Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 AM

Registered SVX
Question clicktick ?

i am about to buy my 2nd svx since the last one that resulted a complete wreck. the only little problem ,the car have a little cliking that looks like coming from BOTH sides of the engine (by the cam cover) i have read many posts about clicking ticking,seen many videos of svx owner taking attention to noise coming out of engine and most of them (even my first svx) were doing almost the same sound ,i think. considering that my old baby ended with a big crack on radiator head where oil fluid+water spred everywhere under the hood ,resulting a blown engine.i am REALLLY scared about buying a new svx without knowing in what i am going in.

i have notice that on both cam cover there is a good leak from the gasket i dont know if this could be with the small clicking problem. i have gone to a subaru dealer he tested it (removing connectors 1 by 1 ) to see if there would be a piston fail. there were no changes ,but he considered the fact that the car had about 130 000 miles,maybe a normal click. the guy told me that maybe piston could be a little loose because the click would go even faster with higher rpm ,BUT it would keep the same loud ,in fact he did'nt know at all what was going in there.

my questions are...

could leaks coming from cam cover wouldn't help the valve adjusters ?
maybe it could only be oil injectors ?
maybe it could be because the car did not start since i dont know how many day and valve injector were a little "dry" ?
are you guys having a little noise kinda anormal processes of engine ?
i am pretty sure its not flexplate. doesnt sound like a clackclackclack...very hard to describe
if it's a normal noise it would make me happy.
if its a problem should i fix it before worst happens?
the sound looks like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf70yJtQcMY
or like this but its not the knockknockknock , its really the thinner song tictictic....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKkuP1-Nnak&NR=1
i'd like to have the help from you guys before going to the conclusions

considering the fact that the guy selling me the svx spent about 15 000$ over 2007 to fix paint,rust, crank seal,rebuilt transmission 50 000 kmbefore,and some other part and the only reason he sells the car for only 4000$ !!! is because hes stuck with cancer in his bed.i am very confident that the guy didn't careless about this car, his wife keeps telling me that he was considering the car as his baby before he got sick.

i love svx , for crusing, racing and drifting during winter , since i lost my old one its standing here in my parking lot looking at me everyday i leave home for work. i could tell myself pretty handy with mechanic even if i have never worked as it i am able to think and work maybe i could work by myself with a little help on this website. it's been awhile i am reading posts here on this forum and the svx manual cd ,taking every possibilities.

i am sorry if i made a lot of mistakes but english is not my first language and i keep reading and reading what i have wrote to make it easier for you , thanks for the help

Last edited by Francis; 08-21-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:43 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: clicktick ?

4000 for a car with 130k doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

The ticking, from what I can tell, is pretty much normal. The HLA's (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters) tick rather noticeably. Every SVX I've been in or heard has some ticking from the valve cover area. Heck, every Subaru I've been in with HLA's has ticked like that.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 AM

i have a tick in mine but i know its only the injectors working the rest of the engine is so silent thats all i can hear
Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 AM

Registered SVX

4000 $ not so bad after all payment he did on it , bills approved. and it is in very very good shape except under the hood(leaks) and not working antenna and right passenger window, but hey i got spare pieces in old one

Last edited by Francis; 08-21-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:53 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post
i have a tick in mine but i know its only the injectors working the rest of the engine is so silent thats all i can hear
yeah this one too ... but i dont wanna blow another engine ...i'm still traumatized lol. maybe i should sell my car to and get to work in bicycle
Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
4000 for a car with 130k doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

The ticking, from what I can tell, is pretty much normal. The HLA's (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters) tick rather noticeably. Every SVX I've been in or heard has some ticking from the valve cover area. Heck, every Subaru I've been in with HLA's has ticked like that.
well it was aproximative....how much it is a car with 235000 km , in miles ? meh ...i think its a little more than 130 000 miles....damn

Last edited by Francis; 08-21-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:27 AM

235000K=144,022 miles

And SVX's seem to cost more in Canada than the States.
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt
Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
235000K=144,022 miles
Not a lot of miles at all for an SVX!
Proper maintenance should get 300,000 miles easily.

Good luck with the project.

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 08-21-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: a SVX didn't sound right... an SVX! not sure about that either.:lol:
Old 08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Keith
300,000! Great! I got another 200,000 to go. Should last me for the rest of my life
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 AM

Registered SVX

if ya say that the clicking is normal. what kind of major repairs have you done on your car around 235000K=144,022 miles?
anyone ?
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill
Old 08-22-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Not a lot of miles at all for an SVX!

Good luck with the project.

Keith
I think dessertrunner got over 400,000 kms out his first engine

cam
Old 08-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Registered SVX

oh well, just letting you know that convinced me , i bought it. going to post pictures of car soon. i am getting in a new project, trying not to mess it up with this one . i hope i'll resolve problems of this car before winter most important (cam cover leak ) and maybe minor ones...passenger window not moving,antenna not growing and the exhaust tip pulling out cause of rust...i seen many post about the goods of flowmaster-80 exausts i'll probably go for it

i've done many research and future projet will probably go there...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ght=tail+light
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Subaru-SVX-Comple...2em118Q2el1247
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/25712.pdf
changing headlights + taillights

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/30457.pdf
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...e+light&page=2 http://www.cnysubies.com/forum/viewt...p=14101#p14101
changing dash lights

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133
http://www.ecutune.com/svx-stage1.htm
a little more power control

and this usefull aftermarket website http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...net/index.html

probably going for manual transmission but not for now it is still doing good.

any comment ,anything that would improve the car that i dont know ? any bad sories about any of these projects ?

i would like to thank everyone for making this website sooo much usefull . if it wouldnt be of this website , i guess the svx's would be a lot more undiscovered . very good site !!i hope this can help newbies on this site too!!
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill

Last edited by Francis; 08-24-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
oh well, just letting you know that convinced me , i bought it. going to post pictures of car soon. i am getting in a new project, trying not to mess it up with this one . i hope i'll resolve problems of this car before winter most important (cam cover leak ) and maybe minor ones...passenger window not moving,antenna not growing and the exhaust tip pulling out cause of rust...i seen many post about the goods of flowmaster-80 exausts i'll probably go for it

i've done many research and future projet will probably go there...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Subaru-SVX-Comple...2em118Q2el1247
I have a comment about the small car performance.
The company is ok by me but the new headlights are just a new front that I consider mickey mouse at the best.

I suppose sawing off the front section of the headlights and gluing a piece of plastic with silicone glue on the front is just not my cup of tea.

There are several refinishing kits out now that do a great job on sprucing up the headlight appearance and lasts pretty well.

However, I have to admit, the new style grill is "cute"

Good luck with all your projects!!

Keith
Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 AM

Registered SVX

you find this looks kinda cheap ?
oh well i guess anything but having fckn yellow headlight would be less cheap than what it is now....

you think a good refinishing job would be better ?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
you find this looks kinda cheap ?
oh well i guess anything but having yellow headlight would be less cheap than what it is now....

you think a good refinishing job would be better ?
Works for me
The mickey mouse thingie is inferior material as well.

too each his own

Keith