How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-22-2002, 08:37 PM
iced_out_svx

Exclamation Sightings, 5 speeds, and Top Speeds

1) May 27th, 50 to 100 miles west of Houston, Texas east bound on I-10. A blue SVX year and model unknown.

2)May 31st, Auberry Rd. just below Prather, California going up the mountain. 1995 Green SVX model unknown.

3)June 5th, West bound Shaw Ave. @ Clovis Ave. in Clovis, California. Black/Maroon year and model unknown.

I went to see Dayle of Motorsport Warehouse in Tucson, AZ. He brought out his 5-speed SVX and let me go down the block in it. Although I didn't go fast, the car is phenominal. It has a knee shattering stiff clutch (sporty) and you can knock the car out of gear at all. It will only come out of gear if the clutch is pressed all the way to the floor. The car sounds great with his exhaust and the interior is beautifully redone. I just think he needs a turbo or two. Overall the most kick ass SVX I have driven of about a dozen.

Now I know the is Dayle's 5-spd and Huck's 5-spd and one somewhere in Washington (state). But I talked to the service writer at Herwaldt Subaru in Fresno, California and he claims to have seen one in Mariposa that belongs to a woman up there. Although I have no proof. But if you are ever in Fresno, California and you need to have you SVX serviced, I sugest waiting. The techs there are horrible. Everytime I go in to have something done, my car comes out with another problem.

Oh yeah, and I went to California, but decided to come back to Florida. So that was a waste of 6,000 miles. But I do have pictures of the speedometer at 140 mph as I went through West Texas. On the way back I hit 145 mph but I don't have a pic. But since I had intended on moving out to California my car was loaded with everythhing I own making about 1,500 lbs of extra weight. I know it can go faster. Because I put up a post of 155 mph before but nobody believed it. Which is understandable with no pics. But ask Dayle, he saw the 140 mph picture and he saw how much stuff was in my car.

ICE
Old 06-24-2002, 12:26 AM
Jedi Member

So Ice... what the heck were you doing out here in Arizona? It's a far cry from wet florida where towns arn't evacuated and National Forests arn't closed till the monsoons. Also, Dayle, if I were to drive down to Tuscon someday this summer, possibly to pester my ex girlfriend, could I take a ride in the 5spd? My driveshaft is screwed right now and I'm a little sad that I am getting a new, standard length, yoke seeing as I plan on getting a longer one when I put my 5 spd in. Anyway, take care guys, and pray that the fires don't come up here to Flagstaff for me. Me and my father have been building a house and if it burns down I think he will go through a mid-life crisis. And that's it, I'm going to bed...
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 06-26-2002, 06:51 PM
iced_out_svx

140?

Can anyone prove over 140mph. I have the pics to show the car is not limited at 136 like people think. I hit 145 but only have pics for 140mph.

ICE
Old 06-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Jedi Member

I can't prove it (except for the other people in the car) but I have gone 156 down a hill before and kept the speed on the flat afterwards. There was a poll posted some time ago about top speeds and the average was around 130 but there were many stock SVX's from all years that were in the mid 140's.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 06-27-2002, 07:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: 140?

Quote:
Originally posted by iced_out_svx
Can anyone prove over 140mph. I have the pics to show the car is not limited at 136 like people think. I hit 145 but only have pics for 140mph.

ICE
Your speedo will be engineered to over-read at higher speeds. Two reasons for this. First, If you lost your license for driving at 101 and your clock only showed 91, you would be peeved and sue.
Second, if the clock is showing higher numbers, you will be flattered. They want you to think the car is fast.

For that reason I often drive 10% faster than the limit shows, because the police will usually take account of possible clock inaccuracy, and not prosecute up to 10% over the real numbers.

A real 136 with 10% fast reading will be showing as 150 in the car. As modern electronic clocks are naturally more accurate than the old analogue cable driven ones, it is highly unlikely they will be as far off the mark as 10%, even intentionally, because they have to be set for accuracy near the 70 limit. Nevertheless, you could be fairly sure your speedo is over-reading by 5% at top speed.
This will mean a real 136 shows as 142, and a real 140 shows as 147.

I don't need the photos, I believe you hit the numbers. Top speeds are invariably a few miles slower than what the speedo tells. Would be interesting to get a laser gun and check real vs indicated on a closed airfield.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-27-2002, 06:47 PM
iced_out_svx

I disagree!

When I have been radared at 72 in a 45 I was actually doing 72. So I don't know what to think of your post. Maybe that is how things work on vehicles over there. But my computer has had some work done to it too so maybe my speedo reads 100% accurate.

ICE
Old 06-28-2002, 01:27 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Not linear

If the clock is in any way inaccurate, it will read high, for the first reason, the manufacturers build in a tolerance that will not get you pulled over because of their error.

I did say the clocks will be showing accurate at about 70, which is what you are saying, so I am not sure what you are disagreeing with.

Even though the electronic clocks are more accurate than the old ones, it is possible they will be 2% fast at 70 and 5% fast at 140. You build in a margin of error using software, it does not have to be linear across the range.

I would suspect the clocks are the same, here or in the US or Japan. English magazines test cars using calibrated equipment, the "fifth wheel". What I am saying is based on 40 years of observations of the results of their tests. The actual top speed they achieve is always 5 to 10 miles an hour less than the indicated speed on the car speedo.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-28-2002, 12:13 PM
iced_out_svx

Whoops!

Sorry about that. I do see what you are saying. I wasn't paying attention to what you said at the 70mph range. I guess I'll have to make friends with a cop and see what happens.

