Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 AM
The Molinator

RADAR in California

I think this is a technical QuEsTiOn. . ? I just got a speeding ticket (53 in a 40 zone). I have a great radar detector! I saw the motorcycle cop parked first in line, perpendicular to my street. Therefore, I saw him attempt to aim his radar gun at me quickly as I came by.. . BUT, I never got a beep from my detector (Valentine One)! I think he may have NOT got me with the radar gun, but he did show me a reading of 52 on his motorcycle-mounted radar gun (when I asked why he wrote the citation for 53 he shrugged his shoulders..? A little wierd!). The speed limit had been changed last April because of construction (not going on now) from 50 mph to 40 mph!

The big question is.. . Do they have a new radar band technology that is being utilized in my area (Fresno, CA) that you know of.. that would not be detected by the Valentine One..??? If not, I really wonder if this cop GOT me.. . or showed me a reading from a previous "clocking" (of another vehicle) .. or maybe he missed me and got the reading off another car right by me???

Please let me know what you think about this.. . ?

THANKS, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: RADAR in California

The coating on the windshield may prevent the radar detector from picking up the signal.

Also yes the cop could have showed you an old reading as they are able to store them.
I would try fighting it though as he showed you 52 and then wrote the ticked for 53 which seems really odd.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

The SVX has a titanium oxide coating inside the windshield which filters out most UV rays from the sun to protect the vinyl on the dash board. This coating also interferes with microwave radiation which means most signals from radar detectors, garage door openers, cell phones, etc. The good part is that if there is a radiation leak from a local atomic power plant, you can park facing it and be protected.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 AM

If you were actually going 20 mph and any cop said he clocked you at 60, you are guilty. Most cops are crooked and many will issue a ticket just because you have a radar detector. Their equipment tells them that you have one. They are mostly cowards and would think you would be a safe stop. (The character of all us svx types)

If you were an astronaut and were walking on the moon at thet day and time, and this could be verified by everyone on the face of the earth, the crooked cop-judge system would still find you guilty.
Ever heard "Can't beat city hall"? That would be you.
Keith
Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
I think this is a technical QuEsTiOn. . ? I just got a speeding ticket (53 in a 40 zone). I have a great radar detector! I saw the motorcycle cop parked first in line, perpendicular to my street. Therefore, I saw him attempt to aim his radar gun at me quickly as I came by.. . BUT, I never got a beep from my detector (Valentine One)! I think he may have NOT got me with the radar gun, but he did show me a reading of 52 on his motorcycle-mounted radar gun (when I asked why he wrote the citation for 53 he shrugged his shoulders..? A little wierd!). The speed limit had been changed last April because of construction (not going on now) from 50 mph to 40 mph!

The big question is.. . Do they have a new radar band technology that is being utilized in my area (Fresno, CA) that you know of.. that would not be detected by the Valentine One..??? If not, I really wonder if this cop GOT me.. . or showed me a reading from a previous "clocking" (of another vehicle) .. or maybe he missed me and got the reading off another car right by me???

Please let me know what you think about this.. . ?

THANKS, Jim
Do not rely on what you think about your detector, whether it beeped or not. You can not rely on this. You can not use this in court.

If you feel like contesting in court, then use what you CAN state in evidence that may back up your "not guilty" plea.

1) You say he only swung the radar gun at you as you passed. They need to read you coming towards them or going away from them. Going past the junction the gun could not read you if it was a radar gun. If you point this out to the judge and say you clearly saw him do it, it may help you.
[If it was laser it could read in a fraction of a second]

2) He showed you 52 on the gun, but cited you for 53. You can swear you saw 52 on the clock. If you have a good lawyer he would use this to instigate doubt that the reading was taken off your car at all, it could have been another car in the stream.

Don't perjure yourself for the sake of a traffic ticket. If you think you were doing over 50, fess up and pay with a smile.

