Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
makeing sure im going the right direction with my trans, help!

alright, so i bought a wrx front clip a while back for the 5spd swap, blah blah blah. long story short, i lost the clip to customs. svx still doesnt run, and i just had to sell my ghetto 91 camry for money to get my license back... see the problem?

anyhow, i wanna double check with you people before i borrow the money for the trans (im broke)from my family.

alright, car was my brothers(94 awd), and one day, my brothers out doing donuts in a parkinglot in the nice wisconsin snow. the next day the rear tires stop getting power, so its went from awd to fwd. a year later, hes driving, and he hears clicking from the transmission followed by no power in any gear. just faster clicking and climbing revs. he parks it, and i give him a 92 jetta and a few hundred dollars for it. order front clip, the rest is history. well, now that im forced to buy a new car cause i dont have one, id rather fix the subie, and want to make sure im going the right direction.

driver front tire will freely spin in any gear including park now that i have it on jackstands. trans fluid was nice and red, not burnt smelling, but i found bits of metal(pieces of mangled aluminum i think) in the fluid at the bottom of the trans pan that made it through the filter. both bearings were so bad when i jacked the car up in the air, pieces of metal fell out where they meet the hub. this was a long while ago, i dont remember what size or how they looked.

would i be correct in thinking that just getting another used svx awd trans in good shape along with bearings and cv's/axles for the front will solve all my ailments?(as in all the wheels will turn again!) i ran the trans diagnostic, and no errors came up. (funny cause it sure doesnt work!!)

also, even when my brother had it, smoke came out of where the trans and engine meet. still does it now that i got it running in the first time in god knows how long... started right up! a seal maybe?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 PM

Re: makeing sure im going the right direction with my trans, help!

i tried to delete this message, but all i could do was edit it, sorry

Last edited by redlinedeath; 12-12-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

To add, I would pick up a new flex-plate and rear main seal for the engine... sound like the flex plate went and it more than likely took out the rear seal for the engine while it was at it

Tom
Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 PM

sweet deal, thanks! umm, will this add alot to my costs? i vaguely remember looking into the flex plate before, and remember a relatively cheap price, but i may be way off. rear seal isnt overly expensive either is it? im doing all the work myself, so labor isnt an issue. i may also be able to get use of a lift at a local ford store after hours i REALLY hope so!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

nah both shouldn't cost much more than $50

Tom
Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 PM

sweetness, thanks a bunch. anyone have any advice on the few ebay sellers with the short trans warranties and all that? i dont wanna cheap out on the trans itself, but the fact of the matter is, i barely haveany money to play with here