Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Recommendation for powder coated calipers

Can anyone recommend the best place to get powder coated parts for the braking system.

I want red.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:59 PM

Re: Recommendation for powder coated calipers

Sorry. Just searched previous posts and found lots of ideas.

Please posts any though if you have better ideas.

I found TriNet and Nugeon red powder coated calipers.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Much simpler and cheaper is to paint them. I found VHT high temp caliper paint is an absolutely awesome product. If you wanted them powder coated I assume you'd already planned on removing them from the car. Clean them down really well, and spray on several coats of paint. To get the best result, place everything on a cookie sheet and bake it for 60 minutes at 200 degrees. The paint comes out super hard and durable. I used it on my rear sway bar last fall, and all I have to do now to make it look brand new is brush it off.

One note: Don't go too heavy on the coats, as it will run.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 09-19-2008, 02:31 PM

Wow. This sounds fantastic.

Saves a boat load of money.

How about cleaning then when you wash your car ?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Nothing to it, everything wipes off pretty easily. A big part is how smooth the surface is to begin with. I know someone here put a bunch of time into smoothing his calipers before getting them powder coated and they came out awesome.

Edit: Found it. Clicky.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 09-20-2008, 01:17 AM

Registered SVX

Had two sets done one in black one in red from Brakewarehouse.com there Nugeon brand Photos attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0934.jpg (748.9 KB, 167 views)
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM

Dont know which way to go either paint them myself (actually my excellent mechanic) or, have someone like Brakewarehouse do them.

One thing is for sure is that I dont plan on buying brand spanking new ones.

My mechicanic told me one of my calipers (rear right) is questionable looking because he said something like the calipers may be rubbing something. Then he said there is no fluid leakage so it should not be a problem but he has to take them off first to see.

My rear pad and rotors are definitely rubbing.

If all is okay then I will have him paint them since all roters and pads are also being replaced.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

hmmm From my understanding, the paint fades. It doesn't take long either. 1 year? 2? Leaving you with dull pink calipers.

Kind of a you get what you pay for type thing.

Anyone can correct me if i'm wrong though.

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX

my brother has done the spray caliper paint stuff
however it does come off eventually - harsh canadian winters i guess

i would like to get my calipers painted as well...but the better one seems the to be the set where you have to brush on a few coats
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 09-21-2008, 11:13 AM

Since the rotors and pads are being replaced and thus the calibers are coming off and being bled of fluid, I will try the self paint route.

I am going to tell him to do a lite coat and dry 10 tens.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Nothing to it, everything wipes off pretty easily. A big part is how smooth the surface is to begin with. I know someone here put a bunch of time into smoothing his calipers before getting them powder coated and they came out awesome.

Edit: Found it. Clicky.
That would be me. I went a step beyond the normal to get a really smooth and glossy finish, that's why I used a flapper wheel on a hand grinder to remove most of the rough sand cast marks. This was a LOT of work, so be sure you understand everything that is involved in powder coating before going down that route:

- First and foremost, calipers need to be completely disassembled before getting coated. You'll need compressed air to get the pistons out. The first set I took apart took me an hour. The second set (Sicksubie's - a work in process) had a piston stick, which ate up another hour to avoid damaging the piston. Set aside a couple of hours if you've never done this before.
- Almost of the SVX brake components are stainless and clean up nicely. Have some scotch brite and old toothbrushes handy as this will speed up the cleaning without scratching the surfaces.
- Disassembling old calipers will almost certainly destroy the boots and since rubber components age badly anyway, so you might as well rebuild them - you can still get factory Subaru rebuild kits for around $50 for both front and rear sets.
- The powder coating process heats the metal to 450F, so leaving the calipers assembled is pointless anyway as you'll burn off anything rubber. Unless you do these at home, no powder coater will take assembled parts.
- The fact that the powder flows and is cured at 450F makes this finish SUPERIOR to any painting option. The finish is impervious to just about any chemical. I once did some WRX calipers with the 2-part epoxy caliper paint kits and the finish looked pretty good, but everytime I washed the wheels and the calipers, the water that dripped off them was tinted red, an indication that the coating was coming off, albeit just a bit at a time.
- For the powder coating to be consistent, powder coaters will insist on a spotlessly clean surface. With aged cast iron calipers, that means sandblasted to a bare metal finish. Most powder coaters offer that service or have someone local to do it. My coater charged $20 additional.
- Powder coating gets EVERYWHERE, so the coater will mask surfaces you don't want coated. The more he masks, the more time it takes and the more it will cost you. It's wise to have them mask the piston bores, but don't bother with the thread bores. All you'll have to do is run a tap through every tapped hole. So to do this yourself, you'll need a selection of metric taps. My coater charged me $60 bucks for all four calipers and brackets coated with another $20 for the sandblasting.
- Powder coating is thick and will flow to fill small surface irregularites, but the smoother the surface is to start, the smoother and shinier it will look when it's all said and done. Expect to spend about 20 - 30 minutes each caliper and 15 - 20 minutes each caliper bracket. Altogether, you'll have at least a couple of hours in the smoothing process.
- Plan on tossing the bleed screws as they will likely look like hell. New ones are available at NAPA for around $2 each.

In summation:
- Caliper disassembly and cleaning - 2 - 3 hours
- Powder coating cost $60 (my source.) One place in Knoxville wanted $55 EACH.
- Sandblasting (if you can't get them blasted yourself) - $20
- Freight - These are heavy, so if you ship them, expect around $20 each way. (I delivered and picked them up, so no freight charge for me)
- Caliper rebuild kits - $50
- Prep time after coating to chase all threaded holes 0.5 - 1 hour
- Rebuild time - 1 - 2 hours (less if you've done a few sets)
- Bleed screws $8

Out of pocket, you can expect to spend anywhere from $140 - $250. It really depends on how much the coater charges. I use a great guy who does a lot of machine parts for our company, so I get a break on cost.

Time - it really depends, but you can easily expect half a day's work to take everything apart and clean and another half day to put it all back together once the parts come back from the coaters.

It may sound like a lot of work and it is, but the results speak for themselves. The powder coating looks as good after three years as it did the day they went on. The calipers clean up with some simple green and the spray from a garden hose - brake dust just falls off the smooth surface as the pores of the stock rough sandcast marks are completely sealed.

I'm finishing up a set of black ones for Sicksubie and will stop there for a while. I will take his old ones as a core and will therby have have another set to coat in the future. I highly recommend the time and trouble to have them coated as they will look great and stay clean for the life of the car. If we could get a bunch of old calipers, I bet I could arrange for a great group rate on the coatings. Maybe it's time for us to hoard some junkyard calipers for just that purpose.

Last edited by gsodonis; 09-21-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Holy sh__
Thanks for this info.
With painting them I get it done cheaper but obviously with less quality.
Maybe I will just buy the new ones. Damn.

I dont know what to do.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

AFBeefcake used to do them. I got a set from him years ago and they still look great. Haven't chipped or cracked a bit. I don't know what he used or how he did it but they still look awesome.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 AM

gsodonis, I think I am going to first try the self paint route to save a little cash rather than powder coating.

Thanks so much for all the details that you oulined. I will save all these steps and eventually I am certain my self paint job will disappoint me and I will try powder coating.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
AFBeefcake used to do them. I got a set from him years ago and they still look great. Haven't chipped or cracked a bit. I don't know what he used or how he did it but they still look awesome.
LOL I don't know what I used ether. I cleaned them up and disassembled them. then I brought them to a powder coat place and reassembled them after with new seal kits.

Its really time intensive to do a set.