Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

the makeshift valve was put back on because the car stalls when you put the clutch in when hooked up normally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
More or less yes. But there is a slight possiblity that the cams are indeed leaking compression. Now besides that, the idle is controlled by the computer. Because the idle is controlled by the computer I had to install a manual valve to make up for a lack of software changes to increase the idle. This was all explained to Nate before he picked up the car. And when the car was here (before his mech there took all of my vacc hose modifications off) it did idle... just not all that well... Which I also explained before he got the car.

Tom
Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have already explained to bobby the function of the valve and he should have no issues getting it set up for you. I am sorry for the troubles you are experiencing with the car and I will work with bobby to make sure everything gets set right. I called twice today but no response.

Tom
Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

2 cylinders are low, but still pulled 175whp at 6,042rpm, peak torque was at 5,900 rpm.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I know, i got the call from Bobby today.. Those cylinders may be where you are losing your oil due to some rings. Very odd for this to happens this soon in the engine's life. Let Bobby install the catch can and go from there. We can only hope you don't need to get new rings. BUT if you do need them, I would be more than willing to work something out for putting a short block together for you. Those are some pretty good numbers too by the way

Tom
Old 01-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Compression test showed that 4 cylinders were in the 182-188 range and the remaining two cylinders come in at 155 and 142 respectively. This is indicative of pretty good ring wear especially on the cylinder that came back with 142........
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

i didn't need knew rings when the cams went in and i only need new rings now because 2 quarts of oil wasn't put back in when the valve covers were off before driving 6 hours at 3k rpm. solution: tom buys the engine he neglected for the cost of a ccr engine replacement, i'll even leave the cams in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I know, i got the call from Bobby today.. Those cylinders may be where you are losing your oil due to some rings. Very odd for this to happens this soon in the engine's life. Let Bobby install the catch can and go from there. We can only hope you don't need to get new rings. BUT if you do need them, I would be more than willing to work something out for putting a short block together for you. Those are some pretty good numbers too by the way

Tom
Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
driving 400~miles 2 qts down is not going to cause significant ring wear that quickly.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
2qts down you'd have to be absolutely beating on the car for DAYS to kill the rings. The bearings would be in more trouble from a lack of volume. Since the 'Ru ain't knockin', you ought to be rockin'

Odds are the compression was down before the cams went in. Did either you, or Tom check before the work started? If not, you honestly don't have any reason to blame him for this.

No offense, but without proof, it all ends up hearsay, and that my friend, won't stand up in court.

ALWAYS remember, CYOA
Cover
Yo'
Own
A**
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 01-20-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

okay then, well this confirms that tom should've done compression tests, that he said were so easy to do, before he put cams in a motor with 103k miles. tom said the motor was just getting broke in and was good for another 100k miles before he said the cams would be "no problem".
Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

civil cases rely on a preponderance of the evidence, not probable cause, that's why O.J. lost in civil court and not in criminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
2qts down you'd have to be absolutely beating on the car for DAYS to kill the rings. The bearings would be in more trouble from a lack of volume. Since the 'Ru ain't knockin', you ought to be rockin'

Odds are the compression was down before the cams went in. Did either you, or Tom check before the work started? If not, you honestly don't have any reason to blame him for this.

No offense, but without proof, it all ends up hearsay, and that my friend, won't stand up in court.

ALWAYS remember, CYOA
Cover
Yo'
Own
A**
Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Oil capacity for the EG33 is what, 6.5 litres? So 6 and a bit quarts. Now, on a little compact that only runs 3.5 L of oil, being down 2 quarts would be a huge deal. But for an SVX, being at 2/3 oil capacity isn't going to cause any short term damage.

There are many tests that are easy to do, but there's no reason to do them unless asked, or if it's SPECIFICALLY part of the job being done. I work in a shop that specializes in high performance tires, but does basically everything on your every day cars. If someone comes in asking for a tire rotation, I'm NOT going to check the balance of the wheels UNLESS THEY ASK ME, because they're not paying for me to check the balance, and it's not part of the job. Balancing only takes a couple minutes per wheel, but it's not part of the job I'm doing at them moment.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Closed Thread