ICE
Old 06-28-2002, 12:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Since the US gov't decided to turn off the 'selective availability' quirk built into the original GPS satellites, even consumer receivers are extremely accurate. Moving at high speeds, they only get more accurate. So they become useful tools for checking actual speed, in my opinion.

Even assuming a really poor accuracy of 30ft, that's only .5% off. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Anyway, I've checked my speedometer against my GPS and found that they both agree within 1mph up to about 110mph. I'm not going to watch TWO instruments inside my car while going any faster than that. And I guarantee that my wife isn't going to assist me for the sake of science.

It should be noted that the tinting in the glass inhibits GPS reception. I had the sunroof opened for this experiment, and the GPS was estimating an accuracy of less than 9ft. In the Jusy and the Legacy (and even occassionally in the SVX), I can get better reception than that. I still plan on mounting a remote antenna inside the trunk - I just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyway, Ice, I don't know what MY your SVX is, but '92s and '93s are drag-limited. In '94 Subaru started electronically limiting the SVX.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-28-2002, 11:55 PM
iced_out_svx

MR. P

Many people say that they are electrnically limited. BUt can it be proven. I have broken the elec. limit. It is supposed to be 134mph I have pics at 125mph 135mph and 140mph. So I guess they missed mine unless there is an explanation for this creepy stuff. Mind you, my car had about 1,500 pounds of my possesions in my car when doing this too. Therefor making the car work even more.

ICE
Old 06-29-2002, 01:47 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

hey Joe !

was nice to meet you dude.....and your friend. Glad you got
away and back safely. Thanks for the nice comments
...I wish everyone could here our exhaust the way you did first hand, but oh well. I know more people would be buying Magnaflows over everything else if they did hear our system.
Hey....got my NEW front JDM style bumper cover on the other day, fits nicely (thanks Steve) next, the cars off to get painted and Im hopefully done for a while......oh, until I get that rearend whine fixed too. Talk to you later bro......
thanks again.........Dayle

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 06-29-2002, 03:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Re: hey Joe !

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
got my NEW front JDM style bumper cover on the other day, fits nicely (thanks Steve)

I wasn't the first to get the bumper on! I SHOULD be getting my bumper tomorrow from the shop.. This will be the 3rd time it's been painted!

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 06-29-2002, 04:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: MR. P

Quote:
Originally posted by iced_out_svx
Many people say that they are electrnically limited. BUt can it be proven. I have broken the elec. limit. It is supposed to be 134mph I have pics at 125mph 135mph and 140mph. So I guess they missed mine unless there is an explanation for this creepy stuff. Mind you, my car had about 1,500 pounds of my possesions in my car when doing this too. Therefor making the car work even more.

ICE
Okay, you haven't said so yet, but I'm guessing that you have a '94 or later SVX.

Anyway, if you're seeing higher top speeds than the limiter is supposed to allow, I would guess one of two things:

1. Your ECU isn't the one that came with the car.

2. Your speedometer is overestimating by the suggested 10% and you're not really going as fast as the car says you are.

3. We're wrong about the speed limiting.

Again, I have only tested the speedometer's accuracy up to about 110mph. It is possible that it overestimates - intentionally or not - at higher speeds.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-29-2002, 08:57 PM
iced_out_svx

Mr P. I Dunno

Well I really don't know. The computer is the onw that came with the car. I believe. I did crush the bead in it. Would that make a difference? If not I'll just assume that somebody is wrong about the limiting. And I have a 1994 Ls-i.

ICE
Old 07-02-2002, 04:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
2 Sightings - Wilm. DE

Yesterday about 2:00 PM I saw a beautiful (showroom new) '92 Pearlie gasing up in an Exxon Station on rte13 & Wash. St. Extension in Wilm., Del. I made a u-turn and pulled into the station next to him. I gave him the Network card & told him a little about us. He lives in Wilm. He has the car 2 years. It was bought from the dealer as it came off lerase from the orig. owner.
He said the orig. owner put a new tranny in at 60K. The car now has ~92k on it. He loves it. He has chromed Porshe wheels on it. Not bad, but I still like the curved spokes on the stock wheels better. He also owns a Corvette, and Dodge Ram 4WD pickup. He likes this the best.

The second sighting happened last night. We were buying stuff at the drug store (Happy Harry's...local Del. chain) in Branmar Shopping Center. I parked the Outback next to a '92 Silver/Black SVX with a red pin stripe. The SVX was parked in front of the drug store. I went in, and convinced the kid playing mg'r. to ask about the SVX over the store's PA system (Who says that I'm not anal about this car). The announcement was made and no one came forward. Rosie told me to check other stores. The only other place open was the Karate accademy. I walked in and 2 little kids attacked me . . After disposing of them, I had the young lady behind the desk use the PA system. "ANYONE WHO OWNS A SILVER SVX PLEASE COME TO THE FRONT DESK."
Out ran an instructor with a black belt and a horrified look on his face. I thought that he would turn me into a pretzel.
"What happened to my car, he yelled at me !"
"Nothing, It's fine; please don't kill me, " I cried. After I got up off my knees, Rosie told me how much my courage impressed her.
The instructor Gary S. and I had a long conversation. He loves the SVX. He used to be on the Yahoo SVX Club under the alias of SVXPILOT. Some of you here may remember him. he knew about the 10th Anniv. Meet but won't make it. He is driving out to Oshkosh, WI for the airplane meet shortly. I gave him a network card and told him about the Reading Meets in April. He wants to go to Reading IV.

Larry III