SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-12-2002, 07:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sith

This is something I've thought about doing for a while, the problem is that... Subaru probably would see this as one of the times to send a nasty letter from their lawyer. They may not care too much about posting brochures and such, but posting a $150 copywritten document probably wouldn't be cool with them (assuming the found out). I'm not sure it's a position that the club wants to be put into.

That said, I'm trying to work the proper channels at subaru to find out about getting authorized to do this. So far they haven't replied to my calls/emails. Jerks.

-Colin
Don't post the damn thing on the net , just scan it into a data base. Then SVXers could e-mail someone who has data base & he/she could e-mail the proper maual secton(s) the person with the problem.

Larry III
Old 06-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t
Are we going to have a secret handshake?

-Mark

Yes. The official club handshake will be performed in the following manner. Upon meeting another SVXer, the hands are extended to the mid-forearm area of the opposite member (GRIP). The hands of both members then slide down the arm towards the hand of the opposite member (SLIP). Once the hands have met in the normal fashion, the standard handshake applies (GRIP).

This procedure either symbolizes the, "From the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip" slogan; or the 2-3 tranny flare. This would cover the "good, the "bad" & if performed by LarryIII & myself, the "ugly".

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 06-12-2002 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Re: Copywrong

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Sith, I came up with this point before, and Randy replied along the lines he would not be too bothered about Subaru's sensitivities, as they had not supported all the people who had tranny trouble with the cars.

In a fair play tribunal, this attitude would merit support, and be seen as reasonable justification.

In an actual court of law, no matter the presumption of justification, it would be immediately deemed as infringement of intellectual property rights.

For all that Subaru, or any manufacturer, could claim copyright on an image such as contained in a brochure, no lawyer or company is going to sue for dissemination of these images over a website or by fax say. This is because by publishing it, you are actually aiding the purpose for which the brochure was designed, to promote the company and the product. No judge would see otherwise.

Publishing technical information produced by the company, while the company is still selling that information, is a whole new ballgame. I would urge caution here, it could turn out to be a case of "Publish, and be damned"

Joe

Emm....a breach of copyright is a breach of copyright - plain and simple. Whether or not the information is still published by that company is, for legal purposes, irrelevant as to the presence or otherwise of copyright.

Although many of us here are breaching it left right and centre (pictures on our web sites and the like) but to have a pool of dues being expended for purposes of purchasing the manuals solely for the purpose of disseminating them to paid members so as to avoid them having to pay for it themselves will meet with a veru nasty letter from the solicitors for SOA and perhaps FHI (depending who holds the copyright, probably the latter).

If people choose to say...make copies for others as amongst themselves, then that is something that is not sanctioned by the club but to upload a set for downloading would be!!!

Sorry to be a doom and gloom merchant

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-12-2002, 08:46 PM
sith

Re: Copywrong

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

For all that Subaru, or any manufacturer, could claim copyright on an image such as contained in a brochure, no lawyer or company is going to sue for dissemination of these images over a website or by fax say. This is because by publishing it, you are actually aiding the purpose for which the brochure was designed, to promote the company and the product. No judge would see otherwise.
To continue what Jam said... unfortunatly it's become the case that companies are more than happy to sue over any mention of their name / trademarks, and 99% of the time they have won. EG, all the fan sites for TV series that have been shut down for posting pictures of the cast members or sound bites. Or the groups of old ladies who have been threatened with lawsuits for sharing sewing patterns on email lists. The wonders of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act mean that pretty much anything you do with a copyright in the digital realm is illegal, punishable by $250,000 fine per offense, and some insane jail term. Give it 10 years, eventually the masses will rebel - perhaps when they realize that they can't record any programs off TV anymore, or that the TV industry is calling them criminals for daring to fast forward/not watch commercials - see http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/5/2/22720/40202.

Sorry for the off topic rant, modern copyright law is just a bit of a sore spot with me.

Short answer: I have no doubt that if subaru got wind of a full copy of the service documents being passed electronically, we would *very* quickly recieve a very nasty letter from Subaru Legal.

Sigh...

-Colin
Old 06-12-2002, 10:03 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Re: Yikes!

I've paid my dues. Keep in mind that north of the border, it's really 3rd world country territory, and that the dues in USD represent a year's wages in Canada (well, not yet, but our dollar's getting there...).

Now STAY OFF the Canadian Turf! Besides, with the Canadian weather, we don't want you to freeze your jujubes off.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

SOLD!

Send your donation to the address on the appeals notice.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:54 AM
mark10t

<<Originally posted by mark10t
Are we going to have a secret handshake?

-Mark
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. The official club handshake will be performed in the following manner...................>>

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mark
Old 06-13-2002, 10:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Yikes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

Agreed! I think Larry's missing the big picture - at least he was wearing them and not holding them in his hand.

Beav,

You obviously were not at the last mini-meet between Ron & Randy. There is now a Box-O-Briefs.

God save the queen and God save us all !!!

Larry III
Old 06-13-2002, 01:34 PM

Re: LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Never2phat

He he he How ya doin' chickie?
B.C.
i am doing abouts the same as my SVX
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.