Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Social Security

Heres the deal guys I am getting a social security check from my mothers passing and I want to spend part of it on a car. the thing is i'm going off to college and need a mildly useful car. I can either take about five grand and get some suspension, brakes, and/or transmission upgrades for my svx, or buy a used car with that money and the money i get from selling the svx. I love this car just the svx seems impractical especially because it is such a hog with gas. I need you guys to convince me to spend my money on the svx rather than buying a more practical/fuel economic car with the money. help me out guys
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Social Security

Spend the money on the SVX! Is that good enough
Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I'd save it for books to be honest.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Keep the SVX, but put the money in the bank so that it is available when your SVX needs something repaired.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-08-2009, 07:52 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Keep the SVX, but put the money in the bank so that it is available when your SVX needs something repaired.
Ding ding ding we have a winner.

I always keep $500 in a separate bank account just in case something happens to the car.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Well that's what i'm afraid of it seems like the svx is bad with everything except being unique and "looking sporty" and it tears me up inside because this is the car i grew up in.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbstcg View Post
Well that's what i'm afraid of it seems like the svx is bad with everything except being unique and "looking sporty" and it tears me up inside because this is the car i grew up in.
It is just as bad as any other POS from 1992... Its an older car, it requires an older budget to maintain properly.

Tom
Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbstcg View Post
People underestimate the value of driving a known commodity: You know what's been done to the car, and thus what it's likely to need. Buy some other used something and who knows what you're going to get? As Tom posted, ANY older car requires maintenance.

What kind of "suspension, brakes, and/or transmission upgrades" are you thinking are going to cost you five grand? If the car is basically sound, spend what you need to keep it reliable and set aside funds for future work as required.

dcb
Old 08-09-2009, 10:56 AM

I don't know it'll be a little while till i get the money so i can think for a while on what i want, and as far as the upgrades i want something i can play around with and make fun to drive so i was thinking 5 spd, svx files brake kit, coil overs, lighter wheels, nice tires, and maybe sway bars if can get a hold of them. The thing that even got me thinking was the fact my friend is selling his Mazda Miata for a fair price, i know what you guys will say im complaining about practicality and I'm looking into a matchbox with wheels lol, but in my defense the miata get 30 mpg highway and around 23 in city, with dirt cheap performance upgrades.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 AM

If finances and fuel costs are an issue you probably should bag the "performance" goods and focus on keeping the car healthy and happy. That will cost you quite enough, no matter what you're driving.

dcb
Old 08-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
People underestimate the value of driving a known commodity: You know what's been done to the car, and thus what it's likely to need. Buy some other used something and who knows what you're going to get?

dcb
+1 on that

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

How is the SVX a "gas hog"? 20-25 mpg average? If you don't abuse it? You aren't going to get something spectacularly better than that. Sure you could blow 5-8k and get something that does 30-35mpg, but it would be much more efficient to use that money for fuel in the SVX. As much more as you'd spend in fuel in the SVX, it would take years upon years to recoup that money driving your more fuel efficient vehicle.

Just doing some quick math, it would take you over 6 years to recoup the cost of fuel for spending 5k on a vehicle that gets 35mpg, using 20mpg for hte svx and current fuel prices. And that vehicle is going to be rather uninteresting, you're more likely to get bored of it, swap around cost you extra cash in the process, trying to find something you like. And you'll hever have the on road performance of the svx if you are trying to get fuel economy, so there goes your thrill factor. And every time you buy a car you are inheriting other people's problems, like someone said before. you already know what's wrong with your svx, and what's been done.

So the "fuel economy" factor, is a load of hoey. People seem to think that increased mpg will save them all sorts of money, somehow forgetting that htey're spending thousands to get that, meaning they have to continue driving it for quite some time before the see a dime of profit.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

Also, I get 13mpg mixed city/highway, on a good day, on fuel that is more expensive than yours. The SVX is anything but a gas hog.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Also, I get 13mpg mixed city/highway, on a good day, on fuel that is more expensive than yours. The SVX is anything but a gas hog.
Hey, diesels cheaper than regular by me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: