How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-21-2002, 07:04 PM
billisa

remote door lock

Lately, after driving, my remote sounds (peep, peep, peep) the horn, but doesn't lock the doors. It acts as though it needs to unlock the doors. If you hit it again, the doors then lock. It's like it's out of sync. This is intermittant, not constant. Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2002, 08:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I think that means that your alarm is not on. You're only locking and unlocking the doors, but not arming the alarm.

KuoH
Old 06-21-2002, 10:58 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Well, it should be constant. It means you've turned off the security switch. I usually have to turn mine back on after cleaning the interior. One swipe of the rag usually turns off the security switch. Turn it back on and you'll begin to get the 1 for lock 2 for unlock signals.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-23-2002, 06:56 PM
billisa

you are right

I had turned off the security switch. But what if I don't want to activate the alarm and just want to use the remote to lock/unlock the doors? This seemed to work fine for a while, then all of a sudden seemed to go out of sync. Any other thoughts?
Old 06-23-2002, 08:39 PM
sith

I think i've noticed the same thing lately - I have the alarm off while im back in wisconsin, and a few times i swear i've heard the tripple beep saying it's locked, but then i come out later and it's unlocked. I need to do some more investigating.. perhaps it is just confused...
Old 06-24-2002, 12:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
As far as inconsistancy, try pushing the security switch on and off, rapidly a few times. There's a TSB that spoke of corrosion of the contacts in the switch in the 92's. Clicking it on and off a few times might clean the contacts. Meanwhile, just turn the security switch off to use the remote to lock/unlock doors without arming the security system.

Sith, I've had the same thing happen to me. I've noticed, that sometimes, if I'm standing close to my car, I merely have to put my hand in my pocket and (apparently) static electricity will cause the remote to activate, unlocking the doors after I have locked them -- especially when it's cold.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-24-2002, 07:43 AM
sith

I was just leaning towards the possibility that I've gone insane... but if you're giving me a technical excuse, all the better!
Old 06-24-2002, 08:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
If this is an old remote, it could simply be a sign of a worn out button. When a button gets old, it either doesn't work at all, or does so with seemingly random results. If your remote has the "secret" second button, I would try reprogramming the alarm to that one and see if you still have the same problem. You would not believe the amount of static I seem to be able to generate on virtually any surface when the air is dry. Sometimes, it feels as if I've generated enough of a spark to spot weld metal together! But I have never had a problem with the remote, except for it's short range and battery life.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Sith, I've had the same thing happen to me. I've noticed, that sometimes, if I'm standing close to my car, I merely have to put my hand in my pocket and (apparently) static electricity will cause the remote to activate, unlocking the doors after I have locked them -- especially when it's cold.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:02 AM

Registered SVX
Kuoh, you spurred another possibility: there is a tiny black wire that attaches the small circuit board to the battery clips. I think this is what creates the transmitting antenna. Early on, mine broke, which severely shortened the range of the remote. I soldered it back on, and it has been good to go ever since.

I haven't had the short battery life that I've heard so many folks complain about. I've been running the same battery for two years now, without a problem and I use it several times per day. The range isn't as good as I'd like it, but, I get about an extra 20 feet or so with "the chin."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-24-2002, 03:08 PM
billisa

further afield

My problem is similar to Sith's and I don't think can be explained by static electricity. If one hears the triple beep, then the doors should lock or unlock depending on what sate they are currently in. What I have noticed is this gets out of sync. Upon exiting the vehicle, security off, I have stood 2 feet away from the car, heard the triple beep -- and NO LOCK. Then, hitting the remote again, LOCK. This shouldn't be, and I doubt it has anything to do with static charge. I think somehow the system forgets whether it is locked or unlocked. Perhaps the security system being off creates this possibility, but it is not a consistent problem.