Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Re: Headed to VIR June 13,14

Anyone have any input on tire pressures?

Back in the day we used to run 31 ft 33 rr (hot lap temps) but those where on rwd cars.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

The SVX is a heavy car and you want to be very careful about rolling over the sidewalls. With ultra high performance summer tires, you want to see a hot tire pressure in the low 40's. The rears should be 3-4 lbs less. Usually your cold to hot pressure rise will be 5 to 6 lbs front and a little less on the rear. Suggest you try the white shoe polish tool. Paint a couple of stripes of white shoe polish on each tire, running from the tread up the sidewall to the wheel. After you come in from each run, see how far up the sidewall the shoe polish is scrubbed off. If it's scrubbing up the sidewall put in more air.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
I have a dot 4+ fluid in there..I was hoping for it to hold up...u dont think it will? where do you suggest getting the blue from?

Got a 5 speed. Tires are Firestone wide ovals 225/40/18. sitting on coil overs, and cooled by pwr rad.
Eric,
I don't think there has been enough emphasis on the brake fluid. It is a MUST to completely change the brake fluid within six months of running a track event - and with a good high temp fluid. You need one that boils at over 500 degrees, nothing less. Different people like different brands, but read the label about the boiling point ...... One does not need the brakes to fade going into a turn at 100 MPH. Remember too that VIR has a mile straight you'll be on ....

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 06-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post
Eric,
I don't think there has been enough emphasis on the brake fluid. It is a MUST to completely change the brake fluid within six months of running a track event - and with a good high temp fluid. You need one that boils at over 500 degrees, nothing less. Different people like different brands, but read the label about the boiling point ...... One does not need the brakes to fade going into a turn at 100 MPH. Remember too that VIR has a mile straight you'll be on ....

Harry
At least he'll have more engine braking with the 5-speed....which does help save the brakes (or does for me anyway...)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-02-2009, 11:33 AM
word words wording

I think ill be okay as far as brakes. we plan on bleeding them after every session. I have some race track experience (crew cheif) ill notice when the brakes start to fade. Im not pro enough to put the expensive crap in.

guess ill start around 37 psi in front and 39 psi in rear and paint a white mustache on my tires.

starting to get butterflys

got the red stuff on the front and green stuff on the rear if anyone wants to know...guess well see how it goes.

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

One more thing. Tape over your license plates. Have heard rumors that insurance companies have been known to take pics at the track, to build their database for possible denial of future claims. At my last NASA track session, we were advised by the NASA staff to tape over the plates .

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 AM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
One more thing. Tape over your license plates. Have heard rumors that insurance companies have been known to take pics at the track, to build their database for possible denial of future claims. At my last NASA track session, we were advised by the NASA staff to tape over the plates .
Good to know...I had planned on taking off the front one, and bracket for airflow...guess ill just pop both of them off.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM
word words wording

WOW! that was the most fun I had since the first jet ski ride in the ocean.

It was a great experience! Each and everyone of you suck for not being there.... Its not easy being the only SVX around and having everyone asking you the same stupid questions.

what is that?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
WOW! that was the most fun I had since the first jet ski ride in the ocean.

It was a great experience! Each and everyone of you suck for not being there.... Its not easy being the only SVX around and having everyone asking you the same stupid questions.

what is that?
It is a blast. i would like to hit a road course at least once this summer. if you have ideas on when you want to go again, I might tag along and make people ask "WTF!!?!!? is that up my ass!?!?"

Tom
Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
It is a blast. i would like to hit a road course at least once this summer. if you have ideas on when you want to go again, I might tag along and make people ask "WTF!!?!!? is that up my ass!?!?"

Tom
I thought about going again in august..but since our cars are so friggen heavy Im realllly considering a 95-99 legacy with SVX motor swap before going back. The SVX was competitive but in anything higher than intermediate class it would be difficult to keep up.

I got spanked hard by a 240 with flames shooting out of its exhaust.

honestly i got spanked by everything the first day.

On a happy note, my last run..i passed a vette,charger (twice cause I pitted to check for damage),couple miatas, bimmer, and a mini cooper...spanked or stayed ahead of everyone in my group.

When your in the groove hitting all of your braking points and turn in points...110+mph on the straights... all 4 wheels controlled drifting through the "S"-turns at over 80 mph slammin apex's...its an in-describable feeling.

pics should be here tomorrow.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Maniac modifier

Yea, it was a trip to be able to do things like that at those speeds. Talk to Shotgunslade, he has been able to keep up with a lot of competative cars in his mostly stock SVX... From what he has been able to share with me it is speed through the turns and acceleration from them that will keep you out in front. Oh and a heavy car is no excuse... It just needs to have more power to push that sled

Tom
Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 PM
word words wording

I would need a supercharger...inter-cooled. And the nemisis, the things SVX dreams are made of ...still gotta hack off at least 200 pounds somehow. definalty more..

hmmm doing research..benebob? hocrest? cars down to 2700 pounds? is that true?

Last edited by SomethingElse; 06-16-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Welcome. You're hooked. Going to NJ Motorsports Park this weekend. Taking the roadster, not the SVX. Been to the track not nearly enough this past year due to car woes. Overheating SVX and breaking roadster.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 AM
word words wording

Thanks! I am hooked and way behind.

I didnt overheat thankfully but I did have coolant underneath where my battery tray should have been. It was not coming from the hose or the top of the coolant jug...where did it come from?

Old 06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Probably boiling inside the block blows coolant out the top of the overflow tank. That's what mine does.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: