Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
Dashboard removal...

can the dashboard be removed without removing the wiring that would allow the car to start?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to track down a short, and even while on my back underneath the dashboard, I find it way too cramped under there to see much of anything. I was thinking if I could remove the dash panel and instrument cluster, and then start working, any sort of smoke rising from the problem area could easily be isolated and dealt with in an effective manner.

Let me know what you think.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

I've never removed a dash before, but I know sometimes you have to disconnect your battery or other electronics to prevent shorts and other electrical damage to stuff, but I would assume that once you get it out anything you had to disconnect could be reconnected!?! Good luck
Old 01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

In short, yes. All the main harness to start and run the car is located in the steering column and under the dash but not physically attached to it(aside from a few snap clips here and there)

-Adam
Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
Thanks...

I believe that the grounding issue is actually in the engine compartment, and I found one connector laying ON the left front axle. It looks nice and worn down, so I can only suspect that's the issue. I took the alternator down for a test, and they showed it putting out 28.5 volts

I think the alternator is toast.

I DID get the car started, although I had to keep the pedal depressed or it would simply slow down the idle and die off. Turns out there's a nice valve cover gasket (at least) leak which drops oil right onto the exhaust manifold, which loves to heat up and make the carport smell of burning oil.

With that said, I've abandoned plans for getting the car running enough to take it to the dyno for a baseline. I guess it'll have to wait until after the car has been cleaned up and repaired, and the engine and transmission have been rebuilt. I'm in the process of removing stuff to get the engine out of there, then do the transmission.