Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 PM

Registered SVX
Re: I shift into gear and it just...dies. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
In all of this it is assumed that no fault lights are illuminated when the car is running as normal.

Exactly which fault lights illuminate with the engine is not running and is this constant or blinking? Do they illuminate at turn on, or only after the engine has been running? The lights should provide a clue, but exact detail is required.
Kia ora Joel,

Your original post stated, “my dashboard lights up like a christmas tree”. An exact reply to the above previous post #8, will put things back on track.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM
SVXT6 Project

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Kia ora Joel,

Your original post stated, “my dashboard lights up like a christmas tree”. An exact reply to the above previous post #8, will put things back on track.

Trevor.
He already answered this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrenegade;
(7) Christmas tree is after it dies. The MAF is not a bad idea, I might try this. I have a little more info that might make this more likely or rule it out, I want to hear from you guys but let me answer all the questions first.
thanks for reading throughly before posting

Honda FT500 Ascot [Red]
Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
He already answered this -------- thanks for reading throughly before posting
It appears that always I must contend with sarcasm.

I again repeat my original exact question as per post *8 ---

“In all of this it is assumed that no fault lights are illuminated when the car is running as normal.

Exactly which fault lights illuminate with the engine is not running and is this constant or blinking? Do they illuminate at turn on, or only after the engine has been running? The lights should provide a clue, but exact detail is required.”

“Christmas tree” as a means of describing fault indication provides no real information. If the common “Christmas tree” situation applies, an alternator fault must form part of the problem.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
There are two temp sensors inside the cooler box, evap temp sensor and refrigerant temp sensor, pray this is the last time you hear of one.

A/C code 14/15 plagues my life. Replaced both in my SVX in 04. Got a code 14 few months back (evap temp). Evaporator must come out to replace them.

FML

Also, I second checking the coolant temp sensor, if it is out the failsafe makes the car run very poorly when not warmed up, and can cause a very difficult start in cold weather. Usually when this goes bad the ECU sees it and will illuminate the MIL and turn the cooling fans on HI. But this is only when it is so bad it is open or short. The sensor is easily acessed right there on the crossover pipe and is inexpensive, If I ever thought there was a problem with mine I would just replace the darn thing, since those things used to drop like flies on the first gen legacy, and it looks to be the same sensor to me.
The manual is a royal pain to read for someone who isn't already familiar with everything... It seemed like there were two sensors and it wasn't clear what they did. Since I had a rodent in the glove box and the manual wasn't at all clear on which did what, I went for that one first.

What page in what section would I look to replace the sensor you guys are pointing me to? The car is still running fine, but if there is a different sensor that I should just replace and it's cheap, well, let's get it done :-)

Joel