Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

Lightbulb i already thought about this

basically i looked at the price of a 92 911 c4 w/ 103k miles and the answer was 19-22k. i even seen a 97 for 22k. if i were you i would stick with the upgrade shop and invest in your own website and advertising. personally i think remanufactured engines with nitrous would be the most profitable avenue. i would also advertise it as svx H6 by giugiaro instead of just "subaru" svx. another option a full 450hp sti powertrain by S&S performance engineering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
What would you pay for an SVX that was fully restored SVX?? Including a list of the following with a 3 year 30kmile warranty?

Full repaint. that means the engine bay and everything
New bushings all around (upgraded bushings where applicable)
Rebuilt engine to stock specs
rebuilt transmission with upgraded valve body
Under body stripped and coated with rhino liner
New front and rear axles
New front and Rear wheel bearings
New struts and mounts
Refurbished stock wheels or aftermarket of choice w/ new rubber
New quiet exhaust system.
New seat covers and refurbished interior bits
New radiator

As I plan on expanding my business with Its Just Eric and Mike621 this is something we may be interested in doing. Granted we could not roll the odometer back legally as far as I know, this car would have virtually 0 miles on it. What do you honestly think??

Tom
Old 11-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Those are all things readily available elsewhere. These are services that we can provide no problem. more or less I am talking about parts that people can buy across the country and we can ship them. BTW pics of the shop will be posted in the moving the shop meet thread in an hour or two. ITS HUGE!!!

Tom
Tom,
ah, I was adding them as things that most SVXi need and not everyone is mechanically inclined to install
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Tom,
ah, I was adding them as things that most SVXi need and not everyone is mechanically inclined to install
-Bill
ah... I gotcha

Tom
Old 11-11-2007, 12:13 AM
aka sir_romeo

Send a message via MSN to kuroneko_sama Send a message via Yahoo to kuroneko_sama
look at the Coach Builders Limited company that made a fortune making elderados and other cars that were never made into convertibles (but should have) into convertibles, they make a FORTUNE

http://www.coachbuildersltd.com/

and for the record the grand national was a mclaren edition turbo regal (turbo LeSabre in 86) it also shared the platform with the monte carlo

the 94-96 impala SS was a modified caprice designed as a full sized car with a younger "additude" featuring the ironhead lt1 corvette engine its basically the result of a gm employee noticing a modified caprice and showing it to the ceo of gm who liked it enough ot put it into production.

who knows subaru may like it enough to redesign

but yeah, there are people out there and its certainly something worth doing... id be willing to have a production company film the process for future TV use if you do decide to do this. maybe get some publicity on one of the tuner/rebuild shows
Car #26..'97 SVX Silver (120k and climbing)
previous SVXi:
Car #24..'94 SVX Ebony 216k (sold)
car #18..'97 SVX LSI "Ebby" Pearl 175k (sold)
car #19..'97 SVX LSI Brilliant Red 103k (sold)
car #14..'92 SVX Claret LS-L Touring (sold)
car #13..'94 SVX Laguna Blue LS (sold)

Last edited by kuroneko_sama; 11-11-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:33 AM
I kill more trannies then god

Quote:
well this is only one of the ideas for the new shop. Couple things going into planning are below

-Mild turbo kit(stock engine)
-High power turbo kit(built engine)
-Exhaust in a box (bolt on exhaust systems in 2 forms: Quiet and performance) Able to be shipped.
-Woodgrain painting (for all your who want paint matched interior panels)
-ToMyx Intakes
-Refurbished headlights
-Tinted tail lights
-Big Brake kit by Wilwood

This is only the SVX specific stuff, I also plan on doing more work with other Subies. We will also be refurbishing cars that have not had the best lives in order to flip them and make a little extra money on the side. Just a peak in to things available in the future

Tom
i'd be up for a turbo kit
Old 11-11-2007, 02:22 AM

Registered SVX
Tom,

Advice/opinion from someone who has travelled the business road.

At this early stage do not tie up capital in such a project. Retain as much working capital as is possible, otherwise your hands will be tied in respect of flexibility. Who knows what is on the horizon.

Do nothing along these lines unless direct requests and firm orders confirm a positive demand. Do not anticipate that you can create a demand. This thread would indicate that you are already wary in this regard.

A thriving business has been established here in NZ exporting world wide, as new and modernised Jaguars. Extravagant people will pay to showcase an original, but it must be recognisable to those they wish to impress. Look what I have got is the theme. Accepted that the pleasure of driving a special car ices the cake.

The SVX does not cut the mustard. The car exists but not the hype. We all know how good it is, but few others do, as they have not been told. Sadly at this stage a market does not exist for rebuilt cars ex stock. IMHO rebuilding to order is the way to go.

May your project go well, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Old Guy

Tom, several years ago Nissan bought up a bunch of original 240Z they had sold (in this country) under the Datsun brand name, a popular and desirable car both new and used. Nissan took these cars and disassembled them to bare bones, rebuilt them and marketed them as "rebuilt" new 240Zs. They were rebuilt using "improved" technology to correct a few inherent flaws in the original design, otherwise they were true 240Zs. This seems to be what you are proposing to do. Trevor has given you some good advice. I don't know how well these "rebuilt" 240Zs sold in this country or elsewhere. Did Nissan recoup their expenses? I don't know. They can afford to lose money on such an enterprise just for the hype value, but you can't jump into this without knowing up front that it has good profit potential. Check around and see what Nissan did with their project, then make your decision. Good luck.
Preston
Old 11-11-2007, 07:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
I have to agree with Trevor, a buyer should be found before you take on the expense. For all the "I would spend the money if it were available" people out there, you have to remember. This is the same forum that was up in arms over your wanting high dollars for your car. I feel that a totally restored SVX would be worth the money just like I felt your car was worth the money, but I don't know if it would be practical. Just look at Nissan's plan to restore 240s about 10 years ago. It was factory backed but still never happned.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Maniac modifier

good stuff... Thanks guys. This was an idea and I was posting to see if there was a demand for it. I am seeing more or less there is not but for anyone who does want one we will offer this as a service. Built to order sounds good We are going to be starting up slow and working our way through it. We do not plan on over-extending ourselves at the moment. Today, we sign off on the lease and begin our endevour. Wish us luck and be sure to stop in during our moving the shop meet, not only for having some good fun but also for our HUGE garage sale

Tom
Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Actually, I had in mind doing this to my SVX when I retire it from the track. I already have most of the mods that I would want. I could use a better radiator than the stock one, and might want to do something with larger swaybars. There are also probably some bushings that I havent gotten around to. I might consider a built engine, with the Ecutune cams. The big things would be an interior clean-up, including a patch of a sun-dried tear at the top of the rear seat, cleaning up my filthy engine bay, and a complete and quality re-spray in the stock emerald pearl. For a really good quality renovation, I would be willing to pay $20k for the cosmetic renovation, and maybe another $6-10k for the engine and suspension work.

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Maniac modifier

If you wanted to do this Dan, it would probably be about 20k for most of it but with the ECUtune designed motor, it might be a little more expensive. The sway bars... I gotta see about making them. Not sure on the cooling temps etc...

Tom
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Thumbs up very good point

i'm surprised i didnt think of it. built to order for deserving enthusiasts is the way to go, unless your name is Ruf or Callaway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides View Post
Tom, several years ago Nissan bought up a bunch of original 240Z they had sold (in this country) under the Datsun brand name, a popular and desirable car both new and used. Nissan took these cars and disassembled them to bare bones, rebuilt them and marketed them as "rebuilt" new 240Zs. They were rebuilt using "improved" technology to correct a few inherent flaws in the original design, otherwise they were true 240Zs. This seems to be what you are proposing to do. Trevor has given you some good advice. I don't know how well these "rebuilt" 240Zs sold in this country or elsewhere. Did Nissan recoup their expenses? I don't know. They can afford to lose money on such an enterprise just for the hype value, but you can't jump into this without knowing up front that it has good profit potential. Check around and see what Nissan did with their project, then make your decision. Good luck.
Preston
Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Tom:

It would be a project for late 2008. Don't know if you are interested in something that far out. I have to absorb the cost of my Ultralite first, then do the SVX, but it is definitely in my plans.

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Maniac modifier

cool we will talk then

Tom
Old 11-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

You can use this SVX on EBAY as a price guide: