Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2008, 03:53 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: TURBOs!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
So here's my question, if I'm serious about taking the steps and planning it out, since I already have a 5 speed am I better off holding off everything untill I get a stand alone and can afford the whole shi-bang at once??

Or

Do I take one of the other options looming at me behind these mysterious doors....

Door 1: Take the sweet deal on f/i motor upgrade parts and either,
A. not build it yet and sit and look at the parts as they sit in a box... untill I can afford the turbo and the rest of it all, or
B. build the motor slap on a smaller turbo with piping and everything set up for an almost plug and play replacement of a bigger turbo?(most immediately expensive option)

Door 2: Pass up the deal, save the money and wait for EM and buy my Koni build first and just stay N/A for a while.

Door 3: Wait for EM, turbo it with a smaller turbo, like mentioned before, but run small boost on stock internals, and save for motor build.

Any suggestions?
Any one would be ok.

Honestly, if you need to be F/I right away get whatever turbo you had planned on and just run it at low boost. Some kind of EM will really help with detonation (atleast ECUtune st2v.7).

If you want to go with a smaller turbo off the bat and then get a larger one later on down the road, try and use turbos with a universal (something with a t3 flange).

A GT3076R would be a decent turbo for low boost applications (while still netting you 250-300AWHP, easily)

I would really recomend a GT3582R if you plan on milking a few more ponies out.

A GT4088R would be good for high-hp with the right build and cams.

I don't really recommend anything other than a Garrett ball bearing unit.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 11-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

jeff hartman is the guy from edelbrock(holley) right?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
jeff hartman is the guy from edelbrock(holley) right?
Umm, I guess I'm not for sure on that one...

On the "about the author" page, it just says he lives in Austin, Texas.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post

That is the turbo I have my eye on. It is basically perfect for an engine of our dislacement. Sorry this map is a bit small, but that efficiency island is RIGHT in the sweet spot for our motors with a relatively low-boost application. It would do anywhere from 300-450ish hp. pretty nicely on our motors. Of course if you started to turn it up you'd probably need some forged goodies, but you get the idea... that it is a GREAT turbo for us.

I wish I had the $$ to blow up a few of these motors. I mean, to turn things up and to know what would break firsthand instead of guessing. Then I could build a monster with some solid R&D and we could start to see what this great platform of a car is capable of.

Last edited by Nevin; 11-27-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Just some dude.

The gt35r is a great turbo for the SVX. You could hit that low 300hp range no problem. You can forget about that high 300 to 450 range on the stock motor though. You'll get detonation. So if you aren't planning to build your motor might do just as well or even better with a smaller turbo.

Just to help you read your maps a little better, not in any way negating the value of a gt35r as an option, it sounds like you are expecting your pressure ratio to be lower than what you would actually get on the street. Pressure ratio is the ratio on each side of the turbo not the manifold pressure ratio. You start sucking 400hp worth of air through an airfilter and you will find you have quite a bit of vacuum on the inlet side of the turbo. That's why on all those dyno videos you see on utube they never have any intake tubing or filters on the turbo. You can't drive like that on the street. On the street you will be running much higher up on the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
That is the turbo I have my eye on. It is basically perfect for an engine of our dislacement. Sorry this map is a bit small, but that efficiency island is RIGHT in the sweet spot for our motors with a relatively low-boost application. It would do anywhere from 300-450ish hp. pretty nicely on our motors. Of course if you started to turn it up you'd probably need some forged goodies, but you get the idea... that it is a GREAT turbo for us.

I wish I had the $$ to blow up a few of these motors. I mean, to turn things up and to know what would break firsthand instead of guessing. Then I could build a monster with some solid R&D and we could start to see what this great platform of a car is capable of.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Found a lost SVX

Thanks Nevin I will read all of those books.

I want to make the SVX community more proud of their cars with this one. I was considering trying to put the engine into a CG body to make a pretty unique car but I feel I need to keep the SVX body.

My plan right now is research, buy a house with a two car garage, buy some tools I don't have, start wrenching. Expensive plan... yes. Worth finding out truly what an SVX can do... most definitely. The only thing is I am still not sure how far from stock I want to go, I was thinking of throwing everything to the wind and fabricating lots of parts especially in the suspension. But there lies the dilemma, would it still be an SVX or would it be a monster with an SVX base shell? Do I care?

Has anyone ever swapped an STi engine into an SVX? That would turn out good I think.

Anyone know any good reading material on differentials?

