SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Electronic Gauge problem

Ok well I got my digital coolant temp gauge installed and it's reading about 10 degrees higher than it should be, then everytime I turn something on like say the headlights, heat the gauge is off Big time like 40 off. I have the power from the clock hooked up to it and the ground on the bolt to the bottom right of the driver side vent. Is there anyway to hook this up so I don't get any electrical interferance? Please help!!!!!
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Electronic Gauge problem

Hmmm well since it doesnt seem like the resistance from the coolant temp sending unit would change like that..... I would feed the gauge power from somewhere else... maybe even its own lead from the fuse box. It uses supplied power to check the resistance from the sender, so thats probably why your reading changes when you use your accessories. I would also maybe try a different ground, it can have the same effect if those systems use the same ground.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:46 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks I will try out some other things. I know I tested the voltage at the clock and on the power to the cd player and there was about a .2 differance in them and when hooked up to the cd power it seemed to lower what it said by a little but not much. I had my subie mech at work take a guess and his reply was "aftermarket junk" stock gauge was better, that car isn't a Loyale.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

quickly, can you measure a difference in voltage at the gauge when the accesories are turned as opposed to off?? If the voltage varies the reading will as well.

Tom
Old 01-16-2009, 09:30 AM

Registered SVX

Yea it drops .2 or .4 depending on how much stuff I have turned on. Is there any particular power spot I should tap into so it reads as close to accurate as possible?
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 01-16-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Yea it drops .2 or .4 depending on how much stuff I have turned on. Is there any particular power spot I should tap into so it reads as close to accurate as possible?
A direct feed off the main relay would do. One that is only switched on when the key is in the run position... This will likely be the best source for your power

Tom
Old 01-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Registered SVX

Well I just ran the power straight on the battery and grounded it to the alternater bracket. It has 14v going to it rather than 13.8v. It's still off by about +5 degrees now at idle but sometimes it just rises then goes back down and still goes way off whenever their is draw on the battery. I'm thinking of putting my alternator upgrade wires back on to and see if it helps if any. Any more ideas are appreciated.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Registered SVX

Well i put my gorund cables back on and it stayed between 195-202 with nothing on which is A LOT better than what it was. Temps on the gauge didn't go over 220 with thw hids and heat on high. I'm hopoing to put a SSM on it tomorrow to see how accurate it is now as this seems like its about as accurate as I can get it.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-22-2009, 04:45 PM

Registered SVX

Still about 5 off when driving with nothing on. I sent an email to cyberdyne telling them how inaccurate my gauge is and told them did I waste my money or can they give me a solution. I'll post what they say when or if I hear from them. Hopfully they can shed some light on this.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress