How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Motorcycle Fanatic.

About to buy an SVX, need opinions.

First a foremost, I really need an unbiased opinion on this. While I appreciate the "BUY AN SVX WOOOOO" fanclub, it's not the type of advice i'm looking for. I used to own a 91 Audi Quatro, so I am right there with you when it comes to the love of rare cars. So here is the nitty gritty of the car.

92 LS-L (with all the options)
105k miles
Some kind of weird ass dark purple lol <--I'm a male, I don't do "fancy" color terms.
Aftermarket Rims (with another set of aftermarket and a car cover with the purchase)

The lady that owns it bought it used with 1,200 miles on it. Apparently the original owners didn't like the car or the windows. At one point it was taken to a mechanic for an undisclosed issue and the Fan Clutch (it seems) was jury rigged to a switch beside the Gear Column. Basically you flip the switch, then hit the auto button on the AC and it turns on, very weird. The plug from the fan originally was unplugged, I plugged it in and flipped the switch on the column, all the sudden I get smoke from burning wires. I flip the switch back and get ready to put out a fire with my hands. I got lucky lol. No fire, but that system needs replaced without a doubt. Battery was dead both times I showed up, but it had been sitting once for 6 months and then for 2 weeks with only being ran for 5 minutes. No big, new battery ./shrug

I took it to Goodyear and went over the car with them. It needs rear wheel bearings, cam seals, crank seals, and the power steering seems to be leaking from an undisclosed location. They guessed the power steering gear (a term i've never come across). Left rear tire was dry rotting (been sitting for 6 months) so it needs replaced. A timing belt and possible water pump was recommend since the engine was already being pulled. I agreed, total rough quote was 1200$ parts and labor.

I also slammed it once or twice to feel for transmission slipage or flat spots in the power curve. I couldn't feel a damn thing except my head getting pushed back. It pulls to redline in 2nd gear, so I'm guessing a very agressive ECU settings stock or someone has hooked it up and changed it.

She wants 3000$ for the car, 1200$ to get it up to speed, 4200$ worth it?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: About to buy an SVX, need opinions.

To fix all the stuff mentioned, $1,200.00 sounds very low. To me $3,000.00 is a bit much for a car with so many issues, you'll undoubtedly find more problems in the near future.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamshuck View Post
Some kind of weird ass dark purple lol <--I'm a male, I don't do "fancy" color terms.
Burgundy.

No fire, but that system needs replaced without a doubt.
Agreed.

Battery was dead both times I showed up, but it had been sitting once for 6 months and then for 2 weeks with only being ran for 5 minutes. No big, new battery ./shrug
$70-100

It needs rear wheel bearings,
$130-500

cam seals,
$80-500

crank seals,
$200-2000

and the power steering seems to be leaking from an undisclosed location.
$1-???

They guessed the power steering gear (a term i've never come across).
$860-1200

Left rear tire was dry rotting (been sitting for 6 months) so it needs replaced.
$240-600 All 4 must be replaced or risk destroying transfer clutch, axle, whatever. You might get away with just one of the tread matches.

A timing belt
$50-300

and possible water pump
$100-400

was recommend since the engine was already being pulled. I agreed, total rough quote was 1200$ parts and labor.
For what?

It pulls to redline in 2nd gear, so I'm guessing a very agressive ECU settings stock or someone has hooked it up and changed it.
It should pull to redline in every gear. I don't recommend testing 3rd or 4th just yet.

She wants 3000$ for the car, 1200$ to get it up to speed, 4200$ worth it?
Gonna be way more than that unless you plan to do some of the labor yourself, or have some sweet competent mechanic friends to hook you up.

$1700-5600 <- somewhere in there.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 09-02-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Motorcycle Fanatic.

You are thinking along the lines I was. The 1200$ quote had me raise my eyebrows as well. Apparently they are just going to pull the engine and do it all at once, simple destruction/reconstruction. I won't argue with it though, cheap work is hard to find.

In relation to the 3000$ for the car, I need to evaluate a better offer to give her. Any suggestions for bargaining?

As to problems in the near future; My only major concern is a transmission blowing. I happen to have a 4.44 outback tranny laying around as of 2 weeks ago. Some kind of weird massive amounts of luck.

It's a shame its going to cost so much to fix, it really looked like a nice find.

EDIT: I'm going tomorrow to get a general quote for the parts alone. Maybe if I buy them seperately I might save some cash if it isn't stupidly expensive and I decide not to buy it.

Last edited by williamshuck; 09-02-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:31 AM

Wish it wasn't so, but I think the asking price is high.

Does the seller have maintenance/repair receipts dating back to when she acquired the car @ 1200 miles? Has the transmission been replaced? The radiator? Engine oil and ATF changed regularly?

I think the jury-rigged, smoldering wire fan business would concern me more than the transmission.

Good luck,
dcb
Old 09-03-2008, 06:11 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Wish it wasn't so, but I think the asking price is high.

Does the seller have maintenance/repair receipts dating back to when she acquired the car @ 1200 miles? Has the transmission been replaced? The radiator? Engine oil and ATF changed regularly?

I think the jury-rigged, smoldering wire fan business would concern me more than the transmission.

Good luck,
dcb
Ditto. Weird wiring says the owner didn't know what they were doing, but thought they did. Who knows what else they messed with on the car.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Motorcycle Fanatic.

Got ahold of the mechanic who did the wiring. Apparently something in the wiring harness had rubbed through, and shorted. She wanted it fixed for cheap so he bypassed the plug instead of tracing it like he should have.

The woman knows jack about cars, I told her what the manual button did, she blinked and said "Is that good?" ./sigh

I'm going to have to let this one go, if anyone wants to take a swing at it for a parts car ect give me a holler.

The engine bay is the cleanest i've ever seen, there is no doubt the car is in awesome condition, its just 16 years old.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Network Design Administrator

What to look for in a used SVX.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.