IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 AM

Re: electrical questions after 5spd swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluo View Post
Hi,

thanks! I will check that. I use a 92 Legacy 2,2 starter. When i turn on ignition, i hear the relays in the engine bay. But nothing from the back of car (fuel pump).

Greetings
Check your fuel pressure as well, If your filter is pretty old think about changing it. That should be changed any how if it is old. Check resistances on injectors if you are still curtain its a fuel problem. Troubleshoot takes patients and time. Hope this helps a little. I found that grounding my negative battery terminal to the frame was a mistake as well and instead grounded my negative to the starter bolt that holds it to the transmission worked great for me. I will be grounding the tranny and motor to the frame in the near future just for a little extra safety. Don't forget to check all you vacuum line for leaks as well. Even though they may be connected they could still have leaks.

Brandon770
Old 04-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Hi SVX guys ,

problem isnt solved yet .

I installed the speed sensor. fans working great now. When i check ecu error codes, i only get error 12 (the starter switch). so it cant be the temp sensor?

I try to describe my problem in detail. When the car is cold, i have to pump the gas pedal 3-5 times, and when i want to start the car i need to press gas pedal to get the car started (if i dont do it, the engine wont get fuel i think). then, after 10 seconds the engine try to start , rpm goes to 700-800 and the engine stops again. then, i try it again , and immediately when the engine goes up to 700 rpm, i press the gas pedal to reach 2000 rpm. after 5 seconds the ecu control the A/F and rpm is normalizing.

When the engine is warm, and i want to start the car, i have to press only abit the gas pedal, but the car runs immediately after i turned the starter on.

Could it be the fuel pump? When the engine started, the car drives as normal as ever. Is there a fuse for the pump?

When i turn ignition on, i cant hear the pump from back of the car.

Thanks in advance

Greetings
fluo,
This sounds like the same issue I have with my XT6 that I swapped a EG33 into, it is a real beast to start when it's cold....does better in the summer but still an issue, once it is warmed up, it starts perfect.

I Believe my issue is a fuel pump issue, as it is wired to run at 100% the whole time, where in a SVX the ECU modulates the signal to the fuel pump via the ground...so maybe your's is fuel related too for some reason....replacing the fuel filter sure wouldn't hurt, but ither than that I don't know what to try on it....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-12-2009, 06:40 AM

Hi,

I just checked all lines and fuel pump. all ok! The fuel filter is very old. But how can i check it? Its a round metal tube near the battery , but i think i cant open it. Its just a tube without an opening. Now i will work on the old starter wiring. Btw, which 2 pins of the 4 wire plug for the shifter shall i jump? The two red/white ones or the black and brown ?

Greetings
Old 04-12-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I just checked all lines and fuel pump. all ok! The fuel filter is very old. But how can i check it? Its a round metal tube near the battery , but i think i cant open it. Its just a tube without an opening. Now i will work on the old starter wiring. Btw, which 2 pins of the 4 wire plug for the shifter shall i jump? The two red/white ones or the black and brown ?

Greetings

Eeek... I couldn't tell you off the top of my head for my car is a 1996 so it might be different then yours. What i did is I fallowed the wires from the shifter to the the the connector. Not the manual button wires but the other two. It will be the two wires next to each other on the prong. If need be jump each two that are side by side to each other when the key is on and it will be the ones that do not turn on your manual light. It will not be the two middle wires so jump the two side wires on each side. On mine if I remember right it was the black w/ white stripe (possibly yellow strip I don't remember but it was the only black w/striped color) and a solid black in the middle right next to it. On the complete opposite side (the one I didn't use) it was green w/black stripe. Again this is from memory and I could be incorrect on colors. If you PM huck369 he might be able to confirm.

Last edited by Brandon770; 04-12-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:32 PM

Hi guys,

thanks for your tips! I tried all possible until now. The only things, that i didnt checked yet , is the fuel filter and the starter. You use an Impreza starter? Ok, my 2,2 Legacy starter has a transmission in it, maybe its really abit slower than the others. Thats the one i use. (http://www.alanko.de/images/product_...ges/2352_0.jpg).

Greetings
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 PM

that starter will and should work fine manual and auto starters are different but most manual starters are all the same some are geared some are not but they all bolt on and work I have seen a starter from an early 1800 on an 2.5 Outback
So when you say it takes 20 secs to start,it is cranking for that long?

Last edited by legacyau; 04-12-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 AM

Hi,

yes its cranking. It sounds like engine gets no fuel. But maybe its really the temp sensor, although its not in ecu error list? Could it be possible? Cos i checked all (without fuel filter).

Greetings
Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Hi guys,

starting works now! Problem was the battery. I tried 2 batteries but both only had 40Ah . I tried a last time with a 60 Ah battery and now it works fine.

The SVX speedo is connected but i cant install it in the Legacy turbo transmission.

Because the svx speedo looks like this one (http://www.flow-improver.de/shopdeut...igital_132.jpg) and the legacy turbo sensor looks like this (http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/D/D/86378842.gif).

So, I would say, that the legacy is a mechanical sensor. On the european svx transmission, theres no other sensor (maybe some internal), only this one.

Can I use the old Legacy sensor (both sensors have 3wires) ? Or what can i do to fix it?

Thank You in advance!

Greetings
Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Have you removed both the SVX speed sensor and the Turbo Legacy Speed sensor, and tried to fit the SVX one into the other tranny.....?
Because all the trannys I have dealt with were set up for a mechanical speedometer cable, that the speed sensor just fits into the original cable location, and converts the rotations to a pulse....
Basically, I'm saying it should work....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Huck, he has the JDM style speed sensors. Both speed sensors in the auto of his car were like the VSSI in the US trans. Try sending a PM to DessertRunner to find out how he was able to overcome this

Tom
Old 05-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Huck, he has the JDM style speed sensors. Both speed sensors in the auto of his car were like the VSSI in the US trans. Try sending a PM to DessertRunner to find out how he was able to overcome this

Tom
That makes sense, but I doubt Subaru would have come up with a completely different system for the speedo output.....but stranger things have happened for sure...
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 05-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
That makes sense, but I doubt Subaru would have come up with a completely different system for the speedo output.....but stranger things have happened for sure...
They did. The phase II operates the same way. Issue is, the VSS2 that he has reads the same kind of signal, just at a much higher rate. We had to slow it down for Peej when we did the phaseII swap. I am not sure you could speed it up like that though for his application. I am not sure how Dessertrunner did it but I would imagine it was similar

Tom
Old 05-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Hi,

yes thats my problem. both sensors are 3wire sensors, but the svx one is a magnet sensor and wont fit in legacy turbo transmission. I dunno, if i can use the leggy sensor.

the svx auto transmission has only 2 big connectors. (i think each connector has 16 pins). and 3 of them go to the sensor.

greetings