Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods

Old 04-25-2009, 09:57 AM

installed A-pillar double gauge pod (a couple pictures inside)

Well, I got a wild hair to install some gauges that I've had laying around for a while last weekened and I just thought I'd show you folks. The gauges are a Stewart-Warner Tranny temp gauge, and an AEM UEGO wideband air/fuel ratio gauge. It should be obvious why I installed a tranny temp gauge, and the WBo2, well it's just been sitting around, and I've wanted to get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and see if I can turn up the fuel a bit and possibly make more power. I'd also like to turbocharge the car (sooner or later) and I figured that getting a handle on A/F readings before and after would be a good thing.

Anyway, here's a couple pictures.

First, just a mock-up. Nothing attached, just set them there to see if it would look out of place. Also, please excuse my sub-par quality cellphone pictures.

Finally all hooked up.

And a close up.

One more I took the other night. Kinde blurry but you get the idea.

The wideband was a bear to put in, lol. Drilled a new hole in the exhaust, welded in the bung, ran all the wires, drilled the a-pillar out, blah blah blah. It was a lot of work for both, actually, and I wanted to keep the install as clean as I could. So, with what I had to use, I'd say this turned out fine. Next I just need to find some black screws though, cause the silver ones I used just kinda stand out. I want it to look like it just belongs there.

Also, the wideband is confirming that this motor is taking in more air than it knows what to do with. lol Cruising around AFR is usually between 14.5-15.0 which is fine, but go to WOT, and it rarely goes under 13.5. I know it's just an N/A car, but that just seems a bit too lean on 10:1 compression. Anyway, so one of the next projects is the ECUtune 2v7, and an FPR and then we'll see how it looks. I just want adjustability for when I get around to going to forced induction.

So, that's what I have so far!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 04-25-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: installed A-pillar double gauge pod (a couple pictures inside)

How accurate is the tranny temp gauge? Also I would paint the gauge mount as close to the stock interior so it doesn't look so out of place being black, but it looks good.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-25-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
How accurate is the tranny temp gauge? Also I would paint the gauge mount as close to the stock interior so it doesn't look so out of place being black, but it looks good.

Yes, that is on my "to-do" list as well. I would like it to be stock interior color. But I did want to just make sure it all worked too. And frankly, the tranny temp gauge isn't working. I think I need to ground the sender or something, because its not sending a signal to the gauge. Hopefully I can get to that tomorrow afternoon.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Not bad, I agree about the stock interior color painting to make it match better. The different light colors throw me off a bit, but I'm one of those anal ones that's changing the entire interior colors to blue but all in all not bad.

I wonder if having the wideband sensor with a hydra the afr gauge would be easy to set up? dammit now I'm reconsidering spending the extra cash for that.... where did your route the wires specifically????
Old 04-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I have that wideband too. It really is a great tool. I still have it installed in my car even though I run the Hydra wideband now. I need to pull my RH 02 sensor and just have both widebands running.

Tom
Old 04-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Johnybeas: I mounted the sensor right at the front of my cat-back exhaust. Usually, you want to keep them at least 30" away from the motor, so the sensors last longer. Too much heat will burn these up quicker than it would a normal o2 sensor. Other than that, you can really place the sensor itself wherever you like in the exhaust, just make sure there are no leaks. The next part was the biggest pain though. You need to mount the sensor at least 10* above horizontal, and there is no room for that on the exhaust without doing some cutting...lol So, I dropped the exhaust, drilled a hole in it just offset center of the top, cut a hole in the heat-shielding, and made sure it wouldn't hit the driveshaft, then welded everything up and tied the wires off to the side so they wouldn't hit the driveshaft. The wires I just ran through the grommet right by the master cylinder.

Aside from that, this WBo2 had VERY easy setup and wiring. The most wires you need to splice are 4, and that's if you're doing data-logging and have a serial input. So, all I needed to wire was power and ground. Everything else was setup, wired, loomed, and calibrated out of the box. I would really recommend this gauge to anyone looking for an affordable wideband sensor. I bought this one about a year ago, but even then on ebay it was still only like $260 or so, I forget exactly.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

crap, welding... still not a master welder... and no longer have access to a welding tool.

hmmm... tom does the wideband for the hydra come with a gauge? or are you only able to read the afr on laptop?