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
Has anyone ever swapped an STi engine into an SVX? That would turn out good I think.
Someone was attempting it, I don't know if they ever got it running though.

The only problem there is; in all other Subarus the motor sits farther away from the firewall.

They have plenty of space for the uppipe/downpipe (along with all the other piping for a FMIC), in our engine bay you would still end up having to custom do all the piping.

Dustin

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 11-27-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
The gt35r is a great turbo for the SVX. You could hit that low 300hp range no problem. You can forget about that high 300 to 450 range on the stock motor though. You'll get detonation. So if you aren't planning to build your motor might do just as well or even better with a smaller turbo.

Just to help you read your maps a little better, not in any way negating the value of a gt35r as an option, it sounds like you are expecting your pressure ratio to be lower than what you would actually get on the street. Pressure ratio is the ratio on each side of the turbo not the manifold pressure ratio. You start sucking 400hp worth of air through an airfilter and you will find you have quite a bit of vacuum on the inlet side of the turbo. That's why on all those dyno videos you see on utube they never have any intake tubing or filters on the turbo. You can't drive like that on the street. On the street you will be running much higher up on the map.

Oh, I agree completely that anything above about 350 horse you'd really have to start spending some $$ on the motor. And as far as pressure ratio goes, yes I do understand that's why people typically dyno and just try to get the best numbers that they can. I see what you're saying, and it makes perfect sense. That's not how I roll though, I like to try to get everything exactly as it would be on the street.

Trackside weight reduction? Fuh-ged-abou-dit

p.s. there are other turbo options that are very close to the characteristics of the gt35 turbos. The Holset HX35's have a good looking compressor map as well.

Last edited by Nevin; 11-27-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Any one would be ok.

Honestly, if you need to be F/I right away get whatever turbo you had planned on and just run it at low boost. Some kind of EM will really help with detonation (atleast ECUtune st2v.7).

If you want to go with a smaller turbo off the bat and then get a larger one later on down the road, try and use turbos with a universal (something with a t3 flange).

A GT3076R would be a decent turbo for low boost applications (while still netting you 250-300AWHP, easily)

A GT4088R would be good for high-hp with the right build and cams.

I don't really recommend anything other than a Garrett ball bearing unit.

Dustin
To be honest, I don't NEED to be anything, it's more of a want ya know?

I originally was looking at the GT35R when I was originally talking with bobby about it, and then tom had put out about the GT4088R and that he had thought it would be better with a built motor and would have better results. I'd like to build and run the GT4088R but if the GT35R is significantly cheaper and similar results, I think I'd be ok doing that.

I just want to crank some higher numbers out, especially if I bust 350 wheel, then I'd be the same place as my buddy's STI so, I mean it's more of a wow, this 92 can push the same as your STI! Granted it's still heavy, but I'd like to see my SVX be up there because it's so fun to drive and I love the way it looks!

I also love how turbo cars sound and how just boosting a little air back in there can add so much more power! The only problem is with how much all of this costs.

There are so many things that I want to do to my car, both to make it faster and more fun to drive as well as adding nice stuff like a new stereo and maybe some subs.

My head is just so far in the clouds! I just am trying to bring it down a bit to reality and make some of these dreams into feasible goals. I think I'm gonna pass on that deal for the cams rods and pistons because I really can't afford it right now, and just wait for the EM and see where I am financially when that finally comes out.

Because it's not just lets go install a turbo and slap some pipes and a new ecu on it, I gotta pay the guys to tune it and all too! So... my poor ass has to keep dreaming for a while...

lol I am getting new wheels next month and got my 97 grill installed and painted finally, and I'm throwin a few things together next month... so that'll keep me busy.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
To be honest, I don't NEED to be anything, it's more of a want ya know?

I originally was looking at the GT35R when I was originally talking with bobby about it, and then tom had put out about the GT4088R and that he had thought it would be better with a built motor and would have better results. I'd like to build and run the GT4088R but if the GT35R is significantly cheaper and similar results, I think I'd be ok doing that.

I just want to crank some higher numbers out, especially if I bust 350 wheel, then I'd be the same place as my buddy's STI so, I mean it's more of a wow, this 92 can push the same as your STI! Granted it's still heavy, but I'd like to see my SVX be up there because it's so fun to drive and I love the way it looks!

I also love how turbo cars sound and how just boosting a little air back in there can add so much more power! The only problem is with how much all of this costs.

There are so many things that I want to do to my car, both to make it faster and more fun to drive as well as adding nice stuff like a new stereo and maybe some subs.

My head is just so far in the clouds! I just am trying to bring it down a bit to reality and make some of these dreams into feasible goals. I think I'm gonna pass on that deal for the cams rods and pistons because I really can't afford it right now, and just wait for the EM and see where I am financially when that finally comes out.

Because it's not just lets go install a turbo and slap some pipes and a new ecu on it, I gotta pay the guys to tune it and all too! So... my poor ass has to keep dreaming for a while...

lol I am getting new wheels next month and got my 97 grill installed and painted finally, and I'm throwin a few things together next month... so that'll keep me busy.
Reality is, with plans like this. You might not even want to go F/I.

Push comes to push, ECUtune st2v7 and a GT30R will net you a reasonable amount of hp without having to touch engine internals.

Phil is running his system on the ECUtune software so it's proven that you can run low boost with it. Your limit will most likely be 7-8psi. This is also assuming your motor is in good shape (compression is up and it doesn't burn
alot of oil).

Intake temps. and A/F ratio are gonna be the main things to watch if you do this. You really want to keep away from detonation.

Dustin

My Locker

Old 11-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Found a lost SVX

Yeah detonation sucks.

What kind of rings are on the market for SVXs? Are the stock piston rings capable of sealing 350 horses or more?

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Just some dude.

There is nothing wrong with OE rings but most svx's on the road are 92's with loads of miles and compression below what is spec'ed as acceptable by the factory service manual. Compression drops mainly because the cylinders go out of round (yes even though you can still see crosshatching). That's why there are guys on the network who swear their SVX's run great on regular while others of us know our cars run terribly on regular--the cars that run on regular have 120psi cylinder pressure instead of 170-200. Boxer engine cylinders wear on the tops and bottoms.

To get the cylinders round again they need to be honed out to at least 97mm. I can get 97mm oe style rings but still have to get heavy moly coating on the piston sides to close the sidewall clearances back up when someone wants an oe piston build. The other option for an oe piston build is to get oe oversized pistons and rings which come in .25mm and .5mm oversizes.

Of course if you are starting with 170 to 200psi of cylinder pressure you're good to go from the get go.

Camshaft design plays a big role in preventing detonation but I stopped explaining that kind of stuff in depth because certain people started running around multiple forums using what they learned from me to pretend like they are experts at things they don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
Yeah detonation sucks.

What kind of rings are on the market for SVXs? Are the stock piston rings capable of sealing 350 horses or more?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Reality is, with plans like this. You might not even want to go F/I.

Push comes to push, ECUtune st2v7 and a GT30R will net you a reasonable amount of hp without having to touch engine internals.

Phil is running his system on the ECUtune software so it's proven that you can run low boost with it. Your limit will most likely be 7-8psi. This is also assuming your motor is in good shape (compression is up and it doesn't burn
alot of oil).

Intake temps. and A/F ratio are gonna be the main things to watch if you do this. You really want to keep away from detonation.

Dustin
Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna do some heavy thinking, for now I'm sticking with suspension, new wheels and some minor aesthetic changes.

I'm gonna save for another year probably, maybe more since I'm probably looking at getting engaged soon, and well... that's a lot of money right there.

So, I'll be watching progress on f/i and see if maybe in a year or so I'll jump on it.
Quote:
... I stopped explaining that kind of stuff in depth because certain people started running around multiple forums using what they learned from me to pretend like they are experts at things they don't understand.
lol... just like people, read a few things on the internet that an expert with years of experience writes and instantly believe they are just as qualified!

I for one, feel like a newb even with the things I know, I like to keep my mouth shut except to ask questions and try and learn from people who DO know. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us lan! You are a great asset to this community and this site!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Found a lost SVX

Well thanks for the advice. I need to research more, plan better. I am going to get the car at my residence before I do anything anyway so that means driving it across the US. PA to AZ, some where like 2371 miles, 3815 km. W/e.

My research line goes;
Body work + fiberglassing + light weighting,
Power creation + Engine management,
Power to the floor + differentials + axle/ lug/ wheel options (can you put modern diffs like STi DCCD in SVX?),
Suspension + coil overs + all minor and major parts,
Brakes + rotors + that stuff,
Stickers + Lambo doors + large wings + sick nasty body kits! jk.... I might put vertical doors on it...

Old 12-04-2008, 02:43 AM

Registered SVX

actually i wonder how many people check there compression on there svx
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration