Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: How I see SVX World Network

Different strokes for different folks.

The system is designed for diversity, so people can read in what order they like, use what skins they like.

So Cal, you have just illuminated something that has irked me since we started this forum. I have mine set up in the Oldest First order, so I have to scroll down to the latest post[but I normally use the New Posts feature to check what threads have new replies] So I normally say things like "As discussed above in an earlier post"

I've often wondered how somebody can come into a thread, answer a point or ask a question, and I'm thinking "Why did he ask/say that? It was discussed about 5/10 posts back"

Now I know why.

It's obviously those with the Newest First option switched on. Want to say something, but too busy/can't be bothered to read the rest of the thread posters. This smacks of short little span of attention / don't respect other's opinion but I want you to hear mine to me.

I reckon that Trevor is seeing the same effect, I'm with him on this. Since the forums started I have never used the "Ignore posts from this member" feature out of innate respect for everybody. I think maybe I will shortly put it into action.

You can't be bothered, I can't be bothered. Life's too short.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

The system is designed for diversity, so people can read in what order they like, use what skins they like.

So Cal, you have just illuminated something that has irked me since we started this forum. I have mine set up in the Oldest First order, so I have to scroll down to the latest post[but I normally use the New Posts feature to check what threads have new replies] So I normally say things like "As discussed above in an earlier post"

I've often wondered how somebody can come into a thread, answer a point or ask a question, and I'm thinking "Why did he ask/say that? It was discussed about 5/10 posts back"

Now I know why.

It's obviously those with the Newest First option switched on. Want to say something, but too busy/can't be bothered to read the rest of the thread posters. This smacks of short little span of attention / don't respect other's opinion but I want you to hear mine to me.

I reckon that Trevor is seeing the same effect, I'm with him on this. Since the forums started I have never used the "Ignore posts from this member" feature out of innate respect for everybody. I think maybe I will shortly put it into action.

You can't be bothered, I can't be bothered. Life's too short.

Joe
Wait a minute Joe..... please do not turn this into an issue of lack of respect for other members.

If you DID read all the way through this thread, you will have noticed that ALL POSTS ARE READ, FROM BEGINNING OF THE THREAD TO THE END, and I choose to have the newest first simply to see NEWEST RESPONSES when I return, NOT to ignore the rest of the posts!!!!

This is simply a matter of preference, and as I stated from the very beginning, ALL POSTS ARE READ AT THE BEGINNING, and then for each response to those posts, I choose to have newer posts up top so I dont have to scroll all the way down to see them!

You may choose to put me on your "ignore" list if you wish, I just wanted to clarify the misunderstanding hopefully in time for you to see it.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 AM

Oldest first. Just seems logical to me. Who reads or writes from the bottom of a page, up, or the back of a book, forward?

That said, I do occasionally jump to the end of a thread to see where a discussion has lead. If it's still engaging I'll back-up to see what I've missed.

dcb
Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Wait a minute Joe..... please do not turn this into an issue of lack of respect for other members.

If you DID read all the way through this thread, you will have noticed that ALL POSTS ARE READ, FROM BEGINNING OF THE THREAD TO THE END, and I choose to have the newest first simply to see NEWEST RESPONSES when I return, NOT to ignore the rest of the posts!!!!

This is simply a matter of preference, and as I stated from the very beginning, ALL POSTS ARE READ AT THE BEGINNING, and then for each response to those posts, I choose to have newer posts up top so I dont have to scroll all the way down to see them!

You may choose to put me on your "ignore" list if you wish, I just wanted to clarify the misunderstanding hopefully in time for you to see it.

Chris

You totally misunderstood my last comment, but I can see now that was my fault, not yours.

The remark was meant to be a general remark, aimed only at those who are cavalier about answering quickly without being fully aware of what was discussed earlier in the threads.

I actually did read totally through the thread, understand what you say and how you personally are using the function, and I have zero problem with that. In fact of all the people who respond to problems on this forum, you are one of the most helpful and most technically astute on here and are to be praised for your grasp of problems, willingness to help and speed of response.

Please accept my abject apology for my careless and non specific use of English. But please also do understand that my last comment and the earlier remark in bold could never apply to you, and that was never my intention.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Chris

You totally misunderstood my last comment, but I can see now that was my fault, not yours.

The remark was meant to be a general remark, aimed only at those who are cavalier about answering quickly without being fully aware of what was discussed earlier in the threads.

I actually did read totally through the thread, understand what you say and how you personally are using the function, and I have zero problem with that. In fact of all the people who respond to problems on this forum, you are one of the most helpful and most technically astute on here and are to be praised for your grasp of problems, willingness to help and speed of response.

Please accept my abject apology for my careless and non specific use of English. But please also do understand that my last comment and the earlier remark in bold could never apply to you, and that was never my intention.

Joe
Ah, thank you for clearing that up Joe, I guess I did totally misunderstand you

I too find it irritating when someone responds with something that was already mentioned, or suggests an idea already covered by the OP because of failure to study the problem at hand.

And thank you kindly for your compliments! As far as your use of english goes, your sentence structure and spelling are far better than most of the people I live/work with here in CA

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Ah, thank you for clearing that up Joe, I guess I did totally misunderstand you

I too find it irritating when someone responds with something that was already mentioned, or suggests an idea already covered by the OP because of failure to study the problem at hand.

And thank you kindly for your compliments! As far as your use of english goes, your sentence structure and spelling are far better than most of the people I live/work with here in CA
Why thank you kindly dood.

I can has effing up the grammer too when i wantz.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Why thank you kindly dood.

I can has effing up the grammer too when i wantz.

NOW you're speaking Californian

Sadly I spend a lot of time at Newport Beach, and have had to temporarily reduce my IQ a few notches to understand what the hell some of these surfers are saying.

Weeeeed is a triiiiiiiiip, duuuuuuuuuude !!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Exactly !! Thats what ive been saying this whole time!

Someone read only the last post, then assumed they had the whole story
Thats like buying a book and reading only the last page!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 09-17-2009, 11:59 PM

I used to come onto the forum every morning, now only once or twice a week. Not that I'm any less interested, but (fingers crossed) I have pretty well sorted out my car, know what needs to be done (when I can afford it,) and find that many of the posts are rehashes of things that came before.
I read the oldest posts first, for exactly the reason Trevor stated, without seeing where it came from, you don't know where it's going. And yes, as someone who pushes words around for a living, I appreciate posters who use proper (either U.S. or the Queen's) English and know what a spell checker is.
Finally, the "cash for clunkers" program was only about oil consumption in a minor way. It was really about re-starting the auto industry, and it seems to have done a little of that.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Hi Paul,

Good to see you are keeping an eye on us!! I hope you have been keeping well.

It's probably the case that the OP may not have been 100% serious about the comparison, hence not 100% accurate with the economics. Or maybe not!

Your point about stimulating the auto industry is surely correct, and the main reason you would spend such a sum, not purely for getting old cars off the roads.

Just as an observation from outside the States we don't have an auto manufacturing industry here in Ireland, all cars are imported, but you do have one in the USA. With that in mind while the country is under threat from economic stresses it's my belief that for the next three to five years you guys should actually put patriotism to the forefront and Buy American. Protect jobs. Keep American money in the American economy. Advocates of Free Trade will probably be aghast to hear me say that, but to hell with them, I don't hear much about them offering people jobs.

JF Kennedy said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". Granted he was a Democrat, so a lot of bodies on here might dismiss his remark just because of that fact.

When the chips are down, true patriotism is about supporting your country and supporting your fellow Americans, not about how good you are at field stripping an AR-15!

Buy American.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
JF Kennedy said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". Granted he was a Democrat, so a lot of bodies on here might dismiss his remark just because of that fact.

Joe
He was a Democrat, but a much different one. Now most of the Democrats have a much different saying -

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you".

