Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
I hate unknown noises...

Help Toms!!

Haha. I have a noise coming from the front end of the car, sounds drive-line related.

First, how I believe it happened. I was in a cobblestone intersection going straight, and got cut-off bad. Bad enough to get the ABS to kick in. I heard a thump from what seemed to be the top-hat on the passenger side.

Since then my car has been making a noise when rolling. It doesn't do it any worse when accelerating, nor does it go away when braking. It's certainly speed related, as it gets faster and louder at higher speeds, regardless of engine load.

It sounds like a ticking. A little deeper than a lifter tick actually. The best way I can think of describing it is when you were a child, if you ever put playing cards in the spokes of your bicycle... this sounds VERY similar. Comes from what seems to be front passenger side of vehicle. Turning in either direction doesn't seem to change the intensity or duration.

I have been underneath the car looking around. My first guess was a loose tie-rod, as its definitely a vibration. I've looked around, and moved everything hoping to find something loose. But no luck. I just wish I could get under the car while it's moving...

Any idea's guys? I've checked tie-rod connections, sway bar connections, CV axles, and a-arm bushings. I'm at a loss. She's my DD, and my only car, so I gotta get this figured out. I have work on Sunday.

-Craig

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 01-23-2009, 02:53 PM

Re: I hate unknown noises...

Maybe get it on jackstands and turn each individual wheel?
Keith
Old 01-23-2009, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

I could try it... problem is I can't really get it on stands unless I take it somewhere, my entire driveway has quite the slope to it. I can only get one wheel up at a time on a jack.

I'll see if I can find somewhere/someone with stands tomorrow.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Would you describe the sound as a baseball card hitting a bicycle wheel?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-23-2009, 04:40 PM

I don't suppose it could be a wheel trim could it?
I have found some funny noises coming out fo them before after the car has had a bump. Pull them off and test it.
Might as well do the simple things first.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Sounds like you're low on blinker fluid.

So the tick is a constant speed and noise is what you're saying regardless of speed. Is it there in reverse? Is it there when idling?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Sounds like you're low on blinker fluid
haha lol i ran out of blinker fluid can i use brake light oil or antenna syrup?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1call View Post
I don't suppose it could be a wheel trim could it?
I have found some funny noises coming out fo them before after the car has had a bump. Pull them off and test it.
Might as well do the simple things first.

Actually on that side, the wheel well plastic did come out earlier and got caught on the wheel. This was the first thing I checked - the zip-ties are holding strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Would you describe the sound as a baseball card hitting a bicycle wheel?
Kind of... but we used to put normal playing cards in our spokes and it was a little closer to that because it's not constant... as in, if it was rubbing a tire, it would be a constant whir, where as this is "tick.Tick.Tick" etc. Very fast when going 45+ and considerably slower at 10MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Sounds like you're low on blinker fluid.

So the tick is a constant speed and noise is what you're saying regardless of speed. Is it there in reverse? Is it there when idling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
haha lol i ran out of blinker fluid can i use brake light oil or antenna syrup?
Blinker fluid?! I thought the transmission was on backwards and I was out of headlight fluid! No wonder I'm confused!

I do not notice it in reverse, but I haven't driven down the street checking it either. I'll let you know.

It does not do it idling, nor does it do it when I just free rev it.

I'm still stumped. And on top of it all, I have a pretty bad cold/ I think it's a 24hr virus. Because I woke up with it, and my friend had a similar cold but a few days ago...

Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Sir I believe, of course could be wrong, your front diff is on its way out. Mine had that same noise right before it went out. The ticking only occurs when moving? Sorry to bring bad news.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Sir I believe, of course could be wrong, your front diff is on its way out. Mine had that same noise right before it went out. The ticking only occurs when moving? Sorry to bring bad news.

Yes, it does only do it when moving.

Oh man that sucks. How was the noise compared to a CV axle? Because this doesn't sound anything like the "grinding" of a CV, and I would imagine a diff going out, being metal on metal, would sound like a CV in a way.

This sound sounds more like plastic on metal, as said, with the playing cards... Yes I know playing cards are paper, not plastic.

If the Diff IS going out, is there a way for me to check it/verify it? I don't know much about diff failure... is it going to make noise for a while, then the car won't move? Or will it just get noisier and noisier till I change it?

I am planning the 5spd swap for a few months down the road... but I've been saying that for a year.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

That is the sound mine made right before the teetrh started the break. I called.OT. And him YT confired before the teeth sheared it was my front diff. The noise could only be heard when in gear not in nuetral. Only when the car is moving. You will know when it goes there will be a horrible clunk and you will know

Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 PM

Aw man, not good.

Anyone else able to weigh in on the failure process of this? Is it catastrophic, ie, I'm stranded somewhere, or does the noise just get so bad it's not bearable?

Old 01-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I have a clicking noise but it's my front axles
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

check your front diff oil... Also think about draining the front diff oil to see if there are any signs of excessive metal shavings...

The sound is the pinion beaing (if it is the front diff). Basically more often than not this is all caused by two possible things.

- The diff was run dry (out of oil)
- The pinion seals that seal the transmission fluid from the diff fluid are leaking and allowing ATF to get into the gear oil and overfill the diff as well as exposed the front diff to a lower viscosity oil and increase wear.

Check your axles first though

Tom
Old 01-24-2009, 06:25 PM

Well no despite the symptoms, the circumstances wouldn't suggest out of oil or broken diff in my opinion.

I'd be looking for something that could have been caused by hard braking.... and that isn't broken teeth. Have you had the wheels off and checked there isn't anything rubbing against the brake rotor's cooling fins?

"sounds more like plastic on metal"... something in the wheel trim?

Last edited by log1call; 01-24-2009 at 07:15 PM.