Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-17-2002, 12:33 PM

Help!!! Oil Spill

i have no clue of what is going on. just had my oil changed abouts a month ago. the oil is pretty clean on the dip stick. no burning smell, the oil is just really low. i think that it could be a leak...just don't know from where. any help would be helpful, anothers having this problem???

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:14 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Help!!! Oil Spill

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i have no clue of what is going on. just had my oil changed abouts a month ago. the oil is pretty clean on the dip stick. no burning smell, the oil is just really low. i think that it could be a leak...just don't know from where. any help would be helpful, anothers having this problem???

Kelli
One trick is to park your car over a piece of clean cardboard overnight to see if it has been dripping, when you wake up in the morning.

When was the last time your PCV valve was changed? If it's "inop" the oil may be blowing through your system. We'll stop there, since further speculation (and this is speculation, mind you) would be a little less fun to think about.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-17-2002, 01:26 PM
Lowered SVX

i had a pretty nasty oil leak a few months back.....

and it was bad cam and crankshaft seals. expect to spend very little on parts and a lot on labor if this is the problem. i would check the oil drain plug and oil filter first. they always have young careless kids working at these quick lube places.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-17-2002, 01:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: i had a pretty nasty oil leak a few months back.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
and it was bad cam and crankshaft seals. expect to spend very little on parts and a lot on labor if this is the problem. i would check the oil drain plug and oil filter first. they always have young careless kids working at these quick lube places.
Yes, I'll never forget the young, careless, idiot that changed my oil, just before the Canaan Valley meet, and didn't tighten my oil drain plug -- it fell out a third of the way on the trip. Oh. Wait a minute. I changed my own oil for that trip. I'm such a dope.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Lowered SVX

ahhh memories......

randy, you and I seem to have so many stories to tell.

i can faintly remember one rainy evening.....and lots of puddles....
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-19-2002, 10:20 AM

Lightbulb

well, i just got my car back from my original mechanic and he said that it is probably leaking from the cam shaft seal behind the timing belt. he refuses to fix it. he told me about a mechanic down the road who works a lot on Subies. i called him today and it turns out that he actually knows what a SVX is. even better so he owns one. his wife uses it as a winter car because of the way it handles. there is another man who works for him who has dealt specifically with subies for 20 years. he has done many fixes on that one so ladies and gentleman, i think i found a new mechanic.

my old mechanic said that it will probably be around $260 to get it fixed? any idea of if that is right or wrong?

wish me luck...i might need it

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:24 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
well, i just got my car back from my original mechanic and he said that it is probably leaking from the cam shaft seal behind the timing belt. he refuses to fix it. he told me about a mechanic down the road who works a lot on Subies. i called him today and it turns out that he actually knows what a SVX is. even better so he owns one. his wife uses it as a winter car because of the way it handles. there is another man who works for him who has dealt specifically with subies for 20 years. he has done many fixes on that one so ladies and gentleman, i think i found a new mechanic.

my old mechanic said that it will probably be around $260 to get it fixed? any idea of if that is right or wrong?

wish me luck...i might need it

Kelli
260 Bucks sounds like an extremely reasonable price to me. If you're about due for Timing Belt, you might have that changed at the same time. Likewise ALL cam and crank seals, while he's there. If you're at all unsure of the condition of the water pump, I'd go ahead and have that changed also. But then, that's just me.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-19-2002, 10:26 AM

my old mechanic also said something about a seal fixer called Lucus??? how would that work?

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 06-19-2002, 01:16 PM

well, after getting an estimate of fixing my car is going to run me $400-500.....OUCH and my warr doesnt cover it...: (

really sad and out now....

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 06-19-2002, 03:05 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yup, that 'seals and gaskets' exclusion sucks. So many people get whacked by it, not knowing what to look for when they buy the warranty. The trick (and the mech should have known this) is to call in a repair for something else, like the water pump, and you can pick up the few extra dollars needed to replace the seals while they're in there.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:33 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Beav - Are you advocating committing fraud?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Yup, that 'seals and gaskets' exclusion sucks. So many people get whacked by it, not knowing what to look for when they buy the warranty. The trick (and the mech should have known this) is to call in a repair for something else, like the water pump, and you can pick up the few extra dollars needed to replace the seals while they're in there.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:29 PM
The Road Less Traveled

No, I think he's advocating a REAL CLOSE inspection of the water pump.

VK
Old 06-20-2002, 12:30 AM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
No, I think he's advocating a REAL CLOSE inspection of the water pump.

VK
"Hmm, yep, this one is definitely not new. Yesiree Bob, you definitely need another one."

The warranty plan I'm on covers certain seals and gaskets (including cam and crank) if they are damaged by an internal part or something. Maybe something will break on me and I'll get new ones. I looked under the engine and noticed that the stuff coming out from the bumper undercarriage holes is definitely oil. But I haven't had any standing leaks yet on the driveway. Level is still at Full mark after 2500 miles.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:27 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by MoreIBNR
Beav - Are you advocating committing fraud?

No more than the underwriters that use that clause are advocating that jerking the customer around is a fair business practice. They know damn well that 99% of the customers won't catch that when they peruse the contract in the 32 seconds they look at it at the dealership. I understand that not taking the time to read it fully is their fault, but how many do you expect to know enough, especially after being beat on by a few salesmen/women, to catch that, even if fully read? Sorry, but that's why I personally drop my morals and ethics down to their level. When you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

I realize that being in a somewhat related business you won't appreciate my insights on this, but if we all stood on the same side of the boat it would sink.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:24 AM

my warr does cover labor. the labor is the most expensive part/ this mechanic has an inside hand on svx parts because as i have said, he owns one..maybe the warr will cover some of the labor. i should put my B*TCHIN' mouth on when i call and find out abouts it.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"