Don't rely on your Valentine One Jim. As Keith says, City Hall wins most of the time. Keep you nose clean.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

For the most part, radar detectors in a SVX will let you know you are going to get a ticket if you are speeding. They will not give you ample warning to slow enough to avoid getting a ticket. If you are guilty, pay and move on. The speeding traps here in Washington State are so bad, I drive the speed limit and use cruse control to stay there. I go through 2 or 3 in a 20 mile drive to work. I don't want a ticket, so I drive the speed limit.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Do what I did believe I was doing 64 in a 45. Get a lawyer, have them handle it, mine got dropped to Improper Equipment and small cost included in the 300 dollar lawyer. I did as not to have a speeding ticket on my record.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Do what I did believe I was doing 64 in a 45. Get a lawyer, have them handle it, mine got dropped to Improper Equipment and small cost included in the 300 dollar lawyer. I did as not to have a speeding ticket on my record.
Cool.

Is this a Babel Fish translation from Outer Mongolian, or is it just that your brain does not connect all the dots, literacy wise?

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Cool.

Is this a Babel Fish translation from Outer Mongolian, or is it just that your brain does not connect all the dots, literacy wise?

Lol.. I wasn't going to say anything, but glad someone did..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1˝" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Cool.

Sorry was in a bit of a hurry. Let me explain using somewhat proper English. I was pulled over for doing 64 in a 45 last year. I decided against paying the hefty fine and contacted a lawyer. The lawyer took care of all the legal aspects and got it reduced to improper equipment. The total cost was about 300 dollars for the lawyer which took care of any fees in court. I suggest just contacting a lawyer and not having a speeding ticket on your record.

Is the make you happy now?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-19-2009, 01:10 PM
The Molinator

I've heard this comment about the titanium in the windshield before regarding remote toll pay through the SVX windshield. In my case, the law enforcement agencies in CA mainly use Ka band radar (almost exclusively). My detector is programmable, so I program off X band to avoid getting many false alarms (sliding glass doors on buildings, etc.). K band pops up sometimes, but is almost never police generated anymore.

I receive Ka band signals (from police.. esp CHP, but also local police) readily in my SVX.. . Usually detecting signals one to two miles before I meet that vehicle! I drive a little fast.. 70 - 75 .. on the FWY or HWY. I would be cell mate to Charles Manson if I hadn't had the Valentine One! That's why I was so concerned when I DIDN'T RECEIVE A SIGNAL WHEN THIS MOTORCYCLE COP AIMED HIS GUN AT ME! That's why I really don't think he got a reading on me.. . But, like you say, the system is so corrupt..he can just say he DID!

The Valentine One (was $450 with remote display) has a unique system of arrows, showing WHERE the signal is coming from. This is extremely helpful as you might imagine. It shows FRONT, BACK, and SIDES. So, ordinarily I would have still EASILY got a response that close to me!

I guess I can't go to court to tell the judge I know the cop didn't get a radar reading on me since my radar detector didn't respond!

Thanks again.. . Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM

The cops lie! They all do.
We all do have some options... Refuse to pay it and lose your drivers license and end up in jail or...
pay a lawyer the money. The courts have a game and with a lawyer you would be playing their game! They like that.

Pay the ticket or pay the lawyer.

Last edited by kwren; 01-19-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
That's why I was so concerned when I DIDN'T RECEIVE A SIGNAL WHEN THIS MOTORCYCLE COP AIMED HIS GUN AT ME! That's why I really don't think he got a reading on me.. . But, like you say, the system is so corrupt..he can just say he DID!
Does it detect lasers?

(IBpewpew)

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

I had a friend I went to Wyotech with that was from Pismo Beach, CA, and he told me that in CA they have to get THREE radar readings and they have to average to over the speed limit. His dad's GF was a lawyer and told him this, he also said he used it to get out of a ticket, so I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that it's true, unless they changed the law.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 PM

<<I had a friend I went to Wyotech with that was from Pismo Beach, CA, and he told me that in CA they have to get THREE radar readings and they have to average to over the speed limit. His dad's GF was a lawyer and told him this, he also said he used it to get out of a ticket, so I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that it's true, unless they changed the law.>>

that doesnt make sense. Ka radar operates in the 33 GHz range, that means its taking readings many times a second. unless you need three different radar units averging one reading? but thats ridiculus.