up

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

yes all six cylinders are getting spark and a fuel injector pulse. that's why it's so damn puzzling to me.

cam timing is dead on as well and comp/ld tests were right up in good readings for the cylinders.

kinda rules out a b ad ignitor and PCM if I'm gettign both coil and injector pulses, but doesn't sort out any order of them.

Is the SVX a waste spark setup for the coils?

coil clips are colored(blue, green, white IIRC) possible that I have the plug firing mixed up? which color goes to which cylidners(front to rear)???

I'm gonna go eat some damn turkey and get back to this in an hour.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Maniac modifier

EG33 is sequential fire and not waste spark.

At this point I would recommend checking two more sensors...

First- MAF, to make sure you are getting signal voltage out of it while cranking
Second- Cam angle sensor #2- This little bugger is right next to the crank angle sensor on the crankshaft. Basically this helps the ignition system divide the two groups of cylinders which should be firing. IF it were bad or the wires FUBARED it would throw a CEL, but since you nixed that you will need to check its function and the ECM and at the sensor with an O-scope while cranking. If you are breaking out the O-scope, you had might as well check for signal issues with the other two angle sensors while you are at it.

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

turkey is down, back to brain tangling wiring

Ok well sequential firing is good and bad news as it means that the spark firing could be all fubar and causing the no start issue, but also means sourcing a CAS if it's the culprit.

I do remember removing the CAS from the motor when cleaning the gunk off and remember the gray harness casing be rather hard/brittle so there's a chance that a wire cracked in the harness as well. Sure would be nice to have a diag plug on the harness (I am such a fricken moron for that move)

wonder if it's the same as a WRX part as I have a few of them kicking around

Tom did you see my other post in regards to the Select monitor and diag plugs stuff? (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52412)

Any input on that thread as I'm looking at a huge pile of SVX electrical connectors and would like to dig out the diags stuff and wire it back into the JECS comuter(i left pigtails so it's a cut/snip operation for the time being)

i'm two ticks away from just mega squirting this ***** again. should never have sold that crap, but then I never thought I'd be using this motor again.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Maniac modifier

The select monitor plug is yellow/orangish. 9 pin but does not use all of the open slots. It is a male connector with female pins.

The diag. connector is black(go figure) 10 pin connector. 6 pins on the bottom w/ on the top. Again, male connector w/ female pins.

If you can get the select monitor wiring done and get your hands on a select monitor, don't bother with the regular diag. plug.

I am going to say trouble shoot it old school w/ meters and don't waste your time w/ rewiring the diag connectors

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

tom any chance you could snap a picture of this select monitor plug and text it to my cell phone? I'll PM you the number

I dug through my bag of tricks and cannot find this plug in the pile so either A) i tossed it out on accident or worse B) put in in a place I wouldn't lose it for just this occasion and my brain is at major fault :lol

dusting off the o-scope..........

BTW.........good place to get a select monitor program for a laptop??????

thanks!
Old 11-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Maniac modifier

None of the select monitor programs were any good at pulling codes, just monitoring parameters

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Fawk, I forgot the scope is at my machine shop and I don't feel like heading there at the moment. Had to check some servos and steppers on the mills and left it there.

Does the JECS software have the ability to do a "key dance" or similar function that pulses the check engine light in a numerical sequence to display fault codes?

FSM diagrams show connector B62, pin #19 as the wire for the CEL in the dash, and states that the light On has 0-1 volts max and when it's OFF it has battery voltage 10-14v.....so I'm assuming that when the SVX cluster receives a voltage signal from the PCM it shuts the CEL off.

If above is the case I could wire in a dummy CEL and do the procedure to pull any codes present . It could at least point me in the the right direction.

Tom, thanks for the text BTW. At least I know I have that OBD1 plug as a last ditch resort if it's needed.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Maniac modifier

yea, let me take a look at the wiring diamgrams... If you apply gnd to one of the pins it will flash the CEL... Lemme look which one

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Maniac modifier

I am pretty sure it is the read memory pin... B61 term. 12... It should have +5v... ground it and you should be able to get the CEL terminal to flash

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

sick, I'm going to go make this bish dance and see what moves it's got!

thanks Tom