Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2002, 05:25 AM
ravi

help with SVX insurance

hey everybody, I am 21 right now. The insurace for SVX is pretty high for SVX right now. It comes over $3500/year. My insurace ends at the end of the august. If I don't find any cheaper insurace, I am gonna have to sell my lovely SVX. Is there any company you guys know who will offer low rates for SVX? Common, help me out here so I can keep my SVX. Please let me know the company and also the number I can call, thanks.
Old 06-09-2002, 05:40 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
$3500/year??? Is Baltimore that bad or is it your driving record? There's a few years between us (o.k., 25 ) and I've got a clean record - State Farm costs me about $600/year for full coverage.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:01 AM
greg

ME too!

Mine is a little more than Beavs but State Farm also here. I too have a clean record and it is alot more than beavs ($1,500) I think I am getting raped! I am going to call them Monday!
BTW, I am single and 28. It didn't go down much at all when I turned 25 (10%) And since I am NOT getting married I guess I will have to pay the higher insurance premium. I know in comparison that the insurance will cost less than the wife so i have learned to accept that!
My mother's is a little over $1,800 per year for her SVX , BMW 740 , and a Mercedes "E" ( but the mercededs is insured on a seperate policy for some reason unknown to me so for 2 cars it's $1800) with PRUDENTIAL. But she is good friends with the agent (does that matter?) and the multiple car discount saves her some but she is not married either and has a clean record. But she also has home owners, 2 boats, 2 boat docks, 3 cars, life and any other insurance she can get... All with the same company (does that matter?)
Hope I helped? Good Luck!
-G

Old 06-09-2002, 09:35 AM
gcookaustin

I had to get insurance right before I turned 21 so I'm on the ~$1200 per year plan, but after the 6 months is up then it will be $350/6 months. That is through State Farm, and with a traffic ticket too (maybe they don't know about it? ) Try esurance.com
Old 06-09-2002, 09:42 AM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
All I can say is WOW!
Mine is $700/year full coverage with a $250 deductible.
But then again, we have 2 cars, homeowners, I'm female, married, over 25, no violations or accidents...............

~~ Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 06-09-2002, 10:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
mine's about $1200 a year, full coverage, 500 deductable... then again, my dad is the driver of my car it says, 5 cars under his name

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 06-09-2002, 01:06 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Mine is $1000 a year from AAA. I am 17 and the primary driver of the SVX.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:17 PM
smokinsvx

Geico

228 for 50/25/50 , uninsured motorists, 5k medical per person,
58.00 for comprehensive
47.00 for collision

250.00 deductible

this is for 6 months

check geico or state farm
Old 06-09-2002, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Here in Kansas it's just under $300 for 6 months with 0 deductible on comprehensive and $500 on collision with State Farm.

KuoH
Old 06-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: ME too!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SVX'in
My mother's is a little over $1,800 per year for her SVX , BMW 740 , and a Mercedes "E" ( but the mercededs is insured on a seperate policy for some reason unknown to me so for 2 cars it's $1800) with PRUDENTIAL. But she is good friends with the agent (does that matter?) and the multiple car discount saves her some but she is not married either and has a clean record. But she also has home owners, 2 boats, 2 boat docks, 3 cars, life and any other insurance she can get... All with the same company (does that matter?)
Hope I helped? Good Luck!
-G

Uhhh...SVX'in, is your mom coming to the BIG MEET?
An SVX, a Bimmer, a Merc & a couple'a boats? I'd like to say, "Hello", heh-heh.

Ron, (will do chores for food).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:27 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Cool

Ravi - go shopping, or buy a 'Vette & lower your rates, ha-ha. IF you have no moving violations, & no claims on your policy, you should be able to go bare-bones coverage & cut that in half. If you can find a company that doesn't list the SVX as a performance car, you've won half the battle. Of course you COULD get married & move to the 'burbs.
...NAAAAAH! Good luck - Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 06-09-2002, 08:39 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
This is all pretty interesting, but there have been threads like this before.

Insurance rates are heavily dependent on your location, your age, driving record, coverage and a few additional items.

You have to expect that Baltimore is going to be a lot more than Colorado - especially if you are not in Denver.

That being said, I would try State Farm. Primary reason is that they don't classify it as a sports car. Most companies do (at least they did in 1993 when I changed companies) and the surcharge is significant.

Others to try - Allstate, GEICO, USAA (if you qualify - though they probably class it as a sports car, but their rates are low).

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:58 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I have a Liability policy from Farm Bureau, cost me about $130 every 6 months, I've got a clean record, married and 37, I've got 3 cars on for a muti-car discount, and my house, and my motorcycle ($39 a year by the way).
So if you want cheaper insurance, get a bike(but not a sportbike )
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-10-2002, 06:38 AM
ravi

hey guys, thanks that everybody is showing so much concern. I am not the primary driver of the car, my dad is. car is under his name. Anyways, I don't have a clean record. I have two moving violation. I think the company I am right now, they rate SVX as the sports car. I need to find something better. I would try state farm, and see what they say.
I have got one more question. I will be going to university next semester. I will be living over there. So the only time I will be driving her will be on weekends. Is it possible that my dad buys the policy and doesn't add me as driver, so I think it will lower the insurace. But if he doesn't add me, will the insurace still pay if I am driving and something happenes?
RON - Since you live in same area as me, what are your rates and what company do you have. Anyways, I saw you one day on I-95 near exit of I-195. I was in my girlfriend's honda that time, thats why you didn't pay attention to me. Anyways, see you around in columbia area.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:08 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

RON - Since you live in same area as me, what are your rates and what company do you have. Anyways, I saw you one day on I-95 near exit of I-195. I was in my girlfriend's honda that time, thats why you didn't pay attention to me. Anyways, see you around in columbia area. [/B][/QUOTE]

RAVI - I was with GEICO up until last February when I changed to State Farm. My change was basically prompted by a deal that gave me a discount on my home owner's insurance. I also have no moving violations & am slightly over the age of 25. The SVX is considered a performance car by State Farm & I claim business use which elevates the rates slightly. I have $250.00 deductible collision. Price is about $800.00 annually.

If I were you, I'd beg dad for mercy & pay him the difference in costs on his policy. Then try to stay out of "the fast lane" for 3 years. Good luck, Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K