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 09-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
He was a Democrat, but a much different one. Now most of the Democrats have a much different saying -

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you".
Q.E.D.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the good words. Always good to hear from you. These days, when I get a writing assignment (and since I write about cars, as the auto industry goes, so goes my income) I have been pushing domestic vehicles. I am particularly pleased that thanks to some foresight on Alan Mullaly's part, Ford is in the best position of the domestics these days. GM needed to loose a lot of weight, and while I (slightly) mourn the loss of Pontiac, the four brands left under the GM logo are the stronger for it. I have driven some of the products of the "new GM," and the main thing they suffer from is lack of public confidence. I took a new Malibu to Monterey last year, and was impressed with a smooth, agile, comfortable sedan that got me 29 miles to each of our little gallons on a 700 mile round trip. A Cadillac CTS with the direct injection engine and a 6-speed manual was equally impressive, feeling like a BMW on the road with a price tag thousands less. As for Chrysler, the most recent products I have spent some time with were merely adequate, showing where the disastrous "collaboration" with Mercedes had short-changed the company's products. I see nothing but good for them in the collaboration with Fiat. Fiat and Chrysler is a good fit, each can use the other's strong points, while the takeover by Mercedes was just to satisfy the then chairman's ego.
So yes, we should buy American, and we will shortly have a lot of good reasons for doing so.
As for the political side of things, for the first 12 years of my life, I didn't realize that there could be anyone but FDR as president, and that time has colored my political beliefs ever since.
Joe, keep in touch, you have my e-mail.
Paul
Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Howdy Paul.

I sincerely hope the industry picks up, not just for your benefit although that's important , but for the general good of the economy.

If you look at the auto industry world wide in a more holistic fashion, it becomes obvious that European made cars and Japanese cars [and increasingly Korean cars!] selling into Europe are more technically advanced than OEM American autos. This is not coincidence or any unbridgeable technical superiority in engineering or know how. It is primarily down to the regulations applied at EC level combined with punitive taxation in individual countries that mitigate against big heavy-consumption cars. To have a chance at selling into these markets the cars have to be able to drive all week on the smell of a spoonful of diesel.

Your US manufacturers are home focused for sales, they do not sell world wide, so for the most part [Chrysler excepted] they are not driven by European legislation or tax.

So if they are losing market share internally to better product from Japan and Europe, you could rightfully blame them for not reacting to the competition. However, a major part of the blame for old style technology and old style economy in today's US cars [live back axle in a 2009 Mustang?] lies with the government in not enforcing overall improvement and with the buyers who up to the recent gas price increases bought huge useless pickup trucks instead of economical cars for transportation.

The merger with Fiat is innovative and will be good for both sides, so I do agree with you there. Fiat diesel engines are truly marvelous, used smartly in good US chassis you guys will have some very decent cars coming on the market soon.

If all this stress doesn't kill us, it'll make us stronger. You must have a few years on me, I don't remember FDR. It will be nice if the present New Deal does gain its own momentum without the need for another Pearl Harbor to boost its chances.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 09-20-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Hi Joe,
I guess I do have a year or two on you, I was 12 when FDR died. Anyway, I still think the live rear axle in the Mustang is a bad idea, but in the past, Ford had been particularly unreceptive to improved ideas, feeling that so long as they made it, people would buy it. The current Focus is a good case in point. The Focus we get is a rework of the previous generation, not the completely new car you get. It was done for two reasons. One, Ford marketing assumed that there was no real market in the U.S. for an upscale compact car, and two, they thought it would be cheaper to rework the existing model than to "Americanize" (horrible word) the new one. Well, they didn't miss the boat as badly as they did with the Edsel, but the market changed, and the costs rose, so they ended up with a less good car for almost the same as it would have cost them to bring the good one to market. According to Alan Mullaly, they aren't going to do that any more. Going forward, Ford models will be international in scope across the range. They're even talking about bringing the Ka into the States. However, in a market in which every hint of government regulation is screamed at by the right as "socialism," it is difficult to imagine some of the restrictions that exist for European manufacturers. Supposedly, we live or die by the free market, which is mighty fickle.
I hope this makes some sense, it was 104 degrees here today, and promises to be hotter tomorrow, and I don't do heat well. Where I live, we have these really hot, really dry (5% humidity) days in early fall, then usually a huge brush fire, and then the rains come and the mudslides begin.
Peace,
Paul