Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 02-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SCCA classing question, 5 speed maual SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
You're just going by your own personal driving skills Wally.

I think it can be very competitive in GS and to some extent FP (very competitive if you wanna throw the $50k into it at that level). Problem is that most course designers are ride of the month members which tend to be small manuverable cars. If you get a Dinopony course designer and a damp day there is nothiing in GS that can keep up with it.
Ben, Ben, Ben....when was the last time you actually drove in an autoX event? I'm guessing it's been even more time for your than me

I agree on the course design and what type of car it is biased for. Unfortunately, the majority of course designs tend to favor the Minis in GS. We just don't have the hp to keep up with the Camaros and Mustangs in ESP. I also agree that perhaps an SVX could be competitive in FP. One of us just has to win the Lottery so we can find out for sure.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Settle down boys

I have an opportunity to trial fit a set of 275/40-17 V710's here in the near future. They are on "dinopony" wheels (17x9). I am not expecting them to fit due to offset but I can get a set of 17x8.5 48mm offset wheels to mount these upon. Would they fit in the wheel wells with no modification?

Todd
Old 02-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Ben, Ben, Ben....when was the last time you actually drove in an autoX event? I'm guessing it's been even more time for your than me

I agree on the course design and what type of car it is biased for. Unfortunately, the majority of course designs tend to favor the Minis in GS. We just don't have the hp to keep up with the Camaros and Mustangs in ESP. I also agree that perhaps an SVX could be competitive in FP. One of us just has to win the Lottery so we can find out for sure.
-Bill
Autox, I'm so over standing in a parking lot all day without a beer but as I've said plenty of times, once you show that you might provide a little real competition (within a second) based on common runners, then I might find the time to come back out so you can check out the sponsors on the rear of the car.

ESP the SVX isn't in that class. You just choose to run there locally and since you're not comp. no one cares.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Autox, I'm so over standing in a parking lot all day without a beer but as I've said plenty of times, once you show that you might provide a little real competition (within a second) based on common runners, then I might find the time to come back out so you can check out the sponsors on the rear of the car.

ESP the SVX isn't in that class. You just choose to run there locally and since you're not comp. no one cares.
I would still like to see if you or Dave can keep up with me... BUT you guys NEVER bring the car out. When was the last time that thing was even started?? DO NOT SAY the last time it was at the shop either

Tom
Old 02-15-2009, 02:21 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I'd love to try an AUTOX if it were close enough
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I would still like to see if you or Dave can keep up with me... BUT you guys NEVER bring the car out. When was the last time that thing was even started?? DO NOT SAY the last time it was at the shop either

Tom
Keep up with you? My F-250 would be able to do that if only they'd let me run it

Last time I started it was at Reading.

Reading 2 years ago, that is!

As I've said before, if it isn't used this year I'm fully ready to pass it on to someone who has the time and energy to race it where a fully prepared car belongs (which isn't at your local strip mall parking lot)
Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
Settle down boys

I have an opportunity to trial fit a set of 275/40-17 V710's here in the near future. They are on "dinopony" wheels (17x9). I am not expecting them to fit due to offset but I can get a set of 17x8.5 48mm offset wheels to mount these upon. Would they fit in the wheel wells with no modification?

Todd
Todd,
I've been running 275/40-16 on my mesh rims (mustang) rims for a couple of years now. I did cut up the front and back wheel wells to ensure that they'd fit. You might be able to get the 17" to fit in the front with the camber/caster plates (i.e., with major neg camber), but I have my doubts about the rear wheels since we are currently limited to ~ neg 1.5 degrees with aftermarket camber bolts.
-Bill
p.s. you know that Ben and I are just messing

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

What, that I'm one of your sponsors? But of course I am

Yeah, but the best drivers in the D.C./Penn/N.J. area have been in the ESP class up until Strano moved to FS, so the opportunity to pick other's brains was greatest in ESP. I'm sticking with FP from now on.

-Bill

My Locker
Old 02-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Todd,
I've been running 275/40-16 on my mesh rims (mustang) rims for a couple of years now. I did cut up the front and back wheel wells to ensure that they'd fit. You might be able to get the 17" to fit in the front with the camber/caster plates (i.e., with major neg camber), but I have my doubts about the rear wheels since we are currently limited to ~ neg 1.5 degrees with aftermarket camber bolts.
-Bill
p.s. you know that Ben and I are just messing
Yup, I know Bill

Thanks for the input. I hope to try some on the Mustang rims in the next week or so. If they look like they'll fit, I plan on buying them, selling the Mustang wheels and getting them on my old Rota's. If they require major surgery I'll pass on them.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Todd,
Just an FYI....my 295s are mounted on Cobra 17x9 rims...I've done a quick fit of one rear wheel and it looks like they're good. (again with the modified wheel well )
-Bill

My Locker
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
Yup, I know Bill

Thanks for the input. I hope to try some on the Mustang rims in the next week or so. If they look like they'll fit, I plan on buying them, selling the Mustang wheels and getting them on my old Rota's. If they require major surgery I'll pass on them.
I know the fox body stang rims will fit just fine as that is what we had made. Just pushed out another inch rather than splitting the difference.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Ben,
Did you end up going with 4" backspacing on the 10" wide rims?
-Bill

My Locker
Old 02-28-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Ben,
Did you end up going with 4" backspacing on the 10" wide rims?
-Bill

Not a clue anymore. Do a search, I posted it 3 years ago
Old 02-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Not a clue anymore. Do a search, I posted it 3 years ago...the last time we actually drove it
fixored

Tom
Old 02-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Banned

Question Lap times.

I was going to try and race my SVX but could never find any lap times. Since I'm parting out my SVX I thought I should share the research I did based on a similar car, the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart AWD with 232hp at 3,465 lbs that was .1 seconds faster than the 2004 GTI on the Streets of Willow:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track81.html

and the 07 BMW 525xi with 215hp at 3,520 lbs which was equal to an 04 Audi TT and 03 Audi S4:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...e&filter4=true

I also found the following cars to have slower lap times than the GTI on the Nordshliefe which was inspiring:
96 Boxster, 04 Cooper S works, 90 Esprit SE.

What was even more amazing was the GTI was faster than the Audi R8 and many other exotics on a wet track:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track59.html

Just curious if there are any comparable lap times for the SVX out there?

Last edited by LindasSVX; 02-28-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: